• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Policy when passengers cannot alight due to a short platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I'm aware that usually passengers could just walk through the train but what if...
  • Two non gangwayed units are working in multiple but only one fits on the platform?
  • The wheelchair space is not on the platform?
In many cases it's unclear what carriages are for what stations before the approach to the station in question, so this could lead to passengers becoming trapped on the train and ultimately carried past their destination?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
It will all depend on the type of stock and the TOCs policies but possible likely scenarios include;

Two non gangwayed units are working in multiple but only one fits on the platform?
An announcement would be made before hand that anyone needing to alight at the short platform station to travel in the front X Coaches. If you end up in the wrong half then largely its tough.

The wheelchair space is not on the platform?
Either as above (but get control to arrange a taxi back from the next suitable station) OR depending on the type of stock arrange with the driver/Control/Signaller as appropriate to draw forward.

Parallel

Established Member
GWR frequently call at short platforms with no walk through. It is announced at stations where passengers should board if they want to alight at these stations, and the crew on board also announce it at least one station previous to give you time to get into the right part of the train.

I have seen passengers stranded in the wrong unit before. In one case the guy pulled the doors open (it was a 150/1) and jump down onto the track...

Not with wheelchairs but I’ve seen a guard allow a passenger with a bike to board at the only platformed door (which in this case, had no bicycle spaces adjacent) on the basis that they would disembark and re-board the train at the next station at the relevant door that had the bicycle spaces. I wonder if they could assist wheelchair users to do the same. Or of course, drawing forward might be an option in some cases.

Peter C

Established Member
As has already been mentioned by @Parallel, a lot of GWR's services call at stations with short platforms, such as stations on the Cotswold Line.
On the Cotswold Line, at Kingham, Charlbury, and Moreton-in-Marsh, before the platform extensions were brought into use, announcements would be made reminding passengers that to alight at those stations, they would have to be in a certain carriage. It still happens today, with many of the trains being Class 802 and Class 800/3 9-car sets; these don't fit onto all of the platforms and announcements are made onboard the train just before it arrives at the station in question (after the "The next station is..." announcement) and also at each station the train calls at before said station.

Hope this helps,

-Peter :)

Established Member
I was overcarried on a GWR service formed of a 143+150 calling at a short platform where no announcement of the fact was made. I'd never been through that station before so didn't know. Wasn't too impressed!

sportzbar

At some stations Northern have a local "Long Train Short Platform" procedure for trains consisting of 2 non gangway units. This would be announced on departure from the main stations and along the route.

The guard would be working in the rear set and would first open the furthest forward passenger door of the rear unit. Then stepping into the platform the guard would move to the rearmost passenger door of the front unit and egress the door from outside. This way passengers can get off both units.

Of course there are many cases of over carrying passengers but these tend to be people with headphones on that don't hear the announcements.....

jfowkes

Not with wheelchairs but I’ve seen a guard allow a passenger with a bike to board at the only platformed door (which in this case, had no bicycle spaces adjacent) on the basis that they would disembark and re-board the train at the next station at the relevant door that had the bicycle spaces. I wonder if they could assist wheelchair users to do the same. Or of course, drawing forward might be an option in some cases.

I've done this many times with EMR (then EMT) with my bike at East Midlands Parkway, as my former local station (Beeston) has a short platform.

py_megapixel

Established Member
At some stations Northern have a local "Long Train Short Platform" procedure for trains consisting of 2 non gangway units. This would be announced on departure from the main stations and along the route.

The guard would be working in the rear set and would first open the furthest forward passenger door of the rear unit. Then stepping into the platform the guard would move to the rearmost passenger door of the front unit and egress the door from outside. This way passengers can get off both units.

Of course there are many cases of over carrying passengers but these tend to be people with headphones on that don't hear the announcements.....
But on most if not all units operated by Northern, the wheelchair space is towards the centre of the train. What if a wheelchair user needs to alight?
I doubt a wheelchair could get through the aisle on most 2+2 stock, let alone a 3+2 Sprinter, and it certainly couldn't get through the gangway between carriages.

If a passenger doesn't pay attention to the announcements and they are overcarried then some of the blame can be put onto them. But if a wheelchair user effectively finds themself trapped at their own station, what happens? Must Northern book them a taxi from the next station?

High Dyke

Established Member
I used to see that regularly at Newark Castle in an evening, when the St Pancras - Lincoln service arrived. Only the doors of the front three vehicles were opened - no doubt announcements were made explaining that fact. However, you would suddenly see passengers making their way forward when they realise the door they're stood at isn't going to open, usually just as the hustle alarm began.

To be fair to passengers, the PA in each carriage or vestibule is often markedly different in volume. Few TOCs seem to care about this. Many announcements are inaudible.

py_megapixel

Established Member
To be fair to passengers, the PA in each carriage or vestibule is often markedly different in volume. Few TOCs seem to care about this. Many announcements are inaudible.
Yes; newer rolling stock seems to be better but on Sprinters in particular you can be sat at one end of the carriage listening to a painfully loud announcement while someone at the other end can barely hear anything!

skyhigh

Established Member
But on most if not all units operated by Northern, the wheelchair space is towards the centre of the train. What if a wheelchair user needs to alight?
I doubt a wheelchair could get through the aisle on most 2+2 stock, let alone a 3+2 Sprinter, and it certainly couldn't get through the gangway between carriages.
Stock such as 158s and 150/2 the guard can open all platformed doors. If two units are coupled, if possible the guard should use route knowledge to board any wheelchair passengers in the unit that will have the appropriate accommodation on the platform.

LowLevel

Established Member

If a passenger doesn't pay attention to the announcements and they are overcarried then some of the blame can be put onto them. But if a wheelchair user effectively finds themself trapped at their own station, what happens? Must Northern book them a taxi from the next station?

Each station will have a specific arrangement for it's accessibility level. The guard will manage the passenger accordingly. We have stations with Harrington Humps and if a wheelchair user wishes to alight (or we find someone to board) we get the driver to reposition the train as required and give them a stop buzzer code when we are in the right location. It's easy enough to manage provided you know the person requiring to alight is there!

colchesterken

Back in the 50s when they ran steam day trip specials to Southend Central the train stopped then pulled up for a second stop on GOBLIN stations.....aaahhhhhh they were the good old days, 2 6 4T with 8 on struggling to get up the bank from Woodgrange park to Wanstead park

londonbridge

Established Member
At least with London Underground it’s usually only one set of doors in the front or rear carriage that don’t open rather than being unable to board or alight from the entire carriage.

Status
Not open for further replies.