• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Platform subsidence at Farnborough North

WesternBiker

I’m currently stuck on the 10:41 Reading train at North Camp station, the line to Reading being closed due to platform subsidence at Farnborough North. Apparently it has collapsed onto the track. The line is likely to be closed at least until 17:00.

I am guessing that the recent heavy rain may have something to do with it, although the platform has been in a pretty poor state for some time.

The following is on the GWR app:

“Due to an obstruction on the track at Farnborough North all lines are blocked. Train services running through this station will be cancelled or delayed by up to 30 minutes. Disruption is expected until 17:00 06/03. Apologies to customers, due to the platform at Farnborough North beginning to subside it is not currently safe to run trains.”

Update: I just stopped by Farnborough North station at 16:00: trains have just restarted between Reading and Guildford.

Apparently the problem was caused by works to create the foundations for the new footbridge, not subsidence. A digger (behind the platform on the left) caught the edge of the brick platform paving, pushing out of alignment and causing it to push out the coping stones beyond the edge of the platform. I got two different stories from two different workmen on site as to whether any of the edging stones had actually fallen on to the track.

They've effected a temporary repair (picture below). The reset edging stones can be identified by the new dark tarmac, which replaced a row of bricks. You can see the distortion to the paving in the distance.

IMG_6911.jpeg

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WesternBiker

Interesting. Thank you for going back to get the photo.
It shows how a small error can cause a lot of disruption when working on the edge of an operational railway - but I guess you're aware of the risks at Cambridge South. This picture of the work compound on the other side shows just how close it is to the edge of the platform.

IMG_6910.jpeg

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I wonder who decided to announce ‘subsidence’ publically when it must have been already obvious it was an own goal…

WesternBiker

I wonder who decided to announce ‘subsidence’ publically when it must have been already obvious it was an own goal…
I guess it depends on what information was being relayed to Control by those on the ground. I felt very sorry for the train crew - they were getting very little information to relay to the passengers until they were told to turn back to Guildford at 12:19. Many passengers simply shared taxis to Reading.

mr_moo

It shows how a small error can cause a lot of disruption when working on the edge of a operational railway - but I guess you're aware of the risks at Cambridge South. This picture of the work compound on the other side shows just how close it is to the edge of the platform.

View attachment 153771
Very much so! Indeed, part of what I love about my job is how all the different parts of design and construction need to come together and small things in one place can upset things in other places.

That fence is indeed enlightening. Seems to be placed bang on the 2.5m minimum platform width mark no surprise!