• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Point Pleasant Junction

Status
Not open for further replies.

julianhmltn

Does anyone else who lives between Point Pleasant Junction and East Putney suffer from Southwest Trains running empty trains to the Wimbledon depo at all hours of the night ?????

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Does anyone else who lives between Point Pleasant Junction and East Putney suffer from Southwest Trains running empty trains to the Wimbledon depo at all hours of the night ?????

I see you posted this faintly ridiculous question in "skyscraper city" as well. SWT don't actually run trains at "all hours of the night", the majority run during normal operating hours. Some of the trains (although only a few) are actually in passenger service. There appears to a four hour gap overnight.

Here's the timings for a few days hence over the 24 hour period (the link will eventually go stale):

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sea...17/04/19/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

It's a normal route from Waterloo to Wimbledon depot, and has been going on for many, many years. The railway was first established as a mainline route, and when ownership was transferred to LU the SWT future use was guaranteed.

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
Not another NIMBY who's moved in next to a railway/tube line and now complains about the noise.

A bit like moving to Hounslow and complaining about Heathrow.

ilkestonian

In what way might people suffer?

You can't, I assume, be referring to the reasonably common practice on operational railway lines of actually running trains on them, so I can only imagine you are troubled by them running empty trains.

If you need to travel when the trains are running empty, perhaps a bus or taxi would suffice instead.

julianhmltn

Yes i live next to a railway 1 I don't mind during the day , it at night as well!

As for those who wrote those sulky comments ! As its not you affected why should you care !!

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Yes i live next to a railway 1 I don't mind during the day , it at night as well!

As for those who wrote those sulky comments ! As its not you affected why should you care !!
The railway is a 24 hour operation. Empty stock needs to get to the depot for cleaning and maintenance, and they will also need to be positioned for the morning rush hour. It's a necessary evil.

A few miles away, Thameslink and Southern run services twenty four hours a day, so in comparison, your situation is pretty lucky!

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

With all due respect, this is an enthusiasts' forum, so I don't think many of us would "suffer" from the sound of railway noise. You might get more sympathy on a local message board.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

I care, because when considered nationally there's a bit of a trend developing of people moaning about normal operations on a railway that is already there.

Now if traffic on this route has suddenly increased dramatically from a historic norm, then that is a slightly different matter - however I don't believe it has at all.

How many of the trains in the list I linked to in my earlier reply actually run outside of normal LU operating hours? Perhaps 2 of them?

gswindale

Hi,

We lived pretty much next to the Great Western mainline in Slough for a year in a house with only "secondary" double glazing.

That had noisy diesel trains running more frequently throughout the night than you'll be getting from the electric ones.

Wasn't much of an issue apart from one week in August 2003 when it was exceptionally hot and engineering works were ongoing overnight!

The trains have to go somewhere and given that they've probably been running for longer than you've been there; I'm not sure what the issue is?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

steamybrian

Established Member

There are many members on this forum who live next to a railway with a train service during the night. They do not complain because when they moved there they accepted that the railway was there and trains would run.

Deepgreen

Established Member
With all due respect, this is an enthusiasts' forum, so I don't think many of us would "suffer" from the sound of railway noise. You might get more sympathy on a local message board.

Not quite true - there are many members who are not enthusiasts (in the broadest sense of the word) and who have as much right to post here as the rest. However, my question still stands - how long has the OP lived there, leading to the follow-on one of why is this an issue now?

julianhmltn

1year !!!

I was not complaining was asking a question.
Its a relief line to the depot at Wimbledon !!!:

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
It can be used as a diversion for mainline trains as well as departmental & ECS moves to/from Wimbledon Park depot.

Just be thankful that the flyover over the Windsor lines hasn't been replaced otherwise you'd have even more mainline trains going that way, so you better hope that TfL don't take the line over as they probably would replace it.

Veteran Member
1year !!!

Sorry, misunderstood "suffer" as a complaint.
It's the obvious route from Clapham Junction to the depots, as they are on the Up (London bound) side of a 4- track railway.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
1year !!!

The overlap of the sets of people marked "People who live next to the railway line between East Putney and Point Pleasant" and "People on this forum" is going to be very small on the Venn diagram. Given it is such a short stretch of railway (less than one mile) it is probably just you in that overlap.

Even if it were not just you, I expect other people in that category would accept that they have knowingly chosen to live next to a railway line that was already there, upon which the timetable has not fundamentally changed for over a decade, and thus accept they have no right to complain about "suffering" anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.