• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Portsmouth to Smallbrook Junction

mbh

Trying to work a journey to Isle of Wight railway.

Would prefer to go From Portsmouth Harbour , note all the day return tickets are either Cat or Hovercraft. With a day return ticket any way of using hovercraft one way and cat the other?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ajs

Think the only way is to get a single ticket on the cat and then a single ticket on the hovercraft,

Do you have any railcards/ blue badge / are over 60? Which may have a bearing on the ticket price.

ajs

Should add that Smallbrook Junction is only open when IOW Steam Railway is open.

Am having a few issues on internet at moment. Is this trip going to be a day trip or spread over a few days?

Last edited:

Gloster

Established Member
Although I never use the hovercraft, I believe that it is correct that on a return journey both legs must be via the same method of crossing the Solent. Be aware that the second train (Esplanade-Shanklin) will not restart operating until 23 May and possibly not then.

mbh

It’s a day trip.

Looking at it again , think the best time options is go from Portsmouth and Southsea and use the hovercraft both ways , I’m not to tied down times.

trip is planing for 6th July , just found I can still park at park and ride and get off in the town centre.

thanks for help