• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Plus Bus - Best & Worse Value

Status
Not open for further replies.

First class

Established Member
He was - my views differed.

I take it no-one's reading my posts or the Mersyrail leaflet - the plusbus area is the same as the more expensive £4.70 Saveaway ticket and has no off-peak.

Obviously if you don't need these features then get the (still more expensive) Saveaway...

the saveaway is £3.50, an extra 30p with rail travel in the area thrown in. The Plusbus excludes some bus services and operators. You are quoting the All Area saveaway, not the Area C (Liverpool) one.

ACE Travel buses are not included in the Plusbus, but are included in the Saveaway, so be careful if travelling to the footy, as they run a lot of the "football express" buses from/to City Centre.

Also not included in Plusbus is the City-Centre to LFC taxi service which you can use a Saveaway in!! Very, very good.

Route 500 is also excluded from Plusbus, but not from Saveaway.

For an extra 30p, you've got more operators plus rail travel. Well worth it. If travelling between 06:31am and 09:29am Monday-Friday, the Saveaway can't be used though.

(Can you tell I go to the match much?!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WestCoast

Established Member
Sheffield is a steal for £2.35 with a railcard as it includes the Supertram as well as all the buses over a large area.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
He was - my views differed.

I take it no-one's reading my posts or the Mersyrail leaflet - the plusbus area is the same as the more expensive £4.70 Saveaway ticket and has no off-peak.

Obviously if you don't need these features then get the (still more expensive) Saveaway...

I get your point. As a TOCNE card holder/free travel via a box on TPE. I might be better with Plusbus. Will be a close call. Was thinking about getting the ferry but my friend, a native of L'pool, states "why would anyone go to Birkenhead?"

Deerfold

Veteran Member
the saveaway is £3.50, an extra 30p with rail travel in the area thrown in. The Plusbus excludes some bus services and operators. You are quoting the All Area saveaway, not the Area C (Liverpool) one.

ACE Travel buses are not included in the Plusbus, but are included in the Saveaway, so be careful if travelling to the footy, as they run a lot of the "football express" buses from/to City Centre.

Hmm, I could have sworn the Liverpool plusbus area was bigger.

So swings and roundabouts - if you're travelling at peak get a plusbus, if going to the match or getting lots of trains, get a savaway.

extendedpaul

Which is surprising since they are in North East Kent !

[ South East Kent would be Ashford / Folkestone / Dungeness ]

Yes and no.

I should perhaps have said East Kent (also the name of the bus company there before Stagecoach) but the Thanet area is definitely not North East Kent. That's more from Whitstable up towards Maidstone and Medway.

RJ

Established Member
That probably says more about the poor value of Kinch fares than good value of the Plusbus though. For a town of it's size Loughborugh has a very poor and overpriced bus service.

Hmm, to someone like me who comes from London where a cash fare is at a flat rate of £2.30, it doesn't seem so bad. The Town Ten is quite good value at £1.10 per journey.

Not very happy though as a couple of days ago, I was using a Plusbus ticket in my local area and the driver tried to say that it was only valid to and from the station and not around town as I was doing. Complaint fired off to customer services as I don't want to experience such a mistake again!

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Hmm, to someone like me who comes from London where a cash fare is at a flat rate of £2.30, it doesn't seem so bad. The Town Ten is quite good value at £1.10 per journey.

A very easy to avoid cash fare though - hardly anyone needs to pay more than £1.35 on Oyster - and it (potentially) gets you a lot further than the Loughborough town fare.

Not very happy though as a couple of days ago, I was using a Plusbus ticket in my local area and the driver tried to say that it was only valid to and from the station and not around town as I was doing. Complaint fired off to customer services as I don't want to experience such a mistake again!

I used to use Hitchin PlusBus as an add on to my season ticket. I only used it for a year - I had so much hassle it wasn't worth it. One particularly annoying driver argued about it every time I used it - and he seemed to be the regular driver on my only direct morning bus to the station. Even though I carried the leaflet and showed it him (and he grudgingly accepted it) he'd still argue the next time I used it. Obviously other passengers weren't keen on me as there'd be a two minute argument before the bus set off (almost)every time I used it

Had the same problem when I had a student Arriva pass which I was entitled to briefly - was told all sorts including it was only valid to and from college (which would have been a dreadful restriction for a ticket which was only about 25% cheaper than the full adult pass).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.