• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

PlusBus from suburban stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Ellesmere Port has at long, long last joined the PlusBus scheme but the add-on tickets are only available from Ellesmere Port and Overpool stations and not from Little Sutton.

This seems rather illogical as Little Sutton station is well within the area covered for bus travel - and rail fares to & from that station are identical to those from Ellesmere Port to nearly all destinations.

So in reality a passenger for Little Sutton could book a ticket to Ellesmere Port and get off early and catch a bus without breaking any of the conditions of carriage.

I haven't checked whether the add-ons can be bought from the ticket machines at Ellesmere Port (when the ticket office is closed) or Overpool (which is unstaffed).

Do other towns have similar restrictions against travel to non-central stations?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Do other towns have similar restrictions against travel to non-central stations?
A better question might be "do other towns not have similar restrictions?"

There will inevitably be some smaller or other locations that do have them, but in my experience I don't think I've come across any: certainly none of the PTEs offer this (after the West Midlands ones were withdrawn last year), nor does Bristol. Even Ashford, which includes Wye station does not have one available. It tends to only be the major stations, like West Midlands has Solihull, Birmingham Stns, and a few more; Liverpool has Central, James Street, Lime Street, Moorfields and South Parkway.

Edit: found one! Brentwood and Shenfield are both available on the Brentwood & Shenfield scheme.

Last edited:

Andrew99

PlusBus tickets covering the Halton area are available from all four stations in the borough - i.e. Runcorn, Runcorn East, Widnes and Hough Green.

TUC

Established Member
It would more sense for Plusbus tickets to be generally valid from a group of stations within a locality.

Status
Not open for further replies.