• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pleasure Seekers, Merry Makers and Scenic Circular Rail Rides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jim Jehosofat

There was also an unusual Newbury to Margate trip which involved a very lengthy rake of DMU's, not sure why Mk1 stock wasn't available but we certainly had a bum numbing, ear drum shattering day out with the units working flat out along the north Kent coast. Has anyone ever come across a picture of this one as WR units must have been like rocking horse sh*t in Kent apart from the odd Redhill to Tonbridge service when the old tadpoles finally gave up the ghost.
When I was a kid we lived in a house that backed on to the Bexleyheath line between Kidbrooke and Eltham Well Hall and I can clearly remember two trains as described above on consecutive Sundays.Always wondered where they came from and where they were going to, not to mention how they found train crews that signed the units and the routes. I'm sure each train was three or four three car units.

nicolaboo

These are unclear, as I was really taking a picture of the very nice front of Largs station in 1984. But either side of the entrance are posters for excursions.posters Largs.jpg

frodshamfella

Established Member
When I was a kid we lived in a house that backed on to the Bexleyheath line between Kidbrooke and Eltham Well Hall and I can clearly remember two trains as described above on consecutive Sundays.Always wondered where they came from and where they were going to, not to mention how they found train crews that signed the units and the routes. I'm sure each train was three or four three car units.

I used to use the Bexleyheah line ( from Bexleyheath ) a great deal. I remember how neat Eltham Well Hall Station was....also Eltham Park with its canopies over both platforms. There was a siding just before the train took the curve towards Kidbrook I recall.

How awful was the new Eltham Station in comparison to the old ones.

Al Davies

Newcastle to Inverness Merrymaker: Mass disappointment at the provision of a Thornaby no-heat 47. However our complaints about the lack of heat did the trick, and at Waverley on the way back it was replaced with a 40.

I was on that from Morpeth. I would love to know what worked it and where from/to? Thanks in advance.

xotGD

Established Member
I was on that from Morpeth. I would love to know what worked it and where from/to? Thanks in advance.
47289 worked Newcastle to Inverness then back to Edinburgh. 40068 then took over.

Date was 12 June 1982.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
On the 20th March 1976, I did an excursion from the new, relocated Bradford Exchange station (not renamed Bradford Interchange until 1983) to Edinburgh Waverley. I then hopped on a DMU over the Forth Bridge to see Dunfermline Athletic lose 2-1 at home to Hamilton Academical. It was a bit of a rush to Dunfermline station after the match. And then a waitress in an Edinburgh cafe almost had me in apoplexy by her slowness in presenting & settling the bill. She wouldn't have realized my ticket was not valid on later, normal services.

Status
Not open for further replies.