• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Possible disruption 19th September?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
4 am special from Plymouth been at Bedwyn for last 2 and half hours. 3am special from Penzance went via Chippenham so ”only” 80 mins late and terminating at Reading it appears. You’d be absolutely gutted if you on them

Looks like power is completely off. 0627 from Paddington to Reading had only literally gone a few yards! Looks like trains will be evacuated that are close to Paddington
Multiple stranded trains, several evacuated already, a set in station is going as 1Z99 to evacuate the train immediately outside of station.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation
You can see why the Royal train has had no use over the last 12 days. King George VI's coffin was transported from London to Windsor by train from Paddington on the day of his funeral. It's a very good thing that this wasn't the plan for today.

Tangent

If the Queen's service had taken place in St George's Chapel, as with most recent monarch's, this would have been much, much worse, potentially.

PeteFLT

Looks like GWR have managed to lay a 2x2 car 16x on to the Windsor Branch. Will be a shame if there’s nothing at Slough for it to connect

Established Member
A diesel operated shuttle is being introduced Reading to Slough.

fandroid

Established Member
Waterloo - Windsor line was already going to be busy. With the Paddington-Slough route out of action it will have to take extra numbers. I'm hoping that trains out of Paddington tomorrow morning won't be taking massive spillovers from today as I have an urgent trip booked.

The BBC reports that a person was hit by a train between Reading and Newbury. That probably explains the earlier delays to trains from Plymouth and the south west.

Last edited:

philosopher

Established Member
Waterloo - Windsor line was already going to be busy. With the Paddington-Slough route out of action it will have to take extra numbers. I'm hoping that trains out of Paddington tomorrow morning won't be taking massive spillovers from today as I have an urgent trip booked.
The Great Western Mainline within Greater London does seem just about the worst place a major incident could occur today given the numbers who will be travelling to Windsor today.

embers25

Established Member
Given all IEP can run on diesel I dont get why nothing can run once the wires are isolated and cleared from the track, if needed.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Given all IEP can run on diesel I dont get why nothing can run once the wires are isolated and cleared from the track, if needed.

Efforts are currently being made to start a diesel shuttle Reading-Slough. If you consider there will be multiple electric-only services (387s, 345s etc) mixed in amongst the stopped trains, its not as simple as everything just switching to diesel and setting off again.

dk1

Veteran Member
As long as they go through to London then yes, it wouldn’t be wise for those intending passengers to go to Slough with the hope of non existent onward travel.

class ep-09

Efforts are currently being made to start a diesel shuttle Reading-Slough. If you consider there will be multiple electric-only services (387s, 345s etc) mixed in amongst the stopped trains, its not as simple as everything just switching to diesel and setting off again.
It’d make sense to use trains coming from North Cots as as the shuttle as they are booked to call at Slough anyway.

Any pure electric trains west of Maidenhead can under the “juice” to get out of the way as that section has not been isolated .

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Not connected in any way of course, but 25 years ago today, the GWML east of Slough was completely blocked under very different circumstances. There must be a hex on this date.

ANDREW_D_WEBB

And people were wondering why the Royal Train wasn't used...
There could just as easily have been a major RTC on the A4 or A30 which blocked the route the hearse will take later. If the Royal Train had been part of the plan I am sure there would have been a contingency exactly for this type of occurrence (plus a very close inspection of the wiring in the run up).

It is a shame that potentially many people will have missed out on being part of this historic event because of this.

Taplowgreen

Perhaps had the "very close inspection of the wiring in the runup" taken place, we would not be in the situation we are today.

Parkway

Apologies for the ignorant question, but as Hayes and Harlington is 4-track, why is it necessary for all four tracks to be effectively out of action for such a long time? Is this a safety issue (to protect those repairing the damage), or something inherent in the mast design in this area?

Established Member
Apologies for the ignorant question, but as Hayes and Harlington is 4-track, why is it necessary for all four tracks to be effectively out of action for such a long time? Is this a safety issue (to protect those repairing the damage), or something inherent in the mast design in this area?
The overhead wires in that area are on a head span, so wires for all 4 lines are hung together.
Depending on damage it may affect all 4 lines.
Priority for NWR is still to move stranded trains.

Hophead

Established Member
The BBC report states Network Rail sources as saying that "two miles (3.2 km) of electrical lines had been damaged around Hayes and Harlington station."

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Although the TOCs all seem to be doing everything they can to suitably handle the extra footfall, the passenger count is going to be huge and with limited resources available, there will be problems somewhere. If it was at all possible, I'd reschedule my trip.
A prophetic post if ever there was!

GordonT

Further bad news. "Due to a police request between Windsor & Eton Riverside and Datchet all lines are blocked."

Established Member
Further bad news. "Due to a police request between Windsor & Eton Riverside and Datchet all lines are blocked.
Most likely as that will the route the Queens hearse will drive, on the way to the Long Walk at Windsor.

Update, Datchet level crossing is closed as part of Operation London Bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.