• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Portsmouth to Liverpool - how can I avoid London?

Status
Not open for further replies.

_toommm_

Established Member
Dear all
Thanks for all the advice.
One of my chums in the Midlands says that New Street's long history of short-notice platform changes – which dates back at least to the 1970s-80s when I used it every day – is now consigned to, er, the history books. He's not a rail insider, just a frequent traveller through BHM, and says:

I’ve had a few recently that haven’t been announced officially - they’ve just been shouted by the dispatcher, along with a garbled tannoy that I could not understand.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Willie Bee

We're both seniors but don't have senior railcards.
Still probably worth getting a Two Together card .. you just need one

At only £30 for a year, it could well provide a saving of more than the £30 cost.

My wife and I got one last year and saved much more than the £20 we paid for the card (in a sale) on a return trip to London in November, will be going to Edinburgh in a few weeks and Glasgow in a few months. We just wish we had heard about railcards earlier.

Just did a quick search .. seems the early train shown here is not as cheap as a later one .. consider the 11:08 train ..
1676209928161.png
1676209962367.png

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I’ve had a few recently that haven’t been announced officially - they’ve just been shouted by the dispatcher, along with a garbled tannoy that I could not understand.

You also can't hear them if the pulsejet fans have to spin up in the event of a filthy, stinking Voyager having been sat down there for too long. Bonus points if (as I've seen it do) it results in people missing last trains.

Birmingham

Dear all
Thanks for all the advice.
One of my chums in the Midlands says that New Street's long history of short-notice platform changes – which dates back at least to the 1970s-80s when I used it every day – is now consigned to, er, the history books. He's not a rail insider, just a frequent traveller through BHM, and says:
I would say in the 5-10 minutes I'm walking through New Street off my arrival to get a coffee and exit the station, I hear a platform alteration announcement at least half the time. :D

The platform alterations at New Street do at least tend to be to the adjacent platform, in my recent experience, eg from 5b to 4b.

Status
Not open for further replies.