• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Portsmouth to London via Southampton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sil

Is a Portsmouth to London (Waterloo) ticket valid via Southampton Central? It could be either an advance or a one day travelcard. I need to go to Southampton on Sat 20th May at 08-30, then from Southampton Central to London about Midday, then finally back to Fratton about 23-30. I just need to know if one return will cover it, or if I'll have to buy individual tickets. Thanks. I suppose I could buy a return from Southampton central to Airport Parkway to cover a gap if needed.

Sorry if this has already been answered, but I searched and didn't find anything.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Benjwri

Established Member
Unfortunately a a ticket from Portsmouth is not valid via Southampton, the closest you can get is Eastleigh, via mapped route SW, however unfortunately the double back into Southampton is not allowed.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
No - although a Southampton to London ticket is valid via Portsmouth. Unfortunately that isn't much use for you, seeing as you would be using its validity in the wrong order (which is not permitted) to do the journeys you reference.

A Portsmouth to London ticket would cover you as far as Fareham or Eastleigh in the direction towards Southampton.

Last edited:

Sultan

Whilst you could get a return to Waterloo via Eastleigh, and then a return from Eastleigh to Southampton, I'm not sure if by having 2 tickets from Southampton to Waterloo (broken at Eastleigh) you can catch the fast train that doesn't stop at Eastleigh. You may have to catch the slow, which does.

Benjwri

Established Member
I'm not sure if by having 2 tickets from Southampton to Waterloo (broken at Eastleigh) you can catch the fast train that doesn't stop at Eastleigh. You may have to catch the slow, which does.
You wouldn't be able to, no. With split ticketing on point to point tickets the train must stop at the split point.

Sil

Thanks for your replies. I have a network card. How about I get a single from Fratton to Southampton Central. For the London bit I get an SWR one day travelcard from Southampton central? I want to get the 23-45 from Waterloo to Fratton. Would the travelcard be valid for that last leg?

I think you might get around this by getting a Swanwick to London Waterloo ticket, which is valid via Southampton or Fratton, and then a single Portsmouth to Swanwick. You would have to get the stopper from Portsmouth to Southampton not the Great Western, as this does not stop at Swanwick. Presumably journey planner would confirm this.

Status
Not open for further replies.