• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Possible disruption 19th September?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sloaneesq

So the lines weren't closed at the request of the security services as all lines pass under the Westway and the route of the funeral procession to Windsor?

Edit: I got my geography wrong. The cars went A4 / Hammersmith Flyover, not A40 / Westway. Not near GWML.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Forgot HEx use mainline too...rather major oversight!

There’s no pure diesel stock on the route (with the exception of the 0541 to Greenford). On major issue is electric services still stranded on the line that need clearing, no way endeavour.

Internal source does not show it passing past Southall. RTT only shows eta of 6 late at Pad.

No even RTT has a last report at Hayes. Everything else is estimated.

embers25

Established Member
Traksy is still showing the 0534 stuck past Hayes. Hopefully they have evacuated by now! Also, all IEP on this route can and fine run on diesel so were a line to be cleared they could run through. I see the furs cross rail from West Drayton is nearing Reading and GWR managed a train to slough

JN114

Established Member
There was a separate thread to segregate out specific arising disruption but that has been silently locked so I guess here is the place:-

RE the Hayes disruption.

All trains were safely evacuated within a couple hours being stranded; it was evident very quickly that it was not going to be possible to restore traction power so efforts were the focussed on getting staff to trains to facilitate controlled evacuations of stranded trains - 6 in total (1 HEx, 3x GWR, 2x EL).

OLE damage affects all 4 lines. Down Main and Up Relief are in the process of being cleared of debris so that diesel traction can operate; but even when that is achieved there are 2x Crossrail units (Ex 9P23 and 9P25) blocking the dead section of the Up Relief which will need rescuing by locomotive. There is a loco on hand to achieve this at Paddington. There's also a Heathrow Express straddling the Down Main/Down Airport at Airport Junction; again without power due to isolated OLE sections.

The damage to OLE is however severe, so I would guesstimate no electric services in the affected sections for the remainder of the day; and a limited service likely tomorrow as it will need to be off for repairs to be afffected.

RE the Datchet disruption.

It had been planned, albeit not publicised (possibly intentionally) to close the railway at Datchet Level Crossings for a relatively short period of time to allow the procession from London to Windsor Castle to cross the railway at Datchet. The procession ran late; but BTP still took the closure of the railway on time. As such the line ended up closed rather longer than anticipated, with a ~40 minute pause in services between Staines and Windsor. This was then compounded as the train at the head of the queue at Staines couldn't be moved out the way as the crew only signed towards Windsor, not Egham so the train couldn't be diverted elsewhere to let the Readings stacking up behind through.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Why is it taking so long?
Should have been fixed by now? It's been a good few hours, all that needs doing is a new wire being strung up. That surely doesn't take 10 hours

RacingGreen

Should have been fixed by now? It's been a good few hours, all that needs doing is a new wire being strung up. That surely doesn't take 10 hours
How long should it take? Have you ever replaced OHLE? I think it's a little more complex than just "stringing up" some new wire.

Darandio

Established Member

At least two miles of cable damage. Trains stuck within said damaged area that require rescue. All masts and arms need checking for further damage, the latter might require replacement. Other associated lineside equipment needs checking in the areas wire has come down around it.

Yeah, easy.

IainG81

Currently at West Drayton there's a service westbound only towards Reading, trains are terminating at West Drayton, there's a stationary train in Platform 2 that's not in service.

rebmcr

Established Member
I would be unsurprised if full service was not restored for several days.

Established Member
2 lines opening for diesel only, once the last 2 stricken trains are moved.

Damage is across all 4 lines of the Overhead cables, (have heard over 2 miles, not verified).

JN114

Established Member
Wires down/damaged over 4 lines, over a distance of 2 miles. That's not the work of a couple of hours.

cactustwirly

Established Member
I would be unsurprised if full service was not restored for several days.

Well clearly something has gone badly wrong today. The railway isn't fit for purpose if a major line out of London suffers this amount of disruption.

I thought the OLE was all upgraded in this section, clearly it was a waste of money.

This isn't the first time this has happened, either.

dciuk

Well clearly something has gone badly wrong today. The railway isn't fit for purpose if a major line out of London suffers this amount of disruption.

I thought the OLE was all upgraded in this section, clearly it was a waste of money.

According to a previous post this was not part of the new electrification

Essexman

Established Member
The Night Riviera sleeper is cancelled tonight in both directions despite being diesel.
Could that be because they want all four line closed to work on overnight - but in that case it could have started and terminated at Reading. Or do they need the loco to assist elsewhere?
Hope the sleeper is running tomorrow as I'm booked to Penzance.

Ediswan

Established Member
It had been planned, albeit not publicised (possibly intentionally) to close the railway at Datchet Level Crossings for a relatively short period of time to allow the procession from London to Windsor Castle to cross the railway at Datchet.
The procession approached Windsor via Runnymede and Old Windsor, not via Datchet. Not saying the closure was not part of the grand plan though. Maybe the cars which had to beat the procession from Westminster to Windsor went that way.

cactustwirly

Established Member
The Night Riviera sleeper is cancelled tonight in both directions despite being diesel.
Could that be because they want all four line closed to work on overnight - but in that case it could have started and terminated at Reading. Or do they need the loco to assist elsewhere?

The sleeper stock is based at Reading so no reason why it can't be started at Reading tonight

62484GlenLyon

The ecs of last night's Penzance to Paddington sleeper, 1A50, is still in Paddington. Also, if I have understood OTT correctly, the inward loco of 1A50 is now 0Z99.

AlexNL

Established Member

The new bits start at West Drayton. Between Paddington and Airport Jn it's mostly a 1990s BR design of electrification, similar to what's around on the East Coast Main Line (headspans, wires holding up the juice wires). Which is equally prone to the type of failure where damage to one track can lead to the wires coming down across all four.

Paddington - Airport Jn has seen reinforcements during GWEP, but as far as my knowledge goes has mainly addressed the most riskful locations and not a complete re-electrification.

On a day of sombreness you have made my day.

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
There appears to be a 1Z99 currently passing Southall heading for Paddington, maybe that is a loco to rescue the last 345? Potentially a 37 or 57?

skyhigh

Established Member
Nice to see that you've made a site visit, ascertained the level of damage, surveyed the technical requirements and come up with a repair plan. Maybe you should share it with the OHLE and control teams to give them a hand, seeing as they're missing your expertise?

sk688

had to travel to Bath from Milton Keynes for something ,and had one hell of a journey trying to get there as a result. Ended up having to do Clapham-Reading-Swindon-Trowbridge-Bath , but got there eventually.

Full credit to GWR staff who were trying their hardest in whats obviously not an ideal situation.

Will most likely go back via Oxford , and try get to Aylesbury/High Wycombe in terms of getting back.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

Nope this is the old stretch of electrification previously in place for Heathrow services back in the 1990s, nothing like the bombproof stuff on the rest of the GWML.

And yes nothing like this has happened for many years. It’s just very very unfortunate timing.

Although please do tell us about the ease of replacing damaged 25kV wires over a couple of miles.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member

I'm trying to work out if you're being deliberately sarcastic or are really this ill informed!

Status
Not open for further replies.