• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Please help us @ the S&DRHT

Status
Not open for further replies.

KODIAK BEAR

would you be kind and sign up to the 10 Downing street petition to release goverment funds to help rebuild this once important railway that was more photographed than any other in GB please.

all it takes is to sign up with your name and email. So far 144 people (as i type this) have signed up. We need at least 250 for the goverment to take notice.

a BIG thank you for those that do ;)

click link or copy and paste please

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/somersetdorset/

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kris

The Somerset and Dorset Railway was, and will be again after Peak Oil, a vital sustainable transport link across Wessex. The government should release funds and simplify the planning and construction process to allow local people to build, own and operate the line in preparation for when our oil runs out.

That really needs adding to. Point out the congested and ever worsening roads and the way that the populations have increased along the route.

Broadstone, Wimborne, Blandford, Shaftsbury etc. A good train service would take so many cars off the roads.

Can't see the government doing it though - more interested in wasting our money.

KODIAK BEAR

well kris,
your the only one from here to put your name on this. 28+ people have looked at this thread and not bothered. :angry8:

thank you kris

WessexWarrior

Put my name down on this much earlier. It's interesting (and great) to know that preservationists are putting forward the idea of re-opening disused lines in order to both get traffic off the roads and prepare for the inevitable end of the Oil Age.

KODIAK BEAR

Put my name down on this much earlier. It's interesting (and great) to know that preservationists are putting forward the idea of re-opening disused lines in order to both get traffic off the roads and prepare for the inevitable end of the Oil Age.

Well done warrior.

Interesting thing that, when oil runs out. I wonder if man will invent solar panelled trains ?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Please stop having a go at people who have not signed (also you can't always be sure which ones signed are from this forum or not).

Why 250? I don't think the government will take any more notice if it's 250 rather than 150. Even if 1,000,000 signed up they'd only do it if the cost benefit anlysis supported it and funds were available.

In principle I'll support any re-opening subject to it being feasible, but there's loads of railways that should be rebuilt and if we signed a petition for each of them we'd be here forever.

You're also not giving people much information on which to base an opinion, but I found websites like this: http://www.sdrt.org.uk/ A quick search found plenty of sites looking back, but nothing looking forward and no mention of reopening - Has there been a Cost benefit analysis? Is it feasible?

I'd suggest local people contact their MP about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.