• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Planned journey affected by overtime ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

gpmartin

Hello all. I am travelling from Derby to Cambridge first thing on Monday morning. My planned intinerary is as follows:

Derby (d.06:02) to East Midlands Parkway (a.06:14) (East Midlands Railway)
East Midlands Parkway (d.06:20) to Ely (a.08:12) (East Midlands Railway)
Ely (d.08:28) to Cambridge (a.08:51) (Greater Anglia)

I have an advance ticket from East Midlands Parkway to Cambridge, route "Ap Xc Emr & Cons" according to the e-ticket. I haven't yet purchased my ticket from Derby to East Midlands Parkway - I usually do this on the day as there is nothing cheaper than an Anytime Single.

I received an e-mail today from the company I booked with advising that the Ely to Cambridge leg is cancelled (I presume due to the overtime ban). I looked at National Rail Enquiries to see what my options are, and it seems that the East Midlands Parkway to Ely leg is also cancelled (or certainly isn't showing in the journey planner). This is a bit more serious, as there are of course very few EMR trains direct from East Midlands Parkway to Ely (via Melton Mowbray). (Strangely, the e-mail advises that the ticket "is valid for the next available Greater Anglia service that’s departing from East Midlands Parkway", which obviously isn't especially helpful...)

I wonder what my options are here, and how best I should take this forward. I definitely need to travel, and I would obviously like to minimise my delay. So a few questions:
1. Should I contact EMR in advance, or would it be better just to ask for advice (e.g. at Derby, or from the guard on the Derby to East Midlands Parkway train) on the day?
2. Given the route restriction on the advance ticket (which includes XC though the main portion of the journey is on EMR), is it likely that I would be allowed to travel via Cross Country from Leicester to Ely (or Cambridge)?
3. If not, then might I be permitted to travel via London? I suspect that will be quicker than the very convoluted alternative of Derby - East Midlands Parkway - Nottingham - Ely (via Grantham).

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Llandudno

Established Member
0713 East Midlands Parkway to Nottingham
0741 Nottingham to Ely
0931 Ely to Cambridge arr. 0950

any good?

mangyiscute

Established Member
The East Midlands Parkway to Ely leg still seems to be showing on realtimetrains and also when i do a search for it on the emr journey planner, so I reckon it is running: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:G70106/2023-10-02/detailed
You could then presumably use your advance to connect onto the 08:53 cross country service from Ely to Cambridge (or perhaps the 08:16 great northern service if you make it), in regards to ticket acceptance I would think it would be fine but its hard to give 100% certainty, especially as the ticket says xc on it you would assume it would be fine on the xc service

gpmartin

Ah, thank you! It seems to be back on National Rail Enquiries too now, so fingers crossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.