• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

POLL: Are you an Extrovert or Introvert?

ABOUT YOU: Are you an extrovert, and introvert, or an ambivert?

• I am pretty much an extrovert

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • I am an extrovert-leaning ambivert

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • I am mostly a balanced ambivert

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • I am an introvert-leaning ambivert

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • I am pretty much an introvert

Votes: 33 47.1%
  • I have no idea really I’m afraid

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • I have no idea what you’re on about

Votes: 6 8.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Up_Tilt_390

So I think I’ll take a break from questions I usually ask and just ask people on the forums a bit about themselves. It’s really a simple question today: are you an extrovert, an introvert, or in between as an ambivert?

Me personally, I am quite the introvert. I hate going out getting drunk, I do not always go to social gatherings, and when I do I don’t usually try to be the centre of attention. I also get one of those “introvert hangovers” when I have had too much interaction with people.

So how about you? Are you extrovert who loves to be the life of the party, or are you an introvert who loves it when someone cancels plans for gatherings that you didn’t really want to go to? Or are you an ambivert who has different leanings on different occasions? I look forward to hearing from you all...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lucan

Established Member
I'm an introvert who can rise to an occasion if I need to, but find doing so an emotionally tiring chore. I once read the difference was that an extrovert needs to recharge their emotional batteries in company, but an introvert needs to recharge them alone. A good observation.

It is unfortunate that the world has become ruled and dominated by extroverts, an effect of modern media which encourages "acting" to the cameras and dropping feel-good soundbites; style over substance. It was not always so. As Wikipedia says, introversion has come to have a very bad image and to be regarded almost as a mental illness. Wikipedia used to have (but no longer) two pictures supposedly of an extrovert and an introvert, both girls; the extrovert was beautiful with a nice figure, while the intovert was ugly, frumpy and overweight : such is the public prejudice.

H G Wells nailed it in his story "The Time Machine". The future human race divided into two sub-species, the extrovert Eloi who just swanned around all day, and the introvert Morlocks who lived underground making and running things. The book depicts the Morlocks as the baddies, but as one who helped keep first railways and then power stations running, I find I identify with them.

gazthomas

Established Member
I think it is good to know this for yourself and others as it helps you understand why people behave the way they do in different situations and to get the best out of individuals and teams

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'm an introvert who can rise to an occasion if I need to, but find doing so an emotionally tiring chore. I once read the difference was that an extrovert needs to recharge their emotional batteries in company, but an introvert needs to recharge them alone. A good observation.

It is unfortunate that the world has become ruled and dominated by extroverts, an effect of modern media which encourages "acting" to the cameras and dropping feel-good soundbites; style over substance. It was not always so. As Wikipedia says, introversion has come to have a very bad image and to be regarded almost as a mental illness. Wikipedia used to have (but no longer) two pictures supposedly of an extrovert and an introvert, both girls; the extrovert was beautiful with a nice figure, while the intovert was ugly, frumpy and overweight : such is the public prejudice.

I fall somewhere in the middle of that. I enjoy being sociable and outgoing (though am not as good at it as I'd like to be) but do need to "recharge" on my own. I don't see a massive issue with that as such - I also enjoy other things that are a lot of effort like climbing and running - we don't have to only enjoy easy stuff :)

fowler9

Established Member
I don't get the question probably because of my own personality. Sometimes I like to be left alone, other times I can be right at the centre of the party. I have been Best Man at a wedding before and am doing so again this year. I will get up and do Karaoke in a bar, I like Snowboarding, football and death metal gigs. I like getting the train off out in to the countryside and going for a walk, I like sitting on the top of the hill by where I live and reading a book. At various points in my life I am all of the options.

Up_Tilt_390

I don't get the question probably because of my own personality. Sometimes I like to be left alone, other times I can be right at the centre of the party. I have been Best Man at a wedding before and am doing so again this year. I will get up and do Karaoke in a bar, I like Snowboarding, football and death metal gigs. I like getting the train off out in to the countryside and going for a walk, I like sitting on the top of the hill by where I live and reading a book. At various points in my life I am all of the options.

Sounds to me like an extrovert-leaning ambivert, though that's based on the fact that you've only given one example of you being introverted in that you sometimes like to be left alone. Even then, some extroverts need a bit of alone time unless I've really misunderstood their nature.

fowler9

Established Member
Sounds to me like an extrovert-leaning ambivert, though that's based on the fact that you've only given one example of you being introverted in that you sometimes like to be left alone. Even then, some extroverts need a bit of alone time unless I've really misunderstood their nature.
Ha ha, fair play. I don't like to be pigeonholed myself.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yep, with you all the way there mate (apart from when you want to be alone, then I’ll be on a neighbouring hill, or beach...)

Up_Tilt_390

It seems to be that a good amount of people here that are more introverted than extroverted. Hell, more people had no clue what I was on about. But it also seems to me that extroverts, for the most part, have a much less understanding about introverts than vice versa. From what I've noticed and heard, extroverts tend to think introverts as people with mental issues who just need to get out more and do something they find fun, thinking it will somehow change them. I've been told I should get out more and try doing things, even despite me not really being interested. I like to do my own things.

Senex

Established Member
From what I've noticed and heard, extroverts tend to think introverts as people with mental issues who just need to get out more and do something they find fun, thinking it will somehow change them. I've been told I should get out more and try doing things, even despite me not really being interested. I like to do my own things.
I think you're absolutely right there.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Now that I think about it, I'd label myself a introvert-leaning ambivert. I don't have any real problem interacting with other people socially most of the time, but I by-and-large prefer to go it alone and do my own thing.

Lucan

Established Member
... extroverts tend to think introverts as people with mental issues who just need to get out more and do something they find fun, thinking it will somehow change them.
Itself a major misconception - assuming introverts spend their lives in "on their computer in their mom's basement" as the Americans say. In fact the extrovert is more likely to be in a basement (at a party) while the introvert is out climbing a mountain. It also assumes that introverts are not having fun doing what they do.

Another example - a group of teenagers was hanging around near my house in Bristol, one of whom, obviously the leader, had a motorbike. Now and then he would ride round the block and return, greeted to applause from the others. He was an extrovert. Now if I had a motorbike at that age, as an introvert, I wouldn't just ride it round the block - I would be riding it to Weston-Super-Mare for example. So who "gets out" more?

keppoch69

On Moderation
Errm. Fish. I have not logged in for a while, though I do read through recent posts.
My professional background is learning disabilities & mental health/support work.
I am an introvert. Call a spade a spade, I am a neurotic loner with a high martyrdom/rescue ability.
We did have a thread last year about mental health, to which I participated in. As did the gent who likes Mr Ray Paul.
Perhaps we could have a well-being sub-thread under the general section perhaps?? I was thinking, as we have a long running, "accomodation" thread, & other threads come up at times about where to eat/get provisions near a railway station?? Like a self-care section?? Pass on tips, & when a person is struggling on the road/tracks I guess, can post in.

fowler9

Established Member
It seems to be that a good amount of people here that are more introverted than extroverted. Hell, more people had no clue what I was on about. But it also seems to me that extroverts, for the most part, have a much less understanding about introverts than vice versa. From what I've noticed and heard, extroverts tend to think introverts as people with mental issues who just need to get out more and do something they find fun, thinking it will somehow change them. I've been told I should get out more and try doing things, even despite me not really being interested. I like to do my own things.
I don't. I'd call myself more extrovert than introvert I guess, but I've suffered from depression for over twenty years.

HainultLoop

I am pretty much an introvert. I do go to lengths to avoid talking to people myself, or I get others to do it for me. I wouldn't call myself antisocial though, which I think is a common misconception of introverts; I do have close friends and I do enjoy talking to them. The problem with the world is that the few extroverts who scream the first thing that comes to their mind who never properly think about it are the ones who are making such a terrible job out of ruling it.

H G Wells nailed it in his story "The Time Machine". The future human race divided into two sub-species, the extrovert Eloi who just swanned around all day, and the introvert Morlocks who lived underground making and running things. The book depicts the Morlocks as the baddies, but as one who helped keep first railways and then power stations running, I find I identify with them.

Ah I'm reading that right now!! :)

fowler9

Established Member
I am pretty much an introvert. I do go to lengths to avoid talking to people myself, or I get others to do it for me. I wouldn't call myself antisocial though, which I think is a common misconception of introverts; I do have close friends and I do enjoy talking to them. The problem with the world is that the few extroverts who scream the first thing that comes to their mind who never properly think about it are the ones who are making such a terrible job out of ruling it.
You see I agree in parts and strongly disagree in others. We are all individuals. Take for example Anders Breivik and Varg Vikernes. Both would be described as introverts I would say. Breivik committed a horrific terrorist attack after sending his right wing manifesto to people including Varg Vikernes who had previously been locked up for a very violent murder (He was caught speeding in a car full of explosives he was going to use to blow up the Norwegian Crown Jewels after having previously stabbed to death the vocalist in a rival Norwegian Black Metal band). Vikernes rejected Breiviks ideology despite them both being right wingers and introverts. Now take in to account that you say that the problem in the world is extroverts screaming the first thing that comes in to their heads who don't properly think about it. Don't get me wrong and apologies, I am not saying that all introverts are violent psycopaths, just that some are and some aren't, same with extroverts. We are all different. I used some pretty extreme examples there.

Last edited:

HainultLoop

You see I agree in parts and strongly disagree in others. We are all individuals. Take for example Anders Breivik and Varg Vikernes. Both would be described as introverts I would say. Breivik committed a horrific terrorist attack after sending his right wing manifesto to people including Varg Vikernes who had previously been locked up for a very violent murder (He was caught speeding in a car full of explosives he was going to use to blow up the Norwegian Crown Jewels after having previously stabbed to death the vocalist in a rival Norwegian Black Metal band). Vikernes rejected Breiviks ideology despite them both being right wingers and introverts. Now take in to account that you say that the problem in the world is extroverts screaming the first thing that comes in to their heads who don't properly think about it. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that all introverts are violent psycopaths, just that some are and some aren't, same with extroverts. We are all different.

Thanks for that. Being probably too young to have heard about it at the time, I looked up the Norway Attacks and the people behind them. I guess anyone, introvert or extrovert can do such horrific things.

Maybe I could have been clearer with that second point - I'm not saying that the problem with the world is extroverts, but it is that if those extroverts that just love being the centre of attention are very centred, putting themselves and their ego over everything else run the world, it becomes worse for everyone (I was thinking of Trump here). People, extroverted or introverted, should think. Introverts aren't by one stroke all good and neither are extroverts all bad - as you say, we are all individuals.

fowler9

Established Member
Yeah mate, to be fair I used two very extreme examples of introverts. I didn't mean by doing so to imply that introverts are all maniacs. Just that 2 particular introverts that are extreme in their views can not even agree with each other. But yeah, all in we are individuals. I do in general find extreme extrovert "Look at me" types more annoying, oddly enough though I do find them easier to tell to "do one" or "Go f*** yourself" if that makes sense. Ha ha.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Is the spelling correct in this poll? I'd have thought the word for someone who likes to spend too much time posting clever self-referential jokes on Internet forums instead of giving serious answers would be spelled 'Intervert' not 'introvert'.

Up_Tilt_390

Is the spelling correct in this poll? I'd have thought the word for someone who likes to spend too much time posting clever self-referential jokes on Internet forums instead of giving serious answers would be spelled 'Intervert' not 'introvert'.

I offer my apologies to those I haven’t been able to cater for in the poll :p

route101

Established Member
Everyone is different .
In my college class theres a few quiet ones including me , yet im the one that talks to 3 quiet ones yet the 3 dont talk to each other , im like a beacon to them . For example 2 of them sit on chairs before class , they are always early ,i walk past them past the chairs and both of them stand because ive walked past heading towards class , just because of walked past made no eye contact they immediately get up . Its amazing . It happens when i sit with them , i get up and they get up too . Im sure they have aspbergers so ill cut them slack .

BantamMenace

Would be interesting to see some research into if this forum, being railway orientated, was skewed towards introvert and if the attraction of railways and finding the common ground with others on this topic is highly correlative with being introverted.

I would also imagine you get some fairly extroverted people who are introverted about talking about their knowledge/enjoyment/interest in the railways. I would definitely consider myself an example of this.

Macwomble

From what I've noticed and heard, extroverts tend to think introverts as people with mental issues who just need to get out more and do something they find fun, thinking it will somehow change them. I've been told I should get out more and try doing things, even despite me not really being interested. I like to do my own things.

I'll second that.

fowler9

Established Member
I'm not entirely surprised to see such a high number of rail enthusiasts identifying as introverts. It is a pass time that is easy to enjoy on your own or with your mates without being showy or competitive. The few people I have met from the forum are all lovely guys. I still don't agree that extroverts tend to think introverts have mental issues, however, due to their nature any extrovert who thinks introverts have mental issues will probably be very vocal about it. I am an extrovert who suffers from depression so I have mental issues. There is a massive miss understanding in society about mental health and how it works. Two years ago I was signed off for two months with anxiety and depression when I had a bad spell. When I came back to work I was more than happy to tell people why I had been off and pretty much everyone was like "But you always seem so happy and outgoing". It is kind of ironic. Ha ha.

Up_Tilt_390

I do think it would be an interesting study to see whether railway related jobs or activities do tend to attract more introverts than extroverts. I mean I cannot imagine someone who loves attention and interaction with a lot of people would enjoy being a train driver or signaller, but then maybe they would enjoy a customer-facing role like a guard or platform staff assistant. Already it seems the overwhelming majority of people who have done the poll are either introverted or leaning towards it, especially given that every extroverted person is just full on extrovert rather than an extrovert-leaning ambivert. More people didn't know what I was on about, but then I am starting to regret putting in that option. If they didn't know what I was on about then they shouldn't try and take part, but in this case it's on me giving them the option.

Status
Not open for further replies.