• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pilot working on single lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

102 fan

In GB, when a track circuit fails on a single line, is pilot working, where a qualified member of staff acts as a human token, still used?

It's just I was talking to a friend today who said it had been replaced with some form of technology.

Thanks in advance !

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

High Dyke

Established Member
In some cases Modified Working is permitted, provided it fits a specified criteria for the respective signal boxes involved. This is quicker to implement. However, use of 'Pilot working', using a human token, must be introduced as soon as practically possible, afterwards.

fulmar

Yes, "Working by Pilotman" will generally need to be introduced, although there are certain exceptions.

As already mentioned, "Modified Working" may be introduced where permissable. This allows one train to proceed on the authority of a form either provided by the signaller or dictated over the radio (drivers are required to carry a stock of these forms). Modified working applies to one train only and must be re-introduced for each subsequent train.

If the line is operated with a token system there is no need for working by pilotman if the driver is in possession of the token.

If it is a bi-directional line there is no need for working by pilotman if trains are only allowed to proceed in one direction only.

There are some other locations as detailed in the Sectional Appendix where Working by Pilotman is not required. These exeptions only apply to certain track circuit block or ERTMS lines.

alxndr

Established Member
Yes, I’ve known it to happen on the single line between Thingley Junction and Bradford Junction (so Chippenham - Melksham) a few times last year due to track circuit problems.

CC 72100

Established Member
As already mentioned, "Modified Working" may be introduced where permissable. This allows one train to proceed on the authority of a form either provided by the signaller or dictated over the radio (drivers are required to carry a stock of these forms).
No need for drivers to carry Modified working tickets. There should however be blank forms ('tickets') available to drivers. For example, on a single line normally worked by Token, this may be in a locked box in the Token Hut next to the Token Machine, for example.

Only degraded working form that a driver must have on them is an NR3190 Emergency Special Working ticket, but ESW can only be used on lines signalled under Track Circuit Block regulations.

TheEdge

Established Member
Modified working can be used on the Norwich Sheringham branch to get trains already on the branch on the move before needing needing pilot working.

Although some of the hope there is the majority of times running a train through the failed section can often reset it and fix the problem.

Eccles1983

On Moderation
No need for drivers to carry Modified working tickets. There should however be blank forms ('tickets') available to drivers. For example, on a single line normally worked by Token, this may be in a locked box in the Token Hut next to the Token Machine, for example.

Only degraded working form that a driver must have on them is an NR3190 Emergency Special Working ticket, but ESW can only be used on lines signalled under Track Circuit Block regulations.

This isn't correct for the two toc's I have worked for.

Both have mandated that drivers must carry an rt 3185 (signalling irreg) rt 3177 (modified working) and the nr3190 as stated above.

Modified working is only permissable in areas declared in the sectional appendix, and must be authorised by area control on each occasion.

CC 72100

Established Member
This isn't correct for the two toc's I have worked for.

Both have mandated that drivers must carry an rt 3185 (signalling irreg) rt 3177 (modified working) and the nr3190 as stated above.

Modified working is only permissable in areas declared in the sectional appendix, and must be authorised by area control on each occasion.
Interesting - we are 3185 and 3190 only, working on the basis that a 3177 will be provided or made available at the 'start' (or near to) location if needed.

fulmar

No need for drivers to carry Modified working tickets.

Interesting how things vary across the network. Carrying the forms is mandated at my TOC. There is only one location on the routes I sign where Modified Working is permitted. It's a one train working line without train staff. The controlling signalbox is about 30 miles away. There is nowhere else locally where the forms could be provided.

I always think it's a shame that there isn't some sort of official forum where staff employed by all the TOCs and FOCs could discuss this sort of stuff amongst themselves.

Last edited:

Falcon1200

Established Member

In Scotland, at one time Modified Working (MW) had to be authorised by the Local Operations Manager, who generally work 9-5, not shifts. Which was fine if they were on duty in the office, but not so good when they were on-call and might, for example, be out shopping. The duty was therefore passed to the Route Control Manager, far better as they work 24/7/365, except perhaps for times of extreme weather disruption when there could be multiple sections under MW at the same time: The most I had was three.

Status
Not open for further replies.