• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pont Briwet to be closed to trains until 2015 [Update - now reopened as of Sept 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

davetheguard

Established Member
Does anyone know how much the new Llandecwyn Halt cost please?

I don't know the cost, but I'm assuming that the rebuild was required because of damage by the Winter storms? The station is leased by Arriva Trains Wales, so Network Rail, as landlord, will have a responsibility to repair the damage for their "tenant".

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
The track had to be realigned to build the new rail bridge to the west of the old one and also to make room for the wider road.

deltic08

On Moderation
I don't know the cost, but I'm assuming that the rebuild was required because of damage by the Winter storms? The station is leased by Arriva Trains Wales, so Network Rail, as landlord, will have a responsibility to repair the damage for their "tenant".

I think it was more than a repair. The track was slewed seaward onto a new alignment so a completely new station was built. For future reference I was just wondering how much this Halt cost.

Unixman

I think it was more than a repair. The track was slewed seaward onto a new alignment so a completely new station was built. For future reference I was just wondering how much this Halt cost.

May I ask a simple question? Why bother? If they had taken the opportunity to close it would anybody actually have noticed?

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
More than you might think. At this time of the year, quite a lot of walkers/hikers etc and and some locals who have a long road detour. (And lots of photographers :D)

From the link above North Wales newsboard http://nwrail.org.uk/nwnews.htm

Llandecwyn sees about 2000 passengers in a normal year, according to official figures...

Last edited:

Unixman

More than you might think. At this time of the year, quite a lot of walkers/hikers etc and and some locals who have a long road detour. (And lots of photographers :D)

Well just checked ... on average in 2013 there were less than 3 people a day who used it ! ( 998 entries and exits ....)

Llandecwyn 1,906 (2010-2011 entries and exits) 1,418 (2012-2013) 998 (2012-2013)

Last edited:

Rhydgaled

Established Member

From the link above North Wales newsboard http://nwrail.org.uk/nwnews.htm
Well just checked ... on average in 2013 there were less than 3 people a day who used it ! ( 998 entries and exits ....)

Llandecwyn 1,906 (2010-2011 entries and exits) 1,418 (2012-2013) 998 (2012-2013)
Going down then... And the photographers will probably be fewer in number once the old timer Pont Briwet is no more and all there is to look at would be the much less photogenic new concrete(?) structure.

Unixman

Going down then... And the photographers will probably be fewer in number once the old timer Pont Briwet is no more and all there is to look at would be the much less photogenic new concrete(?) structure.

Given that Penrhyndeudraeth is about 1km away (as the crow flies), it does seem to me to be a missed opportunity to save a bit of dosh!

Welshman

Established Member
Given that Penrhyndeudraeth is about 1km away (as the crow flies), it does seem to me to be a missed opportunity to save a bit of dosh!

Which is fine for the crows, but a 2hr 45min walk along the A496 & A487 roads for those of us unable to fly. :D

deltic08

On Moderation
May I ask a simple question? Why bother? If they had taken the opportunity to close it would anybody actually have noticed?

What the Welsh Government chooses to do is nothing to do with me. I just wanted to know what the current cost of a basic 4-coach station is.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
It was a one coach halt before - have they extended it?
Seems unlikely.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llande...le:LlandecwynStation(DavidMetcalf)Sep2005.jpg

EDIT: I posted the link above to an image on wikipedia because it shows the old platform clearly. However, on reading the associated article, it states that "The station was completely reconstructed during summer 2014, as part of the scheme of works to replace nearby Pont Briwet and now consists of a small glass shelter and a short concrete platform capable of accommodating two carriages" citing a panoramic photo on twitter as the source.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pont_Briwet *Link corrected - sorry.

Last edited:

deltic08

On Moderation
Seems unlikely.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llande...le:LlandecwynStation(DavidMetcalf)Sep2005.jpg

EDIT: I posted the link above to an image on wikipedia because it shows the old platform clearly. However, on reading the associated article, it states that "The station was completely reconstructed during summer 2014, as part of the scheme of works to replace nearby Pont Briwet and now consists of a small glass shelter and a short concrete platform capable of accommodating two carriages" citing a panoramic photo on twitter as the source.

My request still stands but for a two-coach platform now.

snowball

Established Member
Seems unlikely.

You've got the same link twice there.

The Wikipedia page on Pont Briwet has been saying for a while now that the old bridge has been demolished. Not true yet as far as I know.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Yes, that's Wikipedia for you - I don't normally use it. The old bridge is still there and can be seen in BBC Wales report that the-gog has so helpfully put on YouTube now.

I corrected the Wikipedia link - sorry about that.

0B00

Bridge closed today for about an hour after a UXB was discovered in the area.

2G45 11:37 from Pwllheli was replaced by 2 coaches that ran to Machynlleth.

Normal Working resumed in time for the next trains to run.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
Bridge closed today for about an hour after a UXB was discovered in the area.

2G45 11:37 from Pwllheli was replaced by 2 coaches that ran to Machynlleth.

Normal Working resumed in time for the next trains to run.

heres the story about it from the Daily Post http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/bomb-casing-discovery-stops-trains-7721755

The first passenger trains runs over the new Pont Briwet rail bridge.
Trains on a newly-opened railway in Gwynedd were stopped after a suspected historic bomb casing was found near the line.

Police were alerted just before 11am after contractors carrying out work on the new Pont Briwet bridge in Penrhyndeudraeth found the object.

Trains were immediately stopped as a precaution and Arriva Trains Wales laid on buses to ferry passengers.

A Gwynedd council spokesperson said: “Contractors working on Pont Briwet uncovered a suspected historic bomb casing while carrying out work on the bridge.

“It was examined by North Wales and British Transport police who confirmed that it posed no danger. Work carried on as normal at the site.”

North Wales Police called in a bomb disposal team from Chester.

A spokeswoman said: “Officers attended and a cordon was put in place as a measure of precaution.”

Arriva Trains laid on replacement buses between Harlech and Pwllheli while safety checks were made.

Trains and passengers were disrupted until the all clear was given at 12.11pm.

An Arriva Wales spokeswoman said: “Train services were temporarily suspended between Harlech and Porthmadog. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.”

British Transport Police and Network Rail were also informed.

A Network Rail spokesman said: “It was a police incident that was off the railway – but we were advised to close the line for safety reasons.”

Penrhyndeudraeth Cllr Gareth Thomas said: “Workmen found a piece of metal casing near where the former Cooke’s explosives factory used to be.”

Passenger trains only re-started travelling across the new multi-million pount rail bridge — Pont Briwet — for the first time on Monday, after being shut for 10 months.

Last edited:

davetheguard

Established Member
Then gently amble back to Talsarnau and get the train from there .... 2Km ....

Unixman,

You seem very keen to close this station.

Personally, I don't see why rail users should be inconvenienced and have to walk 2 Km in the wrong direction just because a road is being widened for the benefit of motorists.

Last edited:

deltic08

On Moderation
Unixman,

You seem very keen to close this station.

Personally, I don't see why rail users should be inconvenienced and have to walk 2 Km in the wrong direction just because a road is being widened for the benefit of motorists.

Well said.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
I was simply wondering how much it has cost to rebuild a station that has less than a thousand entrances and exits a year and whether the money could have been spent better elsewhere.

The money could have been spent differently, whether it would have been better spent is a different question - security for a NATO summit, how much did that cost and the diversion of police and council resources from their normal tasks etc.

Hopefully the costs would be lower than the usual Network Rail production because the line itself was closed at the time so could be considered a standard building site rather than work close to 'live' track. Then again, perhaps a lookout has been employed for the past nine months, at each end, complete with a set of flags and track detonators.

A like for like replacement is typical of modern Britain. Thoughtless replication of what existed previously because it's the easiest course of action. Changing anything costs money, takes time and effort, attracts objections. Far easier to just carry on as normal. Not rebuilding the station would have required thinking about it in advance so the closure could take place at the time the track was moved. Or you could do an Etruria and simply not put any trains back on.

Last edited:

berneyarms

Established Member
It would probably cost as much in terms of time and effort to go through the entire closure procedure to make damn all difference to be honest.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I've just fixed a lot of broken quotes which were causing posts to be mis-attributed and could have caused confusion. The cause of this was one person missing a ] from the end of their QUOTE tags. Can I please ask that people are careful when quoting to make sure that quote works properly once they make their post.

The easiest way of using quotes is to use the Quote button found at the bottom of every post. Just ensure that you do not alter anything in the QUOTE tags. If anyone is still unsure please feel free to contact a member of the staff team for help. We don't bite honest :)

Parallel

Established Member
I don't really see the issue with the Llandecwyn rebuilding. I mean, it might not the the best use of money in the world, however as others have said, trying to close the station would have probably cost a fair bit of money anyway.

Also, although a lot of the smaller stations on the Cambrian Coast do not have high passenger numbers, they all contribute to the trickle of passengers using the line which is something to be encouraged IMO.

Also worth noting that Llandecwyn's (and most other stations') entries and exits will look worse this year due to the bridge and the weather disruption and repair work!

Andyjs247

I would imagine Llandecwyn station to be relatively busy now at least until the road opens as it saves quite a detour to get to Penrhyndeudraeth. In the total scheme of things the station is fairly basic and probably didn't cost that much. How much was spent on Workington North to save a lengthy detour when the road bridge was washed away by floods not so long ago? At least Llandecwyn will be a permanent fixture.

snowball

Established Member
I'm not sure if the continuing story of the bridge's construction is relevant on a rail forum now it's open to trains, but anyway, there are three new pictures on the Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/datblygiadpontbriwetdevelopment

They show that not only has demolition of the old bridge not yet started, but there are still no pipes on the new bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.