• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Platform Zero at Leeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

matacaster

On Moderation
I hear you and agree and to an extent also get angry about the "complexity inflation" that leads to cost multiples in all our large infrastructure projects. But the problem that is always overlooked is that this is not created by privatisation and therefore won't be solved by nationalisation. The problem is the "Regulation Industry" - an entirely public sector set of Government Agencies whose own existence depends on producing regulation - and to ensure they do they are also monitored by the National Audit Office stood behind them. I have had several years of dealing with OFGEM and OFCOM and exactly the same applies to the ORR and the myriad of departments responsible for different aspects and layers of safety. I'n not arguing against safety, of course not, but the Government's Regulation Layer exists as much to protect politicians as it does to assure safety, and it will not go away. I can tell you that the (private sector) Civil Engineers and Project Managers are as sick to death of the constant need to back up a plan by months and start again because of some new regulation that some bright spark in some department has thought to bring in - and in many cases the Regulators themselves when rarely called to account, come up with some lame excuse about "aligning with EU directives " or some such drivel because they forgot to ask for a derogation despite repeated prodding from NR. Perhaps I am as angry as you after all :)

Happy to agree with all of the above

Safety Industry
Of course in the safety industry, it is necessary to ensure that everyone's back is completely covered and the way to do it is to design an over-zealous safety regime which causes costs to balloon to such an extent the project gets cancelled (or never started) - hence no risk incurred! If you work in 'safety', then you take not even the smallest risk whatsoever as there is no personal gain from doing so and if by any unbelievably small mischance something does go wrong, you will likely get sacked. Its also incumbent on you to create ever-increasing amounts of paperwork and checking, such as inordinately detailed safety cases, as the volume of such stuff likely determines your chances of promotion. Actually enabling something to actually be implemented in a cost-effective and timely manner with appropriate levels of safety is not in the remit of the safety industry (particularly rail safety).

I should add that a nod towards relative safety might be worth considering. eg, safety case says the railway needs to fence in hundreds of miles of track (at huge cost) to stop some idiots straying onto the track, but the same idiots can just walk off the roadside into the path of a car whilst texting on their iphone - yet this is either not deemed unsafe as safety case isn't bothered that there are no barriers or its just not worth it? This means that rail costs are disproportionately high, fares higher to cover costs, so people go by car or bus (how many buses are disability compliant? and yet trains take all the stick).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Belperpete

Established Member
It looks like it will take circa 3 years from start to introduce one new platform in a place which needed no additional substations etc as far as I know, is virtually flat and used to have platforms which were already owned by NR. So the work required was to build a platform (mainly away from running rails in service) install a couple of points, add 200m of overhead wiring and adjust signalling. One can't even begin to guess at the costs involved for this tiny enhancement. This is surely the most abject failure to control costs and timescales ever. God help us if HS2 ever materialises if the costs and timescales are in any way proportional. £100bn will just about sort out Euston on that basis. There surely needs to be a serious look at the costs and timescales of every aspect of this project.
Unfortunately you appear to have totally misunderstood the scope of the project. The addition of platform 0 is the "headline" part of the project, but it is actually a much larger project than just that. If it were just "bolting on" an extra platform by the side of the existing platform 1, then no doubt once it had been commissioned people would be complaining what a waste of money it was. As has already been explained by others, the access to platforms 1 and 2 is currently very restrictive. Just bolting platform 0 onto them would mean we would then have 3 platforms with very restricted access. The project involves a substantial remodelling of the platform 1-5 throat to allow parallel arrivals and departures. From the signalling point of view, the changes were so significant that it was debatable whether it would be best to amend the existing data for the relevant interlockings, or just start again from scratch.

Such a substantial remodelling can be done in one of two ways. 1) by small piece-meal changes. As the new pointwork can only be installed after the existing has been taken out, this means a significant loss of layout capacity and extensive disruption to services while the work is carried out, or 2) by longer possessions, allowing more work to be done in one go. I understand that the project has gone for the longer possessions, to minimise the disruption. However, there are only a limited number of Easters and Christmases each year, in which to accommodate these longer possessions. Of course, back in the good old days, I seem to recall BR shut Westbury for 3 months to remodel it - perhaps you would prefer NR to go back to this kind of working, as it was certainly much cheaper. I am sure that shutting Leeds for a month or two to keep the costs down would go down well.

Belperpete

Established Member
Phase 2 [The relocking of 8No. existing signalling interlockings to provide additional signalling capacity]- I am still struggling to understand, quantitatively, what improvements this work brings. eg How much additional signalling capacity? .... indeed what does this actually mean in terms of train movements / reduced delays etc? (or is it more like it gives more options and that must be good? - ie it falls into the same category of we should train drivers on diversionary routes [which I do actually approve of] but in practice we use buses because its cheaper)
A "relock" is when control is transferred from one interlocking to another. As opposed to a "recontrol", when control is transferred from one signalbox/control-centre to another.

In the case of Leeds, the SSI interlockings that Leeds Station was resignalled with were very nearly at full capacity. In particular, there was insufficient spare capacity in the relevant interlockings to add the extra points and signals required for the additional platform. The first stage of the signalling work was therefore a "relock": transferring control from the 8 old SSIs to a new-generation Smartlock interlocking that has substantial extra capacity. This will allow the interlocking that controlled the old A-C lines throat to be split into two separate interlockings within the Smartlock. Similar relocks were carried out at Paddington and Liverpool Street, for the CrossRail enabling works.

Phase 3 - Track remodelling / greater operational flexibility- Overall, how many additional train movements (if that's how we define capacity) are we getting for our bucks?
The report you are querying states Track remodelling to the West end of the station to provide greater operational flexibility. Associated resignalling The greater flexibility comes through the layout changes that will allow more parallel arrivals and departures, hopefully meaning less waiting for a road in or out of the station. How many extra train movements will result from the extra platform and greater flexibility of operation I am afraid I don't know.

superkev

Established Member
Bit of action today with the glacial progress with platform zero albeit with the car park.
Note the marooned car.
Kleeds platform zero feb1st20.jpg

Last edited:

Monkeyhead

I *know* it must be more complicated than this, but you can see the old platform face. Take the fence down. Dig the car park out. Lay some track along the side of said platform face. Put a new fence up. Connect it up when there's a blockade. It just seems like sooooo long.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I *know* it must be more complicated than this, but you can see the old platform face. Take the fence down. Dig the car park out. Lay some track along the side of said platform face. Put a new fence up. Connect it up when there's a blockade. It just seems like sooooo long.

yeah - i think it might be a touch harder than that - as has been set out above!

Status
Not open for further replies.