• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Platform tickets and FGW

Status
Not open for further replies.

ian13

I got some clarification on station access from First GW, and thought I would share it.

Until the mid 1980s, British Rail had barriers on the platform where all tickets were manually checked. People needed a platform ticket to get through these checks, if they were seeing someone off or meeting a train. So when British Rail went over to the current system of 'open stations', the public could come and go as they pleased - and the need for platform tickets disappeared.

Some ticket offices did still issue platform tickets if they were asked, although they weren't legally required or even part of our ticket range. Collectors often bought them and we were getting more and more requests to post them out. This caused a lot of extra work for booking offices, when really their priority has to be the customers who need to make travel arrangements. So now we don't issue platform tickets at all.

Instead, our colleagues assess each non-traveller's reasons for being on the platform individually. They are trained to consider safety, security, the reason someone gives for wanting access, and so on. They use their professional judgement to make reasoned decisions.

Therefore, [regarding enthusiast access] I would suggest that upon arrival at one of our stations, you ask to speak to the Duty Station Manager for their authorization.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

glynn80

Established Member
Unfortunately what they fail to mention is the fact that now although regular manned barriers are practically a thing of the past, automatic barriers are prominent at the main FGW stations including Reading, Bristol Temple Meads, Bristol Parkway, London Paddington, Swindon, Plymouth and Exeter St Davids.

Platform tickets are now thus a useful way for non-travelling members of the public to access the station and get through the barriers.

metrocammel

Unfortunately what they fail to mention is the fact that now although regular manned barriers are practically a thing of the past, automatic barriers are prominent at the main FGW stations including Reading, Bristol Temple Meads, Bristol Parkway, London Paddington, Swindon, Plymouth and Exeter St Davids.

Platform tickets are now thus a useful way for non-travelling members of the public to access the station and get through the barriers.

But as you've mentioned before, due to the lack of a personal presence, it is relatively easy to use them as a fare dodging tool. There is more chance of a person on a barrier questioning the platform ticket or if his suspicion is aroused, (s)he can check where the person using it is going, whereas a machine isn't really capable of doing that. The letter does, however, seem to be a fobbing off, and also doesn't explain why platform tickets are available on their issuing system, if they aren't needed/ allowed to be sold!

Of note, they were definitely in the NFM until the late 90s!

ian13

But as you've mentioned before, due to the lack of a personal presence, it is relatively easy to use them as a fare dodging tool.

Well, you can't pre-buy a platform ticket for another station, so you can't get out of the barriers at your destination using them. You can however pre-buy a 1-stop ticket to your destination if you wish to fare evade.

devon_metro

Established Member

Bath Spa and Cardiff Central also feature ticket barriers.

curly42

The letter also fails to mention the fact that FGW got rid of all the Duty Station Managers almost two years ago.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Bath Spa and Cardiff Central also feature ticket barriers.

Cardiff is an Arriva station....

I was told recently that our booking office had started selling platform tickets again but I've yet to see one so don't hold me to that

metrocammel

Cardiff is an Arriva station....

I was told recently that our booking office had started selling platform tickets again but I've yet to see one so don't hold me to that

Arriva stations tend to be very good for platform tickets, I've managed to get them from most of the stations west of Cardiff, except Bridgend, who said they weren't allowed to sell them. I also had no trouble getting one from the 'travel centre' bit at Newport. - this was May 2008.

Status
Not open for further replies.