• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Plugs, electronic devices and trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Amazingly in the last month I've had two punters come up asking about power to charge their phones, but not actually having a charger on them.
So let me get this straight, you're asking about charging your phone, yes, but you don't have a charger, yes.....right.

:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:<(:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

Haha. To be fair, a lot of places do now have charging stations with a range of cables. Westfield has them, and you get 30 minutes for free (I think) and can of course go back and use another box if you need to. Perhaps some trains could have these instead, although lost property better prepare some more storage space. ;)

And that's another thing. We hear people saying they want power sockets over carrying a portable battery charger, but many phones don't support fast charging yet. For some trips, you won't fully charge your phone before having to unplug and alight. You may come away having gained a few per cent at most.

With my battery pack, I do have fast charging (0-100% in 90 minutes) but I'm charging while I walk along the platform, up the stairs and along the road. Grabbing a few minutes here and there on a train isn't really convenient for me, and I also try and avoid carrying mains chargers as they're often bulky.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kevjs

Haha. To be fair, a lot of places do now have charging stations with a range of cables. Westfield has them, and you get 30 minutes for free (I think) and can of course go back and use another box if you need to. Perhaps some trains could have these instead, although lost property better prepare some more storage space. ;)
We have the same in our local shopping centres too. Carrying a short lead (Which can fit inside a keyring) is certainly more convenient than a full on charger, especially as quite a number of bars round here have USB charging too.

Emblematic

Interesting that people mention that the TOCs or ROSCOs and those in the industry should make sure that new trains have plugs yet forgetting the original point was the class 700s having no plugs which weren't ordered by a TOC, ROSCO or the industry but a government department. The TOC/ROSCOG
/industry orders all have plugs IIRC.

You are absolutely right, unfortunately if folk on here don't get it right then there's no chance the general public will make the distinction; it will become just another thing to whinge to GTR about when they fancy having a moan.

coppercapped

Established Member
You are absolutely right, unfortunately if folk on here don't get it right then there's no chance the general public will make the distinction; it will become just another thing to whinge to GTR about when they fancy having a moan.

You mean people on here have already forgotten the National Audit Office's report Procuring New Trains (HC 531 Session 2014-15 9 July 2014)?

It has always been clear that the Class 700 was specified by, and a train service provision contract placed by, the DfT.

Status
Not open for further replies.