• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Porterbrook Cl.769 'Flex' trains from 319s, initially for Northern

I see 08436 is coupled to a 319 on Reading Depot today. Does anyone know the identity of the 319 which I guess at some point will be a 769 for GWR. Thank You.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Liverpool 507

Either Southport to Blackburn or Southport to Leeds services are getting swapped with the Wigan North Western to Alderley Edge service by December next year so 769’s will be a regular sight on the Southport to Wigan line

geoffk

Established Member
Either Southport to Blackburn or Southport to Leeds services are getting swapped with the Wigan North Western to Alderley Edge service by December next year so 769’s will be a regular sight on the Southport to Wigan line
But Wigan NW - Alderley Edge (the current route) will be all electric. It's linked operationally to the WNW - Stalybridge service, which is also due to be all electric, requiring six units. Isn't that the point of electrifying to Wigan NW? I was told electrifying under Wallgate bridge is not possible. In the meantime the 769s are due to be used on these services. I thought the complaint from Southport was withdrawal of services to the airport.

Mathew S

Established Member
Thhe franchise agreement states (in TSR3): "Twelve services departing from Southport to Manchester shall also call at Hebden Bridge."
So, even if they can achieve this with rejigging rolling stock (I'm sceptical), it would presumably be the Blackburns which swap.

Chester1

Established Member
But Wigan NW - Alderley Edge (the current route) will be all electric. It's linked operationally to the WNW - Stalybridge service, which is also due to be all electric, requiring six units. Isn't that the point of electrifying to Wigan NW? I was told electrifying under Wallgate bridge is not possible. In the meantime the 769s are due to be used on these services. I thought the complaint from Southport was withdrawal of services to the airport.

I would take any news or rumours about 769s with a pinch of salt. Wigan-Alderley Edge to replace the existing DMUs makes sense but so does a Piccadilly-Alderley Edge EMU service and temporarily using 769s on mostly unelectrified lines.

Geeves

Established Member
Also in regards to Geoff's post there are no wires between Lostock Junction and Wigan Station Junction bar a short overrun at the Bolton end nor any to Stalybridge, so no chance of any 319s on the Alderley Edge Wigan NW services any time soon.

geoffk

Established Member
Also in regards to Geoff's post there are no wires between Lostock Junction and Wigan Station Junction bar a short overrun at the Bolton end nor any to Stalybridge, so no chance of any 319s on the Alderley Edge Wigan NW services any time soon.
I was on the line yesterday and had the impression that the overrun at Lostock is longer than normal, i.e. than the one on the Atherton line at Salford Crescent, so I assumed work would be going ahead "in due course".

Jonny

Established Member
I would take any news or rumours about 769s with a pinch of salt. Wigan-Alderley Edge to replace the existing DMUs makes sense but so does a Piccadilly-Alderley Edge EMU service and temporarily using 769s on mostly unelectrified lines.

It depends on the fuel tanks capacity and the availability of refill facilities.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I was on the line yesterday and had the impression that the overrun at Lostock is longer than normal, i.e. than the one on the Atherton line at Salford Crescent, so I assumed work would be going ahead "in due course".

I don't think you can assume that. The money has run out.
The work is "suspended", and there is no agreed funding to proceed.
There is also a bi-mode solution for the time being.
Stalybridge has a better likelihood of proceeding, if the wider TP upgrade is approved.
I should think it also depends on what priorities TfN has for the next scheme.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Daisy Hill station car park is closed for 10 weeks from Jan 9th for platform lengthening, assume some form of longer stock in mind as it seems quite late to suddenly do it now as it would have been after the originally planned fleet introduction.

Kite159

Veteran Member
One has finally escaped onto the mainline?

Ready for real world testing rather than slow speed pottering up and down a heritage line?

big all

On Moderation
75mph on a heritage line, not exactly pottering...
i assume thats under a pivate use with dispensation on a preserved line thats covered under a light railway order
or is the track up to main line standards and main line regulations ??

Last edited:

Bertie the bus

Established Member

AndyW33

i assume thats under a pivate use with dispensation on a preserved line thats covered under a light railway order
or is the track up to main line standards and main line regulations ??
The GCR is double track and signalled to mainline standards (albeit semaphore). It has authority to run test trains at up to 75mph as long as no other trains are running and foot crossings are closed (there are only two of these, used for access between car parks and platforms, so can be padlocked if no passenger service).

AMD

Daisy Hill station car park is closed for 10 weeks from Jan 9th for platform lengthening, assume some form of longer stock in mind as it seems quite late to suddenly do it now as it would have been after the originally planned fleet introduction.
These platform extensions are to do with the Class 195 fleet and not the 769 fleet - a 769 is 80m long and the platforms currently hold 2x 156 which is 96m (The plan is to do with 2x195 which will be 100m)

Mogster

These platform extensions are to do with the Class 195 fleet and not the 769 fleet - a 769 is 80m long and the platforms currently hold 2x 156 which is 96m (The plan is to do with 2x195 which will be 100m)

The chances of boarding a 195 at Daisy Hill would seem quite limited :lol:

The Southport and Atherton lines do seem to inherit the worst stock Northern has to offer...