• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Points limit on road driving license?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WombleGuard

Hello,

Is there a limit that TOCs require for points on your car license (to join as a driver)?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rockhopper

However - if you have points for drink driving then that might be different!

Need2

However - if you have points for drink driving then that might be different!
As I remember, my toc didn’t even ask for a copy of my license.
You do not need a car driving license to be able to drive a train.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Hello,

Is there a limit that TOCs require for points on your car license (to join as a driver)?

Thanks.
Not for the passenger TOCs. However some of the FOCs do require you have a licence, and may have limits on points, as you may have to drive a work vehicle to/from/between yards etc.

It would also be highly relevant if wanting to join a tram operator, as tram drivers need their (car) driving licence to be allowed to drive trams on the road.

If you obtained your points as a result of a criminal conviction, as opposed to a Fixed Penalty Notice, you may also need to declare this - it depends on whether it is 'spent' yet.

Papa

A driver at my depot has been driving trains for over 30 years and doesn't have a car driving license.

Rockhopper

As I remember, my toc didn’t even ask for a copy of my license.
You do not need a car driving license to be able to drive a train.
Drink driving is a criminal conviction though which they would be interested in knowing about.

Need2

You don’t get points for drink driving. It’s a straight up ban.
Correct, but you get an endorsement on your license for the next 11 years so if a prospective employer requires you to hold a full license then you cannot get away with being ‘quiet’ about it.

Established Member
Correct, but you get an endorsement on your license for the next 11 years so if a prospective employer requires you to hold a full license then you cannot get away with being ‘quiet’ about it.

And a criminal record which would be revealed by a DBS check (until spent).

Status
Not open for further replies.