• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Places to catch Class 92s?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgwrich

Established Member
I'm heading up to the midlands during this week, is there anywhere that's any good to catch some photos of Class 92s? I know they used to stable in Rugby, but I'm not sure if this still takes place.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

leomartin125

Not many given that they are so underused to due many issues. I would say your best bet would be Stafford, and your chances of seeing them that far North are not very high. One operates daily, 6L48 GBRf 92 on the Garston to Dagenham Car Train empties. And one operates on the sleeper but that's at 2am + so maybe a tad early in the day. Anything you catch other than this is STP and so your best bet is to go and see what turns up.

Stabling in Rugby no longer takes place.

Steve wakerly

I'm heading up to the midlands during this week, is there anywhere that's any good to catch some photos of Class 92s? I know they used to stable in Rugby, but I'm not sure if this still takes place.

No 92's stabled at Rugby now. one regular working of a 92 is 6L48 Garston to Dagenham, through rugby around 1910, returns around 3am on car carriers.

Harbornite

Established Member
Coincidentally I saw 90019 Wagner heading south today being hauled by 90035, from Crewe to Wembley. I haven't seen a DB 92 for quite some time because I don't get down to Dollands Moor much.

leomartin125

Coincidentally I saw 90019 Wagner heading south today being hauled by 90035, from Crewe to Wembley. I haven't seen a DB 92 for quite some time because I don't get down to Dollands Moor much.

This is an example of a move that sometimes happens, sometimes doesn't. And when it does occur, it may not use any 92's and could be 90's instead.

You mean 92019 right?

Harbornite

Established Member
Indeed I did, I'll correct it later. The Crewe TMD- Wembley is a regular weekday runner but the locos vary, I've seen 59s and triple 90s on it before. I am aware that 92s will appear if they have received attention at Crewe. I didn't say it was a regular 92 job!

Freightmaster

Established Member
This question cones up every few months on here - here is the last discussion,
with some good replies and suggestions:

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=130406

But in conclusion, if you want to see them actually working trains
in the Midlands won't be easy, as the DB example rarely venture
north of London these days and apart from the aforementioned 6L48,
GB's 92 mainly work in Scotland, although they are gradually starting
to make more appearances on the Caledonian sleeper trains, but that
would mean a very early start (or late finish!) at somewhere like
Nuneaton or Rugby.

good luck! :)

MARK

p.s. if you want any timetable info, send me a PM (I think there is one going spare!!!)

fgwrich

Established Member
This question cones up every few months on here - here is the last discussion,
with some good replies and suggestions:

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=130406

But in conclusion, if you want to see them actually working trains
in the Midlands won't be easy, as the DB example rarely venture
north of London these days and apart from the aforementioned 6L48,
GB's 92 mainly work in Scotland, although they are gradually starting
to make more appearances on the Caledonian sleeper trains, but that
would mean a very early start (or late finish!) at somewhere like
Nuneaton or Rugby.

good luck! :)

MARK

p.s. if you want any timetable info, send me a PM (I think there is one going spare!!!)

Thanks Mark and everyone, I probably should have used the search facility first but things may since have changed. I'll be coming up by train, but as their not stabling at Rugby anymore I'm more inclined to come up through the Chilterns instead. As for photting them, I'm about to detail up a Lima model so ideally locos that have stopped would be a better bet, fortunately I'm booked on the Sleeper in the next 2 months so I'll see what I can get in Glasgow and Edinburgh.

How often do they stable in Crewe by any chance?

Status
Not open for further replies.