• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Plusbus validity and stations in a town

Halsebee

Plusbus tickets for a specific town are obviously valid with rail tickets to the main station in that town, but how does one find out validity of plusbus tickets with train tickets to smaller stations in a town? So for example for Plymouth would plusbu be valid for a ticket from or to Dockyard, for Exeter for a ticket to Newcourt, or in Worthing for a ticket to Durrington or Goring by Sea.
What are the rules, and is this info specified somewhere?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ken_Ilworth

FAQ 19 on that site states "..You can only buy a PlusBus ticket for a location that is named as either the origin and / or the destination on your train ticket. So, in order to buy a Birmingham PlusBus ticket, you have to have Birmingham named on your train ticket (as either an origin and / or the destination station)."

However, I have found 'shopping around' ticket offices will almost always eventually result in a PlusBus ticket being sold as long as the origin/destination is within the PlusBus zone. For example, I often buy a rail ticket to Reigate, which is in the Redhill PlusBus zone.

So, in order to buy a Birmingham PlusBus ticket, you have to have Birmingham named on your train ticket (as either an origin and / or the destination station)
... with the effect that you can only buy your rail part of the journey to/from a station with a PlusBus fare. It seems - I asked - that this is intentional, there are some stations in an area where they might not want PlusBus to be offered. I think "they" in this case means the bus operators