• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Platform Stop Boards Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim the Jim

At our place it's where the nearest post to where the board needs to be, no additional posts are put in for a better position so stop boards get clumped together. There are Harrington platform humps that are positioned in front of the stop boards as well in places. It's really random. We have S boards that when you stop you have to lean forward to see the signal on the platform end.

If it was passenger focused then there are plenty of stations where the stop boards could be arranged so that the middle of the train marries up with the platform access, stairs etc. Just doesn not happen.
It's not good for passengers if most people board the train in the middle at most stations. That just means the middle carriages are likely to end up much busier than those at the ends. If at different stations on a route the train stops in different places relative to where the passengers are, then passengers are more likely to end up evenly distributed through the train.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D6130

Established Member
Originally the platform stop markers for trains of any length simply had a letter 'S' for 'Stop'.....then sometime in the 1990s (not sure whether it was just before or just after privatisation) a standard template started to appear with either 'x car stop', where x is the number of cars concerned, or 'S car stop', which literally means 'Stop car stop'. This is, of course, a total nonsense and often causes confusion with trainees who are new to the industry. it would be far better, IMHO, to have signs saying 'S' as before.....or something along the lines of 'AS', signifying 'All stop'.

Railsigns

Established Member
sometime in the 1990s (not sure whether it was just before or just after privatisation) a standard template started to appear with either 'x car stop', where x is the number of cars concerned, or 'S car stop'.
The standard car stop markers we see today were introduced in the 1960s.

td97

Established Member
On constrained platforms (i.e. where the usable doors only just fit in the platform), the stop board should be positioned at the driver position with the vehicle front 10m from the signal. There is then a ±4m tolerance for inaccurate stopping at a through platform or 5m for a terminal platform (defined in Railway Industry Standard 7016)

D6130

Established Member
The standard car stop markers we see today were introduced in the 1960s.
Agreed....but in my experience as a guard and then a driver, the 'S' sign was replaced by the 'S car stop' sign at a considerably later date. What I'm getting at - and I appreciate that some may think I am pedantic - is that 'S' means stop (i.e. all trains), but you can have a 4 car train, or an 8 car train, but not an S car train....therefore the modern version of the sign is largely meaningless. I wonder why they didn't just stick with the original 'S' sign?

Railsigns

Established Member
Agreed....but in my experience as a guard and then a driver, the 'S' sign was replaced by the 'S car stop' sign at a considerably later date.
There's a photo showing a standard "S car stop" marker at Mitcham in 1971, here.

Before the standard markers were introduced, LM Region stop markers had an "S", or a number, between the words "car" and "stop".

Last edited:

sw1ller

Established Member
I’ve been driving trains for years but I still don’t know if I’m meant to stop the front of the train level with the S or my cab window! Luckily it doesn’t matter most of the time and I just park it where it stops!!

norbitonflyer

Established Member
It's not good for passengers if most people board the train in the middle at most stations. That just means the middle carriages are likely to end up much busier than those at the ends.
This is why the arrangements on platform 2 at Kingston seem so wrong.
There is always a tendency for regular passengers for a particular station to favour the carriage which will stop nearest the exit from the platform at their destination to try and beat the rush through the barrier line there (watch how the rear carriages of Up trains empty out at Wimbledon for example) This is particularly so for Kingston, where the barrier line is quite inadequate for the rush-hour crowds (it is the busiest station on the Loop but the only one to have only one exit - SWT and SWR have resolutely refused to re-open the other one, for no obvious reason, but ton the great annoyance of their regular customers, most of whom live on that side of the line)
A ten car train stops with the ninth car nearest the stairs. 8-car trains now stop at the same board as ten car trains, so the rear of such trains is about one carriage-length beyond the exit from the platform. The exacerbates the overcrowding in the rear carriage, which is always the most crowded in any train leaving Waterloo because of the very short notice given of departures there*.
It also means that the rear of the train is next to the narrowest part of the platform, causing everyone to have to squeeze through the bottleneck before reaching the wider part - and of course there is a four foot drop off the platform behind the train which people can be crowded into. Also a hazard for visually impaired people waiting for the train, who may have an expectation that the train will stop opposite the entrance to the platform rather than go right past them and stop further along the platform, leaving them unknowingly facing not a train door but a four foot drop off the platform edge
Latecomers trying to catch the train cannot see it as they come up the stairs because the buildings are in the way, and stand no chance of catching it anyway in the face of hordes of people coming the other way through the aforementioned bottleneck.
And the dispatchers' office is also beyond the back of such trains, making their job harder as they can't see whether people have been able to board (and have a habit of giving the "right away" when prospective passengers are still "letting the passengers off first" - not acceptable on a 2 tph service)
And of course only four carriages are under the awning, instead of six.
I have not had a satisfactory explanation as to why the old "8 car stop" sign was removed. Apparently it was "to avoid confusing drivers". But they seem to be expected to manage on Platform 3 (where an *8 car stop" sign is still to be seen). And I don't recall any incidents of 10 car trains stopping short because the driver thought it was an 8 car.
The problem will become less when most trains are 701s, but there will may still be occasions when 450s appear.

(*there was a missed opportunity, when the platforms were extended as far as Westminster Bridge Road, to have a second entrance to the station at that end - which would probably have had support from MP's and DfT staff living in the South West as it would shorten their journeys to work!)_

tpjm

I’ve been driving trains for years but I still don’t know if I’m meant to stop the front of the train level with the S or my cab window! Luckily it doesn’t matter most of the time and I just park it where it stops!!
TPE Drivers are to stop with the board sighted through the side cab window, although we allow enough of a tolerance from them to stop the nose on it without issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.