• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Platform zones in the Thameslink core.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Just noticed new stickers on the floor to signify where the doors are in the core (well, not Blackfriars yet) but also noticed they use letters. St Pancras still has the numbered zone signs on the wall.

What I also noticed is there's no mention of the zones anywhere anyway, and possibly for the first time ever the screens didn't even show the length of the train I boarded.

Hope this is just a side effect of planning for next week!

IMG_20180514_103754.jpg IMG_20180514_103758.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JaJaWa

Established Member

The middle section should really have a couple of outwards arrows to show not to wait there.

Attachments

• F4180ECD-3044-4251-936C-21ECEE66422B.jpeg
    F4180ECD-3044-4251-936C-21ECEE66422B.jpeg
    69.2 KB · Views: 202

AM9

Veteran Member
For somebody that grew up in Hong Kong (me!), I am still surprised why this country hasn't adapt the queuing arrows at busy stations!
I couldn't agree more. Several countries with that I've visited are much more advanced in their co-operative behaviour in busy transport systems, - yet many here believe that the UK is looked at as the home of polite queues!

mmh

Established Member
Just noticed new stickers on the floor to signify where the doors are in the core (well, not Blackfriars yet) but also noticed they use letters. St Pancras still has the numbered zone signs on the wall.

What I also noticed is there's no mention of the zones anywhere anyway, and possibly for the first time ever the screens didn't even show the length of the train I boarded.

Hope this is just a side effect of planning for next week!

"Train will stop in platform zones A to D" rather than "This train is formed of 8 coaches"? Makes sense I think, the length in coaches is unhelpful to anyone except regular users who've been observant enough to work it out.

Hopefully the numbered zone signs will go - having signs that say "Zone 3" in a system which uses numbered zones for fares isn't ideal!

mmh

Established Member
Bit advanced for the UK! :lol:

The middle section should really have a couple of outwards arrows to show not to wait there.

But the meaning of yellow hatched boxes is commonly understood from box junctions, "don't enter unless you can leave it" - directional arrows don't portray the same, the middle of the area isn't for exiting the train only. I think they're more confusing.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
For somebody that grew up in Hong Kong (me!), I am still surprised why this country hasn't adapt the queuing arrows at busy stations!
Many busy stations have such a variety of stock, train lengths and door positions that it would never work. Thameslink is bringing in a few things that can only happen in the core area where standardised trains are in use, I wouldn't expect these markings to spread very far.

JaJaWa

Established Member
But the meaning of yellow hatched boxes is commonly understood from box junctions, "don't enter unless you can leave it" - directional arrows don't portray the same, the middle of the area isn't for exiting the train only. I think they're more confusing.
In Asia, people queue at the two sides, leaving the middle completely free for exiting passengers.
"Train will stop in platform zones A to D" rather than "This train is formed of 8 coaches"? Makes sense I think, the length in coaches is unhelpful to anyone except regular users who've been observant enough to work it out.

Hopefully the numbered zone signs will go - having signs that say "Zone 3" in a system which uses numbered zones for fares isn't ideal!
That was the original system when St Pancras Thameslink opened, although I don’t remember the exact phrasing – didn’t last very long at all.

urbophile

Established Member
It's taken several years, and the installation of fences, for Merseyrail passengers at Liverpool Central to get the hang of yellow boxes. Like standing on the right of escalators. But we're getting there.

Bookd

There would also be benefit in marking coach positions at terminal stations.
If going from Waterloo to Feltham I am told to join the front seven coaches of this 10 coach train ( I know this, and actually coach 6 is nearer the exit) but this involves counting back from the buffer stop - it is slightly different if it is an 8 coach.
A platform indicator to show which coach you are boarding would be useful.

TFN

I think lettered zones would be a problem in St Pancras International where the Thameslink platforms are lettered A & B instead of numbered

thewaistcoat

They pee me off on exit - doors open 2 x people get ready to walk out - nice wide doors... have to squeeze through the now sanctioned 1x gap (if you're lucky).

Status
Not open for further replies.