• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Planing a visit to London and York

Status
Not open for further replies.

quattrohead

Hello all,
I am planing a visit back to the homeland from the USA and want to go to the York railway museum and also catch as many trains and underground as possible in a day or 2.
I will be flying in to Gatwick and catching the train to Hastings.
Really would like to catch some of the oldest stuff running before it gets scrapped. Also tips for the cheapest way to do all this.
I will be based in Hastings area (class 421 and thumpers were my younger day staples)
I will also spend the day at Spa Valley when it is open in Feb.
Cheers all.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Don't forget the Rail Museum in York is in two distinct buildings, many people forget to visit the other half. Best of luck for your trip.

Also, you might consider a bus from York to Pickering to use the North Yorkshire Moors Railway.

Last edited by a moderator:

High Dyke

Established Member
Also check out Man in Seat 61 for information about travel etc.

Depending on your "oldest stuff" requirement, then a few older type EMU's operate from London Liverpool Street on suburban services. Merseyrail also has a number of 507 / 508 EMU's operating still. Northern, Transport for Wales, East Midlands Railway and Scotrail use DMU's that are over 20-years old.

Veteran Member
Also check out Man in Seat 61 for information about travel etc.

Depending on your "oldest stuff" requirement, then a few older type EMU's operate from London Liverpool Street on suburban services. Merseyrail also has a number of 507 / 508 EMU's operating still. Northern, Transport for Wales, East Midlands Railway and Scotrail use DMU's that are over 20-years old.
Ex-BR DMUs: 158/9 out of Waterloo, 165/6 Marylebone and on GWR, 15x most areas away from London except E Anglia. EMUs, SW/SN 455s, SE 465s.

From Hastings, 313s on Coastway around Brighton (not often at Hastings IIRC).

NYMR is not running this winter owing to bridgeworks.

quattrohead

I don't plan to do enough trips to make the all lines rover ticket worth while, but it would be great for many weeks of long term travel.
I will make sure to visit both York buildings, I plan for a whole day there and no one else with me, so if I want to geek out I will.
Been looking at Man 61, good info and so much to think about, thanks.
Hope I won't get arrested for being creepy hanging around a London station lol.
Class 313 eh, not something I had considered but close to me and vacuum pumps, how nostalgic !!!!

jfollows

Established Member
Whilst I can understand that an All Line Rover is too expensive for your needs, you could also investigate the Britrail pass.
You need proof of non-UK residence to be able to use this, so look at the terms and conditions carefully to ensure you can comply with them.
I myself used one in 2000 when I was living in the USA so I made sure I carried proof of my residency with me.

Western Sunset

Established Member
Hope I won't get arrested for being creepy hanging around a London station lol.
I was up in London last week and had absolutely no trouble at any of the termini I visited. Indeed, at Paddington a member of staff asked if I wanted my picture taken standing alongside a Class 800.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
I never been myself, but there is a railway museum in Shildon, Durham, not too far from York, might be possible to fit into same day possibly, not sure, but you might be interested.

quattrohead

Does the national rail website not like Grand Central ?
I was trying to book LNER 1 way and GC the other but I just cannot figure out how to do it. It seems the GC may need 4 stops but when I try to select it my outward journey gets dumped off my selection.
It was all a bit easier 25 years ago when the grumpy guy behind the window had to look it up in a book !!!!
Oh and advanced tickets, how close to day of travel can I book ?

HST43257

Established Member
Class 91s run to York and Leeds a few times a day. They’re off in the next couple of years (i think)

Veteran Member
I was trying to book LNER 1 way and GC the other but I just cannot figure out how to do it. It seems the GC may need 4 stops but when I try to select it my outward journey gets dumped off my selection.
It was all a bit easier 25 years ago when the grumpy guy behind the window had to look it up in a book !!!!
You can't book on NRE, it will direct you to a ticket seller, and they (should) all sell the same.

Advance tickets can usually be purchased until the evening before - even later on some routes - but you won't get the best prices.

quattrohead

Split my fare is a usable site at least.
Can I do better than 86 quid for something like this -
Outbound
22 Feb, 2022
Bexhill to York
Depart 10:15
Arrive 14:32
4h 17min - 3 changes
Split Advance - Booked Train Only
Ticket Details
  • #1 - Bexhill to Peterborough - Advance Single - £25.80
  • #2 - Peterborough to York - Advance Single - £13.00
Return
23 Feb, 2022
York to Bexhill
Depart 17:32
Arrive 22:19
4h 47min - 3 changes
Split Advance - Booked Train Only
Ticket Details
  • #1 - York to Bexhill - Advance Single - £46.50

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
National Rail Enquiries doesn't sell tickets but it should offer the fastest journeys at the time you search for; it will redirect you to a train company site to buy the tickets.
You can force this with Trainsplit by using the 'advanced options' and selecting different options for outward & return, you can force any particular TOC e.g. Grand Central.

Trainsplit also has a seat selector which even works with GC.

You would normally be issued with e-tickets which are super easy to use (you can print them if you want, but you don't have to: you can show them on any device, whether that be a phone or tablet computer etc).
Depends on many factors; for a weekday with LNER (excluding late evening) it can be many weeks ahead. But for a weekend with some train companies it could be literally just a few days!
Split my fare is a usable site at least.
Just seen this; Splitmyfare is a branded version of Trainsplit. I've not checked if it offers a seat selector or not, but the fares it offers should be the same.

I will make sure to visit both York buildings, I plan for a whole day there and no one else with me, so if I want to geek out I will.
You may want to visit the York Tap (perhaps while awaiting your train back; very handy if the train departs from platform 3) and if you say when you are going there, maybe some forum members can say hello.
Don't forget the Rail Museum in York is in two distinct buildings, many people forget to visit the other half. Best of luck for your trip.

Also, you might consider a bus from York to Pickering to use the North Yorkshire Moors Railway.
If the NYMR are running to Whitby, one option for a good 'circular' day out could be a Class 68 hauled train to Scarborough, bus to Whitby (I think this is a double decker with good views), NYMR from Whitby to Pickering, bus from Pickering to Malton to pick up a train to York (or you can stay on the bus all the way to York).

Last edited:

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Most staff (Euston excluded) at the London termini are very accommodating towards enthusiasts, so I certainly don't think you'd be "arrested" for hanging around there... that only happens with people who hang around the stations and ask for money ;)

If you want to try an old train, I echo the suggestion of the 313, purely because not only is it based in a convenient location considering you're to be in Hastings (only about ten/twenty miles away), it is now the oldest operational rolling stock in the national rail network.

I hope you have a wonderful trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.