• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pont Briwet to be closed to trains until 2015 [Update - now reopened as of Sept 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowball

Established Member
Network Rail press release avoids mentioning Pont Briwet.

The train service between Barmouth and Harlech is open for business again today (1 May) following a £10m programme to repair severe damage to the rail infrastructure and sea defences caused by the winter storms.

Delivered two weeks ahead of schedule, Network Rail's work involved removing 40 tonnes of debris and reinstating 6,000 pieces of 'rock armour' that form the sea protection. More than 1,000 sleepers, 2,500 tonnes of ballast and 1,400 metres of track were also installed to enable passenger trains to resume once more.

To boost rail travel, Arriva Trains Wales will be reducing some of the local fares on the line by 30% this summer.

Arriva Trains Wales don't even seem to have a press release.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
Something like this reopening should have been something that the PR division of ATW should have been at pains to ensure was given high-profile publicity.

The ATW PR staff are based in Cardiff :). I wonder if Network Rail Wales, gave away free sticks of rock to celebrate? Paddington/Dawlish comes to mind.

I agree Paul I have not seen an ATW media release.

D1009

Established Member
Something like this reopening should have been something that the PR division of ATW should have been at pains to ensure was given high-profile publicity.
That would have drawn more attention to the fact that Harlech to Pwllheli is still closed.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
That would have drawn more attention to the fact that Harlech to Pwllheli is still closed.

I think that most of the Welsh rail passengers are fully aware that the Barmouth to Harlech section is the final line reinstatement section that suffered great damage in the winter storms whereas the construction of the new Pont Briwet is the reason for the onward line closure to Pwllheli.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
... whereas the construction of the new Pont Briwet is the reason for the onward line closure to Pwllheli.

Well, indirectly, yes - it was not planned this way after all. A reminder of the quote in the first post of this thread

...Detailed examinations have established piling work in the river bed for the new Pont Dwyryd crossing is significantly affecting the structural capability of the wooden viaduct it is replacing making it impractical to run trains during the remainder of the construction works.

Mark Langman, route managing director for Wales said: “...Following the examinations, we found the only option to complete the new bridge was to keep the railway line closed until the new structure is in place.

“We will work closely with Gwynedd Council and its contractor so the new bridge can be completed as soon as possible so that rail services can resume”.

The line has been closed since early November after monitoring equipment detected movement to Pont Briwet viaduct during construction works for the replacement bridge.

The bridge was scheduled to remain open whilst the new bridge was constructed immediately alongside it.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Todays offering from the Daily Post.
Pont Briwet: See the progress made on building the new rail and road bridge

Written by Daily Post reporter Eryl Crump 3rd May 2014
Good progress is being made on a new road and rail crossing over a river estuary, engineers said.

The work of building a new bridge across the Afon Dwyryd at Penrhyndeudraeth to replace the 154-year-old Pont Briwet has been beset by problems.

Rail services were suspended last November because the old bridge was “settling” into the sand.

Earlier this year, rotting timbers underneath the road deck forced Gwynedd Council to close the road bridge.

A promised temporary road deck has also not materialised, with traffic between Harlech and Porthmadog forced into a lengthy eight-mile detour, some of it under a traffic convoy system, through Maentwrog.

The Daily Post was allowed exclusive access to the site this week to see the progress being made on the £20m scheme.

Project engineer Pat Jones said major progress has been achieved in recent months.

“The first 12, 20-metre long pre-cast concrete beams have been shipped in and are now in place on the southern side of the estuary and the first part of the concrete decking has now been poured.

“More than 15,000 tonnes of rock armour from Minffordd Quarry is being placed on the new embankments on the Harlech side of the estuary which will help to avoid any future storm damage to the railway line.

“A new footway leading down through Cambrian View and along Harlech Road up to the new pedestrian access to the Wildlife Trust site is also in place,” she said.

Kevin Griffiths, of contractor Hochtief, said the beams were made in Northern Ireland, brought to Holyhead by ship and trucked to the site.

“They were craned into position and dropped right into place. It was like a jigsaw,” he said.

Work on the northern part of the estuary will continue with the prospect trains could run again this summer – buses are currently replacing trains on the Cambrian Coast line between Harlech and Pwllheli.

“Once the railway is complete, work can start to move a water main and the road deck and footpath can then be built,” added Ms Jones.

The council has come under fire for the delays, prompting businesses on both sides of the estuary to call for more effort to be made to complete the bridge as soon as possible.

Officials are hopeful the entire bridge will be open to road and rail traffic by the end of this year.

link http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/pont-briwet-see-progress-made-7066402

Some excellent picture gallery's

Last edited:

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
"Work on the northern part of the estuary will continue with the prospect trains could run again this summer – buses are currently replacing trains on the Cambrian Coast line between Harlech and Pwllheli."

Could. Oh how I like that word. I could win the lottery this summer. I could get struck by lightning.....

When WILL trains run again is what people want to hear.

nowananorack

"Work on the northern part of the estuary will continue with the prospect trains could run again this summer – buses are currently replacing trains on the Cambrian Coast line between Harlech and Pwllheli."

Could. Oh how I like that word. I could win the lottery this summer. I could get struck by lightning.....

I'm going up that way at the end of June. Looks like I'll be going the long way round to Porthmadog from Harlech. Glad the other ways back in action, though the timetable still looks wonderful(I don't think)<(

Gareth Marston

Established Member

The original schedule for the new bridge was not to open till May 15...how far in advance if at all they make it is anyone's guess.

snowball

Established Member
The original schedule for the new bridge was not to open till May 15...how far in advance if at all they make it is anyone's guess.

That may have been the originally scheduled final completion date but the rail element was always planned to open well ahead of the road element (though explicit dates have throughout been hard to come by).

Once it became clear that the original bridge would not reopen, it was said that the rail element would open in May 2014.

Last edited:

merlodlliw

Established Member
That may have been the originally scheduled final completion date but the rail element was always planned to open well ahead of the road element (though explicit dates have throughout been hard to come by).

Once it became clear that the original bridge would not reopen, it was said that the rail element would open in May 2014.

I was speaking to a colleague from Towyn this weekend,he tells me no one appears to know whats happening,dates come come and go and go,

HSTEd

Veteran Member
I am a bit confused by the images posted further up-thread of the bridge works in progress.

Will the line over the Bridge still be single track? The bridge deck seems rather wide.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I am a bit confused by the images posted further up-thread of the bridge works in progress.

Will the line over the Bridge still be single track? The bridge deck seems rather wide.

The new bridge will have a single track railway and a 2-way single-carriageway road, hence the width.

snowball

Established Member
The new bridge will have a single track railway and a 2-way single-carriageway road, hence the width.

And, I believe, only about two-thirds of the eventual width of the bridge is yet under construction. Once the rail track is opened, the old bridge will be demolished and, in the space thus freed, I think a third concrete leg will be added to each pier.

You can get an idea from this picture posted by abirm873 in #355, and the other pictures in his photostream, such as this one.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Strong rumours around "Mach" is that new bridge is settling down off kilter and over twice the expected amount of concrete has been poured an still more is needed also a nearby pylon base is twisting.

snowball

Established Member
That, if true, might explain why they've been so cagey about completion dates.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Agreed, but my source says that it is nothing to do with the railway works.
It looks like none of them got proper footings built so now they are all being inspected.

Ploughman

Established Member
That will all depend on what the weather has been like in the preceeding hours / days.
It should have been a major consideration in the bridge design work, especially as scour protection always used to be a factor on railway bridges over water.

merlodlliw

Established Member
That will all depend on what the weather has been like in the preceeding hours / days.
It should have been a major consideration in the bridge design work, especially as scour protection always used to be a factor on railway bridges over water.

There is a substantial stone bridge after leaving Towyn,just prior to Tonfanau,the tidal waters I have noticed are very fast flowing,the bridge in question at Pont, appears to have become an engineers nightmare,I wonder how far down the foundations go to find a rock base.No idea how strong the water flow is,but spring tides can be very high,perhaps the Victorian engineers found the perfect base for the old bridge,which I understand was in very good condition.

Last edited:

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
As a regular visitor to the area for many years now, it is my impression that in recent years the estuary has seen much more erosion of its banks (particularly on the north side) and the course of the main channel has changed significantly after being relatively stable for many years.

For instance, about 10 years ago it was possible to wade across the estuary at low tide a bit further down ie to cross the Traeth Bach from the shore near Minfford to a point between Talsarnau and Tygwyn passing near Ynys Gifftan. This crossing has not been possible in recent years due to the changes in the main channel, which three or four years ago uncovered a wreck not seen for many years before. The main channel passing near Portmeirion has become distinctly dangerous due to the depth of water at low tide and vertical sandbanks which can collapse suddenly.

The tides on the Traeth Bach have always needed treating with respect, and quite a few unwary visitors have required to be rescued from the sands. This video of a helicopter rescue was taken before the main channel changed its course.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
As a regular visitor to the area for many years now, it is my impression that in recent years the estuary has seen much more erosion of its banks (particularly on the north side) and the course of the main channel has changed significantly after being relatively stable for many years.

For instance, about 10 years ago it was possible to wade across the estuary at low tide a bit further down ie to cross the Traeth Bach from the shore near Minfford to a point between Talsarnau and Tygwyn passing near Ynys Gifftan. This crossing has not been possible in recent years due to the changes in the main channel, which three or four years ago uncovered a wreck not seen for many years before. The main channel passing near Portmeirion has become distinctly dangerous due to the depth of water at low tide and vertical sandbanks which can collapse suddenly.

The tides on the Traeth Bach have always needed treating with respect, and quite a few unwary visitors have required to be rescued from the sands. This video of a helicopter rescue was taken before the main channel changed its course.

I have a Geography degree and studied hydrology up to the end of my second year and whilst I'd won't claim to be an expert I'm not in the least surprised that there's been problems knowing how volatile the underlying sandy ground can be and that water channels are effected by the slightest things. When the original bridge was built it would have had an effect on the flow of the estuary but as it had nothing but sheep and grass to effect no one noticed much. I'm sure everyone is on backside covering mode at NR, Gwynedd, the contractors etc but without doubt the chances of the new bridge effecting the current are very high despite what will be denied.

Status
Not open for further replies.