• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Police hunt gang after Northern passenger suffered prolonged assault

Status
Not open for further replies.

pemma

Veteran Member
Police are hunting a gang who broke a man’s nose during a prolonged attack that began on Hale Railway Station platform and continued to Navigation Road platform in Altrincham.

The attack on the 39-year-old victim, which took place at around 10pm on Monday November 5th, began after a “verbal altercation” with a group of six young men on Hale station platform.

The group punched the victim before they boarded separate carriages of a Northern Rail service.

They then made their way through the train’s carriages to find their victim, continuing their assault by striking him to the floor.

When the victim left the train at Navigation Road, the group continued to punch and kick him to the floor before fleeing the scene.

British Transport Police now hope to speak to six young men identified in CCTV images.

Anyone who recognises the men in the pictures, or has any information about the incident, is asked to contact BTP by texting 61016 or calling 0800 40 50 40 quoting reference 154 of 07/11/18.

These are the 6 men BTP are looking for
halers7-900x350.jpg

halers8-700x350.jpg

http://altrincham.today/2018/12/17/...nose-prolonged-assault-train-hale-altrincham/

No idea why it takes so long for BTP to release images following an incident. Does it take Northern a month to check their CCTV feeds at stations or something?

One thing that isn't clear is whether the victim left the train at Navigation Road (a few minutes up the line from where he boarded) because that was where he was travelling to or in an attempt to get away from the gang. It looks like the service was being operated by a 156 and the guard rarely walks through between Hale and Navigation Road (where there's 3 stations close together) and the likelihood of them walking through on a late service is significantly lower. So was the guard oblivious to what was going on?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ComUtoR

Established Member
No idea why it takes so long for BTP to release images following an incident. Does it take Northern a month to check their CCTV feeds at stations or something?

Where have you inferred this information from ?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Northern may have given the CCTV very promptly but the police may have been slow to issue it.

And yes the Guard may well have been oblivious. And if they were aware, there is not much they could do other than call the police.

Anyway I hope they catch the cluprits.

pemma

Veteran Member
Where have you inferred this information from ?

The fact that the appeal for information has been launched 6 weeks after the incident and that earlier this year we had a BTP for an incident on the Atherton line launched something like 3 months after the original incident.

robbeech

Established Member
It’s well known that some guards are less likely to walk through the train at all on services later in the evening. They’ve admitted this is to minimise the risk of being attacked themselves. However in this case I don’t necessarily think it would be fair to claim this contributed to the prolonged attack due to the short distances involved.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The fact that the appeal for information has been launched 6 weeks after the incident and that earlier this year we had a BTP for an incident on the Atherton line launched something like 3 months after the original incident.

Is it not the case that they try and identify the culprits without an appeal first, and only when those avenues of enquiry are exhausted they then launch a public appeal.

CC 72100

Established Member
It’s well known that some guards are less likely to walk through the train at all on services later in the evening. They’ve admitted this is to minimise the risk of being attacked themselves. However in this case I don’t necessarily think it would be fair to claim this contributed to the prolonged attack due to the short distances involved.

It would do if it was DOO in an RMT press release though <D

pemma

Veteran Member
Is it not the case that they try and identify the culprits without an appeal first, and only when those avenues of enquiry are exhausted they then launch a public appeal.

But don't they need to ask witnesses for statements of what happened? I suppose they may have got on the train at Piccadilly and asked if anyone saw what happened to speak to them but some witnesses will likely have alighted at Altrincham or Navigation Road.

pemma

Veteran Member

Like I said in the opening post we don't know if the victim got off at Navigation Road because they only planned to make a short journey or whether it was an attempt to escape the attackers. If the guard had been aware perhaps he/she could have released the doors at Altrincham and then returned to the cab and announced that members of BTP will soon be boarding this train? (Whether they are or not.) It allows the attackers to escape but if they run off then everyone is safe.

furnessvale

Established Member
Once pictures are put into the public domain any chance of identification by other means, eg Identification parades, photo albums, street I/D are null and void as the defence can claim the I/D was made based on the released picture, not the actual incident.

Thus police will only release pictures after all other avenues are exhausted.

Eccles1983

On Moderation
Once pictures are put into the public domain any chance of identification by other means, eg Identification parades, photo albums, street I/D are null and void as the defence can claim the I/D was made based on the released picture, not the actual incident.

Thus police will only release pictures after all other avenues are exhausted.

Spot on. It's the last roll of the dice before they file the case pending any new info.

Doesn't fit the OP's agenda, but let's not let's proper process get in the way of that.

al78

Established Member

I can't think what the guard is going to do about a six against one attack. Call the BTP? Too late, the victim is already beaten senseless well before they get there, and the guard is unlikely to be able to stop the train at the next station and hold the gang onboard until the BTP arrive.

pemma

Veteran Member
I can't think what the guard is going to do about a six against one attack. Call the BTP? Too late, the victim is already beaten senseless well before they get there, and the guard is unlikely to be able to stop the train at the next station and hold the gang onboard until the BTP arrive.

That's why I suggested opening the doors and announcing that BTP are on the way. The gang of 6 might decide to flee but if they do that it means they are no longer threatening the safety of a passenger.

Status
Not open for further replies.