• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Port of Liverpool, Royal Seaforth Dock Railhead Expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wavertreelad

The planning application for the Seaforth Railhead extension application No DC/2023/01392 from 07 Aug 2023. The first link is the plan of the site whilst the second link is the full application.

Boundary (sefton.gov.uk)

DC/2023/01392 | Certificate of lawfulness for the proposed improvements to existing rail links and access roads at Seaforth Dock | Seaforth Dock - Liverpool (sefton.gov.uk)

Interesting to note the site covers the entrance to P&O Ferries berth which might suggest in part why the berth will be unavailable from the New Year. It also will mean the weighbridge for service which is located next the to existing level crossing will disappear and I suspect the perimeter road will be closed or heavily affected by the works. Traffic to and from the grain terminal will likely have to use the Strand Road gate during closures.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

childwallblues

Established Member
So am I correct that the proposal is to extend the area were container trains can be loaded from 400 metres to 750 metres or is there much more to it than that?

Wavertreelad

So am I correct that the proposal is to extend the area were container trains can be loaded from 400 metres to 750 metres or is there much more to it than that?
The new railhead has got to accommodate 775 metre length trains as currently most liner trains have to be split and take up two roads of the present terminal. Once unload / loaded, they then put back together again before final departure which takes up a bit of time and longer road closure at the current entrance. The present layout restricts the amount of trains that could use the terminal so the new layout will over come these issues and provide much needed additional capacity in the future allowing Liverpool2 to handle more and larger ships.
It should be noted that the worlds two largest shipping lines, MSC and Maersk intend to end their current global joint service agreement by the end of next year and have already started to separate some services. It's thought Maersk will continue to feeder cargo to/from Rotterdam to Liverpool, but MSC which owns 50% of the Liverpool2 Terminal through a subsidiary is thought likely to increase it's presence in the port and without the use of more rail capacity would be impossible for the port and the local road haulage industry to cope with on a sustained basis.

MattyJames

Were there not similar plans for Ditton O'connor terminal expansion? I remember reading the plans for the expansion of the sidings.

8A Rail

Established Member
This document is unavailable for viewing at this time.
14.12 Thurs
I have just clicked on the link and it was fine (14:30hrs)

Were there not similar plans for Ditton O'connor terminal expansion? I remember reading the plans for the expansion of the sidings.

Not aware of any proposals to expand the sidings at Ditton Stobart (#), but I was aware of of laying two long sidings for container trains between the mainline and Alstom but gone very quiet on that one.

(# I am aware it comes up as Ditton O'Connor (in rail terms) but that was the previous company before purchase by Stobart which is now I think is Logistics Development Group Plc).

Last edited:

Wavertreelad

Sounds good news for Liverpool Port then.
Potentially, yes. and for the wider North of England economy if MSC can deliver the vessel calls and the port can maintain the levels of service.
Both Maersk and MSC maintain their own seperate offices in Liverpool.
The Maersk office is the Head Office in the UK. They have other offices in UK but these are not customer facing, and are back office, Birmingham does transport and they have a computer centre in the Reading area, and possibly small operational offices in Felixstowe and Southampton. The MSC office is a sub office, the main office comprises three or four building just off the A14 at Ipswich. MSC is also investing in it own road haulage transport fleet and depot in Liverpool, which I believe is being constructed at Hornby Dock Liverpool. This could be in the name of ANGLIA CONTAINER SERVICES LIMITED which is a wholly own MSC subsidiary and I think they have a small operation at Garston at the moment to handle container repairs etc.

Company number 04053856
I have just clicked on the link and it was fine (14:30hrs)

Not aware of any proposals to expand the sidings at Ditton Stobart (#), but I was aware of of laying two long sidings for container trains between the mainline and Alstom but gone very quiet on that one.

(# I am aware it comes up as Ditton O'Connor (in rail terms) but that was the previous company before purchase by Stobart which is now I think is Logistics Development Group Plc).
I think the Ditton site is primarily for Maersk as Stobart is their main haulier in the North West although the trains carry third party business including MSC and Freighliner traffic.

The expanded Seaforth terminal could also benefit from Maritime Transport Ltd operations as they too are expanding their Liverpool depot at Hornby Dock, completion time I understand is early next year. MSC's depot is I think behind this.

8A Rail

Established Member
Potentially, yes. and for the wider North of England economy if MSC can deliver the vessel calls and the port can maintain the levels of service.

The Maersk office is the Head Office in the UK. They have other offices in UK but these are not customer facing, and are back office, Birmingham does transport and they have a computer centre in the Reading area, and possibly small operational offices in Felixstowe and Southampton. The MSC office is a sub office, the main office comprises three or four building just off the A14 at Ipswich. MSC is also investing in it own road haulage transport fleet and depot in Liverpool, which I believe is being constructed at Hornby Dock Liverpool. This could be in the name of ANGLIA CONTAINER SERVICES LIMITED which is a wholly own MSC subsidiary and I think they have a small operation at Garston at the moment to handle container repairs etc.

Company number 04053856

I think the Ditton site is primarily for Maersk as Stobart is their main haulier in the North West although the trains carry third party business including MSC and Freighliner traffic.

The expanded Seaforth terminal could also benefit from Maritime Transport Ltd operations as they too are expanding their Liverpool depot at Hornby Dock, completion time I understand is early next year. MSC's depot is I think behind this.
As you are already I know about what is highlighted in bold. Cheers.

Ah yes i understand it has changed to Stobart.

For anyone interested in the plans, they are here (Dated 2011):
That has been overtaken with the building of the Alstom rail facility that was built in 2017. Remainder of the site to the south of the Alstom facility is for large warehousing, see: https://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/marshall-plots-545000-sq-ft-widnes-shed/. work is currently being carried out in preparation for this new build which won't be rail connected as far as it can be established.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.