• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Possible Effects from Hobbies on Railway CV's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Up_Tilt_390

I tried my best to make the title as short, simple and relevant to the topic I'm about to bring up, so if it confused you at first, do forgive me. But having said that, straight to the question. I understand in any job application that there is an Interest and Hobbies section, not just with railways, but because there are unique pressures on the railway alongside traditional job pressures that are in a different context working on the railway, I've been wondering lately whether certain hobbies will either aid an individual in their path to a certain career, or whether other hobbies will hurt their chances.

For example, some of my hobbies include trainspotting (who'd have thought), computers, video games, swimming, gym, and martial arts. I imagine they wouldn't reflect that badly on me as a person, but let's take one example in my case. Say I applied for a customer service role, anyone potentially employing me might think that I like to keep fit from my latter three hobbies, and that can somewhat reflect well on me because it shows that I'm not lazy. But on the other hand, would the fact that I now do martial arts potentially have an effect? One on hand it's good for discipline, but on the other hand I wouldn't blame the employers for worrying that I might just snap and use a lethal Kung Fu strike on an unruly customer if I have had a really bad day.

But it doesn't just have to be customer service roles either, what about roles such as driver or signaller? Maybe the fact I play video games could show that I'm able to develop concentration skills and also improve my hand-eye co-ordination along with reaction time, but I've heard that trainspotters aren't exactly attractive candidates for such jobs. I mean sure, it's not unreasonable given that some people might be stupid enough to try and catch the number of a passing train and miss a vital signal or sign, or even railway worker on the tracks. If you're inside the box, you might just be trying to watch trains go by and forget that you're the one who is suppose to be ensuring their safe movement as well.

Ultimately the idea up for discussion is whether certain hobbies on a CV for any railway job application can at all have an effect on someone's chances of getting selected for the career. I mean the hobby section is kind of to know what kind of person you are, since they don't really want to be employing a robot who just does the job and doesn't get along with coworkers (that latter case is just one of many reasons I've yet to be employed, because I really don't play well with others).

So all in all, is there any effect from certain hobbies on someone's CV, and if so what might these positive or negative effects be? If you feel any examples might help then by all means give them. No need to try and give me career advice though, don't worry, I really just thought this would be an interesting topic for discussion, since the quality of a CV can affect your chances of getting any employment in any job, let alone one on the railways.

Enjoy your discussions...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Halfway Boy

I think you’re overthinking it slightly.

I don’t think anyone has ever got a job over someone else on the railway because they put martial arts in the hobbies section.

The only time it could really make a difference is for allowing you to add things that could be relevant to a role you’re applying for but don’t fit elsewhere.

E.g. you’re applying for a management role, and in you’re spare time you’re also the president of a rugby club so have management experience through that, or you’re applying for a trainer role and in your spare time you’re an adult instructor for the army cadets, etc.

Or it could be something that fits in with the company ethos, such as Scotrail appear to be pushing their environmental and community credentials on their site, so you could stick something in there relevant to that.

Otherwise, it’s just a box to fill to show you’re a well rounded person that they probably won’t take too much notice of unless you put something in there that would make them not want to hire you cause it’s creepy/illegal.

TheEdge

Established Member
I wouldn't put trainspotter in there, it really doesn't sit well and can go against you in railway jobs. I sold it as "an interest in the operational aspects of the modern railway"! :lol:

Although honestly don't view that hobby box as somewhere to list everything you do for fun. Think of it more as a box titled "Anything else you think we'd like to know". Martial arts, do you have any (and because karate belts is the only ranking system I know) belts? Sell that as an ability to achieve something with personal effort. Things like that, don't say you play Overwatch, try and use it to sell things that might show off your abilities that you've not had the chance to say elsewhere.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Agree - use the hobby box as the "interesting fact" box. E.g. Did you know I'm a brown belt in Judo? Or, I spent last summer travelling around the railways of Scotland/wherever.

More memorable to the CV reviewer that way.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
...would the fact that I now do martial arts potentially have an effect? One on hand it's good for discipline, but on the other hand I wouldn't blame the employers for worrying that I might just snap and use a lethal Kung Fu strike on an unruly customer if I have had a really bad day...
I very much doubt that listing martial arts as a hobby is going to make anyone worried you will 'snap'. I would say it is a positive thing to add.

A good reference, a clean criminal record and coming across as a personable person at interview will be enough to assure them of your good character and listing martial arts as a hobby is not going to cause any concern in that respect. I think you got it right the first time: it's likely to be seen as good for discipline.
But it doesn't just have to be customer service roles either, what about roles such as driver or signaller? Maybe the fact I play video games could show that I'm able to develop concentration skills and also improve my hand-eye co-ordination along with reaction time...
I doubt that. In any case if they need to test reaction times, they will do. If you get good results that'll be all that matters.

I'm not sure I'd mention computer games at all if I were you; the more active hobbies are much more likely to be seen more positively.

The more active you are, the healthier you are likely to be, which could be seen as important, so swimming and gym would be good things to list (for me, it would be cycling and playing football).

but I've heard that trainspotters aren't exactly attractive candidates for such jobs. I mean sure, it's not unreasonable given that some people might be stupid enough to try and catch the number of a passing train and miss a vital signal or sign, or even railway worker on the tracks. If you're inside the box, you might just be trying to watch trains go by and forget that you're the one who is suppose to be ensuring their safe movement as well.
You might be over-thinking it, but for many jobs I really would not put advise listing trainspotting as a hobby. In contrast, if you volunteered at a preserved railway, that would be viewed more positively.

Do you have any other hobbies you could list? Such as walking (I know many people on this forum like to explore disused railway lines, for example), or photography?

Up_Tilt_390

So far what I’ve learned is that martial arts isn’t a bad thing to list on a CV, and that is also bad to list being a trainspotter on any application. Why though is that the case? Why is being a trainspotter so frowned upon in the railway industry?

red2005

Because when you’re supposed to be concentrating on platform work for example the last thing they want is someone whipping out their camera and notebook because a steam engine is sat on the platform opposite.

Also some train enthusiasts wouldn’t know what safety was if it smacked them in the face.

red2005

Martial arts is a great thing to use as long as you can put across that your interest is the discipline and fitness behind it and not a desire to wipe out the first chopsy passenger you come across lol

Up_Tilt_390

Also some train enthusiasts wouldn’t know what safety was if it smacked them in the face.

I think some staff at Northallerton along with some drivers would agree with you there...

Martial arts is a great thing to use as long as you can put across that your interest is the discipline and fitness behind it and not a desire to wipe out the first chopsy passenger you come across lol

Funnily enough, the Kung Fu classes I take can help me with all three aspects :lol:

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Because when you’re supposed to be concentrating on platform work for example the last thing they want is someone whipping out their camera and notebook because a steam engine is sat on the platform opposite.

It does however demonstrate enthusiasm and interest for the job. The rest of the CV (work experience etc.) demonstrates you can be trusted to get on with a job.

And no good employer should pidgeonhole a 'trainspotter' in that way. In the same way you would never do for gender, race, disability or anything else.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
So far what I’ve learned is that martial arts isn’t a bad thing to list on a CV, and that is also bad to list being a trainspotter on any application. Why though is that the case? Why is being a trainspotter so frowned upon in the railway industry?

You should use the hobbies section of an application form/CV to try to demonstrate you are a well rounded and interesting person. Therefore, things like watching TV, sniffing carpets, etc should be excluded.

As for trainspotting; rightly or wrongly trainspotters aren't considered interesting or well rounded either inside or outside of the rail industry so I really wouldn't suggest you include it on any application. Put travel or something instead.

red2005

It does however demonstrate enthusiasm and interest for the job. The rest of the CV (work experience etc.) demonstrates you can be trusted to get on with a job.

And no good employer should pidgeonhole a 'trainspotter' in that way. In the same way you would never do for gender, race, disability or anything else.

I think having an interest in trains/traction etc certainly doesn’t prove you have an interest in the job, it just proves you have an interest of what’s in front of you. There’s a big difference.

Proof of having an interest in the job only comes when you’re sat in the interviews for the job! They certainly aren’t “pigeonholed” by employers. You find it’s a lot of the spotters themselves that cost themselves the job as their fantastic enthusiasm is aimed more at enjoying their pastime instead of thinking of ways they can make it relevant to the role or questions asked in the interview itself.

It’s great to have a hobby and it’s great that people have a genuine interest in that sort of thing. Unfortunately for every spotter that’s got their head screwed on there’s at least 2 that would be down right dangerous.

I actually like the spotters I encounter and most of the time they’re bloody helpful people.

cin88

Like it or not the "stereotypical" spotters are often the one's that have the most interaction with staff and tend to leave a negative impression. Now i'm not saying every spotter is like that, as we all know they're not, but when you've had to move some spotter or other out of your way to get your job done, had the pleasure of being shouted at by one for being in the way of their oh so precious photo or had them acting in an outright dangerous manner on a platform/near the line, it tends to leave a lasting impression.

I personally declare that i'm a railway enthusiast (as i'm not a spotter), I describe it as taking an active interest in the operation of the railway and it's history. It must have worked because I got a railway job after two years of trying :D

whhistle

On Moderation
But from the company point of view, if you're interested in trains, they'll think you're more interested in the trains than the job.
Train companies DO "pidgeonhole" train spotters.
It's like employing someone who collects photos and signatures of famous people as a stage hand. You just wouldn't do it.
There's plenty of people who have no interest in railways, who work in the rail industry.

choochoochoo

Established Member
Also think some employers might feel that it would be difficult to train a 'spotter' who has never worked on the railway.

Lots of re-programming their way of thinking about rules and traction to a way the operator wants. Easier to start with a blank slate, or someone already trained in their methodologies.

class387

Established Member
Just wondering, would 'rail enthusiast' or 'interested in the railway' be better?

JonathanP

Of the people I know who like me, started volunteering at their nearest preserved railway as guards/footplate/signallers as soon as they were old enough to be legally allowed to, it seem like I am in the minority in *not* having got a job at a TOC, so I don't think being interested in railways is much of a barrier.

Personally, if asked about it in a professional context I would say that as a volunteer signalman I am "interested in the operational aspects of railway networks".

red2005

Which is the exact way to put it Jonathan. There are a number of people out there (not just spotters) who feel that just declaring their interest in all things railway or that they volunteer of a weekend that it’s just a case of turning up for an interview.

Toc’s love a hobby and you tend to find that most who end up with jobs are the ones that explained it like you did or at least show that some aspects within their hobbies are relevant/transferable!

axlecounter

I had once a trainspotter throwing stones at my loco because I moved it at the wrong time (so he thought), obstructing the view of an oncoming steam engine. Would that make a good impression on a CV? :lol:

What was I thinking, anyway? Moving a locomotive when expected to do so! On a clear signal! And just as planned!

bramling

Veteran Member

I wouldn't have said either of these things are an issue in practice. Where I am far more staff are distracted by other issues, like their childcare arrangements, football matches on tv, Christmas, et cetera. However what can occasionally be an issue is enthusiasts being a pain in the backside to train as some have a habit of challenging trainers on points of detail (to be fair they may sometimes not be wrong, but it's dimly thought of).

red2005

Difference I suppose is that childcare, football and Christmas aren’t whizzing past platform staff/conductors/drivers whilst a train is being dispatched for example. Those issues are generally dealt with during PNB/down time and if anything safety critical work probably takes their minds off those issues.

Well yes, coming into Guard training having say been a guard on a heritage railway beforehand and “knowing the lot” is a problem a few trainers have told me comes up regularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.