• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Please join the train now..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
"... as it is ready to leave."

Why does the overhead tannoy sometimes say this and not every time? What triggers it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aictos

Established Member
It's optional that's why, its like the Class 700 that I was on earlier played Please stand clear of the doors, this train is about to depart.

It simply means that someone has manually selected the announcement to play.

The_Train

Established Member
At Stafford, I've only ever noticed this announcement when a train has had a lengthier layover. Used to be used regularly for the Trent Valley LNWR services that stood at Stafford for 5+ mins to allow an Avanti service through on the fasts. I always assumed it was used for this as it's more likely someone might step off the train for a bit of fresh air or whatever

TVLUser

Up and Down the Tyne Valley Line (usually)
From experience, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to always play on what is the last announcement for trains leaving main termini (e.g. Kings Cross, although Euston and Paddington are the same I think), about 2-3mins before departure.

StephenHunter

Established Member
From experience, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to always play on what is the last announcement for trains leaving main termini (e.g. Kings Cross, although Euston and Paddington are the same I think), about 2-3mins before departure.

Often having people see family members off, I guess.

LMS 4F

Often having people see family members off, I guess.
Perhaps needed more thank you might think. One of my relatives dropping family off at Bedford very early one morning got onto the train to say a last goodbye, they were going on a long haul holiday, and the train left. Next stop Flitwick where she got off, not helped because she was in nightwear and dressing gown.
A subject off much hilarity to the rest of the family at the time and often since.

cle

Established Member
I remember at Victoria in the 80s or so, they would have automated “hurry along there please on platform x, this train is ready to depart!”

Weekender

I’ve noticed this more recently at Gloucester. Usually for platform one which is a few minutes walk from the concourse, they often play it about 5 minutes before the departure time.

Parallel

Established Member
This is also played occasionally at some Transport for Wales stations, namely Cardiff Central, Newport, Hereford and Shrewsbury.

I think it’s automatically set up at Paddington, and plays three minutes before departure for GWR services.

A similar message used to occasionally be played at SWT/SWR before they did away with the Ditra system, but used to say ‘Stand away from the train at Platform X, this train is ready to leave’

Essexman

Established Member
It's routinely played at Paddington 3 minutes before departure. Given that they also say doors will be locked early it doesn't actually give much time for people to get to the train if they're not already on the platform.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It's routinely played at Paddington 3 minutes before departure. Given that they also say doors will be locked early it doesn't actually give much time for people to get to the train if they're not already on the platform.

It's a bit like the old "please board the train and close the doors, this train is now ready to depart" that tended to be done manually on BR at a load of stations. Or the DB "An Gleis N bitte einsteigen, Tueren schliessen selbsttaetig, Vorsicht bei der Abfahrt"[1] one that you classically heard the whistle and doors slam over the top of. That is, it's intended to mean "get on now if you're actually stood next to it chatting with someone who is not travelling", not "have a wee, get a coffee and wander over at your leisure".

[1] "On platform N please board, doors close automatically, take care on departure" - I am actually old enough to have heard the old "...und Tueren schliessen" (and close the doors) version - some very old compartment coaches without UIC door closers were used on Bremen-Uelzen in the 1990s :)

Taunton

Established Member
Oh for the days when the platform inspector just blew their whistle ...

jha4ceb

At Victoria for a while these were playing automatically 1-2 minutes before departure time - including for some late-running trains that were only just arriving in the station at the time of the announcement.

I think it's become a bit less common in the last few weeks, unless it's just started blending into the background noise.

Taunton

Established Member
Not just any whistle, either - it's the Acme Thunderer!
I don't know what the Thunderer was at Taunton in those old times, but from mid-platform you could hear it at both ends of a full length train, and indeed even over the chanting Maybachs of the Western on the front.

Which is more than could be said for the PA system of the era.

DelW

Established Member
A similar message used to occasionally be played at SWT/SWR before they did away with the Ditra system, but used to say ‘Stand away from the train at Platform X, this train is ready to leave’
That used to be particularly annoying at Guildford, where at times it was played before the relevant train had even had the doors released. It seemed to be especially bad with GWR trains on North Downs services, once I heard it before the Turbo's driving cab was even onto the platform.

Established Member
I hear this regularly at SE London terminals, played automatically after the second announcement of the service, around five minutes before departure.

Guards at my TOC often make the opposite (arguably more important) on board announcement: “would anyone not intending to travel on this service please leave the train now”.

They still do in East Anglia.

There's a requirement for guards to use their whistle at the starting station unless there is a dispatcher to do it. Does seem a bit over the top at places such as Harwich Town late at night when there isn't a soul around and all it will do is wake people in the surrounding houses. At stations mid route it's up to them to use their judgement.

Trackman

Established Member
Oh for the days when the platform inspector just blew their whistle ...
And in an aggressive manner at Euston a long time ago, short blasts to make you run faster and someone shouting to get on the train!
A guy ran after me his whistle blasting, no 'Hurry up, please!'- it was 'Hey you- Get on!'

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
And in an aggressive manner at Euston a long time ago, short blasts to make you run faster and someone shouting to get on the train!
A guy ran after me his whistle blasting, no 'Hurry up, please!'- it was 'Hey you- Get on!'

Clapham Jn works like that, which to me devalues the whistle. It should be blown once only (or twice if platform dispatchers need to do so), with the meaning of "stand away". Staff wandering around blowing it to hurry people on devalue it and waste time - it would work better to go around giving specific instructions to people e.g. "Can you use that door there please?"

Established Member

When I drove DOO trains my mission in life (and that of many of my colleagues) was to leave people who dawdled along the side of the train behind...

Standard procedure was as follows: you’d watch them in the DOO monitors, as they ambled past several sets of open doors, and approached a closed set.

You’d then hit ”door close”, just as they reached for the button (preventing that set of doors from opening).

They’d run back towards the last open set of doors (they’d already walked past) which, if you’d timed it perfectly, would snap shut just as they reached them.

You’d wait for them to stop woodpeckering, take power in notch one, and gradually creep out of the station....

If it was the last train, so much the better, and about the most fun I’ve ever had with my trousers on.

If Carlsberg made job satisfaction :lol:.

al78

Established Member
When I drove DOO trains my mission in life (and that of many of my colleagues) was to leave people who dawdled along the side of the train behind...

Standard procedure was as follows: you’d watch them in the DOO monitors, as they ambled past several sets of open doors, and approached a closed set.

You’d then hit ”door close”, just as they reached for the button (preventing that set of doors from opening).

They’d run back towards the last open set of doors (they’d already walked past) which, if you’d timed it perfectly, would snap shut just as they reached them.

You’d wait for them to stop woodpeckering, take power in notch one, and gradually creep out of the station....

If it was the last train, so much the better, and about the most fun I’ve ever had with my trousers on.

If Carlsberg made job satisfaction :lol:.

Dithering about seems to be a common issue in the south east, and not restricted to boarding trains.

ALEMASTER

The automated station announcer uses that on some services at Sheffield, I'm assuming it is just for Northern services starting from Sheffield and triggered by the conductor pressing the ready to start signal button. (I may be wrong though). Northern self despatch whilst other operators at Sheffield use EMR platform despatch staff.

LowLevel

Established Member
Back when I used to muck about with PIS systems you pressed a function key and selected it to add that to the announcement - it was a manual selection.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
It's an option to play using the CIS or PIS systems. It based on departure time (-2/3 mins), but there may be a slight lag if it conflicts with another ongoing announcements. Some stations have it enabled, some do not. I guess that comes down to local / TOC preference. It would probably make more sense for long-distance services rather than stations for primarily commuter services, but it might be better at many terminals for consistency's sake.

It also usually doesn't play if the train is already delayed by some amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.