• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Politics etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
If our armed forces were crap, they'd all be dead in Iraq by now and our country would be up the creek as the whole world would know they could invade our country without worry of competent resistance.

As class 313 has said, this country's army is one of the world's best. They may not be fighting a war which makes sense (a whole different topic!), but they are certainly not 'crap'. As I read on a different forum recently, if you're going to post something you wouldn't say to that person's face, don't post/say it at all. I doubt highly, fusionrail, that you'd have the guts to walk up to a British army (or for that matter any army) soldier and tell them they're crap. If you do, and you live to tell the tale, then please let us know.

I would reckon the same would apply to the country's secret service, but for obvious reasons we don't hear of their achievements.

As for rationing, I don't know how we'd all manage, but a lot of us (I include myself in this) would need to change our daily diet. I know I eat a lot, I won't deny that, so I'd struggle for some time with the rationing. I don't doubt it wouldn't be easy but if it came to it we'd have to put up with it.

Growing your own vegetables has a lot of advantages you know. No unnecessary sprays (which I still reckon could account for a lot of the problems the NHS has to deal with these days - the previous few generations didn't have illnesses to the extent we do these days, why do we? Again, it's a totally different topic so I won't rant on about this here), you control exactly when you reap the fruit or vegetables off your plants, you don't have to fork out the huge ching the supermarkets charge us for mass-produced food or the even bigger ching the farmers charge for the same thing (another topic...) and, quite frankly, it tends to taste nicer too. We grow our own vegetables here (not everything mind, not possible to) and they are usually very good. Granted, this year the weather has not produced for growing stuff, which is why we are still waiting for the runner beans to produce (well, we planted late too after the original lot were wrecked by freak weather).

Anyway, that's my two-pence (or should that be five-pence? 8)) for the time being!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Death

Established Member
Hail All! <D
Just another of my "drive-by" posts as I'm fairly tired tonight, and will be returning to Azeroth very shortly. Either way...
Just a thought, but turning stuff off at night and when not in use helps a lot. Which is why I'm always turning off lights when I'm not in the room, putting the computer on standby when it's being abandoned for longer than 5 minutes when it's on, turning it off as soon as I've finished with it...I also turn my phone charger off the second it's finished (or as close to that as possible), same with every other charger I use. The TV et al gets turned off at the wall when it's not being used in preference to standby which still uses plenty of electricity. I even unplug stuff at night just in case!
I do pretty much the same things as ye've outlined above there mate. Also, I turn everything off at the wall whenever it's not in use (Including my network router and cable modem) and turn the main switch on my consumer board to "Off" if I'm going to be leaving the flat unoccupied overnight or longer. 8)
(My computers keep good enough time using their CMOS batteries, and all of my normal clocks are battery operated. :))
...Of course, with soaring energy prices it's still very expensive (£15 or more a week) and is set to go ever higher thanks to the government's lack of intervention to deal with it.
Ye Gods! Your weekly bill is higher than my average quarterly one! (My last one on Wednesday came to £13.65)
Are ye sure that ye aren't leaving some form of high-current appliance connected on a continual basis? :shock:

My tips for keeping the 'leccy bills down would be based on what I do as a matter of routine:
  • Take an Economy 7 tariff - Using this, you get seperate rates for day and night electricity usage, and units used at night - Say, for water and storage heating - Are a lot cheaper than those used during the day! :)
  • Make sure that your tariff is as appropriate as possible - As a very low user myself, I found that it was cheaper to switch to a tariff with no daily standing charge. Although this means that I pay nearly 1.5x the cost of each day unit used when compared with my neighbours, the absence of the standing charge more than makes up for that. :D
    (Also...I average about 1kW/h consumption per day give or take. :))
  • Avoid using unnecessary heating - Insted of running an oil or convector heater, close the windows and make use of heat coming off of most household appliances insted. CRT-based televisions, fridges, freezers and tumble-dryers are the obvious sources here, and PCs make a good contribution as well. :)
Farewell... <D
>> Death <<

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Hail All! <D
Just another of my "drive-by" posts as I'm fairly tired tonight, and will be returning to Azeroth very shortly. Either way... I do pretty much the same things as ye've outlined above there mate. Also, I turn everything off at the wall whenever it's not in use (Including my network router and cable modem) and turn the main switch on my consumer board to "Off" if I'm going to be leaving the flat unoccupied overnight or longer. 8)
(My computers keep good enough time using their CMOS batteries, and all of my normal clocks are battery operated. :))

Sounds like a good plan that, I will turn everything off as much as possible. Our PC and my brother's laptop have good CMOS batteries so no problem there. I wouldn't dare leave my PC and router on when out of the house and no-one using it! What a waste of power...

Ye Gods! Your weekly bill is higher than my average quarterly one! (My last one on Wednesday came to £13.65)
Are ye sure that ye aren't leaving some form of high-current appliance connected on a continual basis? :shock:

You use only £13.65 in 3 months?! Are you the only person in your residency? If so, I live at home with my Mum and brother, so we have three people using the electricity. Problem is my brother is usually up in the night when the rest of us are in bed, so there is rarely a time in the house when absolutely nothing is on. Granted, when one of us is up only what we are using is on.

Having gotten the Internet back recently, we've had a bit of a spike of useage because we're on the PC and laptop a lot again. I believe we're on Economy 7, it's the only way to do things IMO.

My tips for keeping the 'leccy bills down would be based on what I do as a matter of routine:
  • Take an Economy 7 tariff - Using this, you get seperate rates for day and night electricity usage, and units used at night - Say, for water and storage heating - Are a lot cheaper than those used during the day! :)
  • Make sure that your tariff is as appropriate as possible - As a very low user myself, I found that it was cheaper to switch to a tariff with no daily standing charge. Although this means that I pay nearly 1.5x the cost of each day unit used when compared with my neighbours, the absence of the standing charge more than makes up for that. :D
    (Also...I average about 1kW/h consumption per day give or take. :))
  • Avoid using unnecessary heating - Insted of running an oil or convector heater, close the windows and make use of heat coming off of most household appliances insted. CRT-based televisions, fridges, freezers and tumble-dryers are the obvious sources here, and PCs make a good contribution as well. :)
Farewell... <D
>> Death <<

Trust me, last winter we had hardly any money for much heating. This summer ain't been much better, but it's great having the oven to cook your lunch and tea as it tends to heat the kitchen up well at the same time. An open coal-fueled fire is still one of the best ways to warm a house and certainly makes things cosy!

Pumbaa

Established Member
I think today is an apt day to resume this discussion, albeit with a slightly different title.

As far as I see it, today marks the start of the UK recession officially , and Sunday saw the start of the global recession.

Let's just have a look at the last few days. The FTSE closed down 119 points. The Dow Jones 233. This has never been seen before. The trading floor was closed twice on the NY Stock Exchange as automatic kick-stops prevented further losses. The London Stock Exchnage has announced that they intend to introduce kick-stops tomorrow to prevent a repeat of the last few days.

Billions of dollars have been wiped off the face of the earth. Just last week, the Federal Reserve pumped in $150 billion to the US markets, and the stock rose by almost 460 points. By the opening of trading the next day, it'd dropped by 462. $150 billion was lost in 24 hours. Vanished off the face of the earth.

There are happenings in the exchanges that we can only speculate until it hits the fan. I imagine tonight that the final touches to the HBOS Lloyds acquisition will be put into place, saving HBOS from an otherwise certain doom. HBOS shares fell 22% yesterday, compared with over 50% today, although this was frozen before trading closed, losing 19% within two hours. Lloyds also lost the 15% it had acquired over the last 48 hours.

Barclays have now got $68 billion in liabilities to cope with. I wish them luck -but somehow I don't think they will be surviving this time next year, the negation between liabilities and assets just isn't enough.

Hedging and naked shorting has crippled the global economy for good now. I hope the American government is happy with their traditional lassiez-faire approach now. Important financiers world over are now trying to work out exactly how much has been lost since the start of the subprime mortgage crisis.

They can't - money is just disappearing too quickly. With hyperinflation just around the corner, we are screwed. Big time. $639 billion vanished into the administrators hands yesterday. It's going to keep getting worse.

EDIT: just before 2200, the deal was agreed between HBOS and Lloyds. HBOS wanted their shares bought at 333p per share, they went eventually for 282p. Less than a ninth of their value a year ago.

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
So many good points in that, I can't add much to it at all except to concur and to ask where on Earth all those billions have vanished to.

Beaker

Established Member
I think today is an apt day to resume this discussion, albeit with a slightly different title.

As far as I see it, today marks the start of the UK recession officially , and Sunday saw the start of the global recession.

Let's just have a look at the last few days. The FTSE closed down 119 points. The Dow Jones 233. This has never been seen before. The trading floor was closed twice on the NY Stock Exchange as automatic kick-stops prevented further losses. The London Stock Exchnage has announced that they intend to introduce kick-stops tomorrow to prevent a repeat of the last few days.

Billions of dollars have been wiped off the face of the earth. Just last week, the Federal Reserve pumped in $150 billion to the US markets, and the stock rose by almost 460 points. By the opening of trading the next day, it'd dropped by 462. $150 billion was lost in 24 hours. Vanished off the face of the earth.

There are happenings in the exchanges that we can only speculate until it hits the fan. I imagine tonight that the final touches to the HBOS Lloyds acquisition will be put into place, saving HBOS from an otherwise certain doom. HBOS shares fell 22% yesterday, compared with over 50% today, although this was frozen before trading closed, losing 19% within two hours. Lloyds also lost the 15% it had acquired over the last 48 hours.

Barclays have now got $68 billion in liabilities to cope with. I wish them luck -but somehow I don't think they will be surviving this time next year, the negation between liabilities and assets just isn't enough.

Hedging and naked shorting has crippled the global economy for good now. I hope the American government is happy with their traditional lassiez-faire approach now. Important financiers world over are now trying to work out exactly how much has been lost since the start of the subprime mortgage crisis.

They can't - money is just disappearing too quickly. With hyperinflation just around the corner, we are screwed. Big time. $639 billion vanished into the administrators hands yesterday. It's going to keep getting worse.

EDIT: just before 2200, the deal was agreed between HBOS and Lloyds. HBOS wanted their shares bought at 333p per share, they went eventually for 282p. Less than a ninth of their value a year ago.

Its not that bad though, do you have to spend £1,000,000,000 on a loaf of bread?

Pumbaa

Established Member
Its not that bad though, do you have to spend £1,000,000,000 on a loaf of bread?

Don't bet on it. Inflation will go through the roof. £600 million has been 'invented' this week alone.

Both the US and the Treasury are fully aware that they have just had to kiss goodbye to their currencies.

When a situation like this occurs, there are two choices - a) cut money, let the economy go bang and rebuild from scratch or b) pump money in, enter hyperinflation, scrap the currency and rebuild from halfway through the economic cycle.

Governments always do option b), as it's easiest one to talk your way around from a political perspective. Option a) would be a lot quicker, but the shock could be too much for some.

The world (remarkably) seems to have woken up over the last week. But don't become complacent - the real **** is yet to hit the fan. Just get rid of your money - invest, invest, invest. Soon, maybe within a year, maybe slightly longer, the money sitting in your account will be worthless.

I recommend precious metals...

class 313

Established Member
I say, lets start a war economy. That way everyone wins.

Jobs are opened up by factories being built then weapons being built, we sell/use the weapons to stop China/India trying to use most of the worlds fuel with their industrial boom.

Fuel prices go down, unemployment goes down. Ok so soldiers and civilians will die, but that's short term loss for long term gain I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.