• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Possible InterRail trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanB

I'm thinking about doing getting an InterRail 15 day pass and was just wondering how much money I should set aside, I'm 19 and would like to use High Speed Rail ticket, probably going to fly to Paris and start my trip from there, as using rail all the way would be incredibly expensive.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

burns20

I budget usually £30-£40 a day to pay for 3 meals if ur hotel doesnt include breakfast.

For a cheaper holiday I would recommend Czech Republic/Slovakia/Hungary/Poland no such High Speed Lines but amazing scenery, friendly people, rail staff and cheap beer 60p for 500ml in Liberec.

Gordon

Please be aware that the cost of the Inter-Rail ticket does not include many high speed or overnight train supplements nor give easy accessibility to 'global fare' trains.

If you don't want to try and use the remaining overnight trains in Europe, don't forget that there is an option to use the 'rabbit hutch' type hotels pioneered by the Accor group (eg ETAP). Many of these are in industrial estates some way from railway stations, but there are some city centre ones - which you can identify with careful internet research.

For example, I have used the following 'budget' hotels near stations:

ETAP:
Switzerland - Basel Pratteln (short walk from Pratteln station)
France – Boulogne sur Mer, Tours, Toulouse, Strasbourg

The next level up is Ibis which is more expensive than ETAP but has many more hotels adjacent to stations:

France – St Etienne, Grenoble, Orléans, Marseille, Strasbourg
Switzerland – Chur, Basel SBB

In general, Inter Rail is much more difficult than it used to be when I was 19 (er in 1979...) and Inter Railed every chance I got. In those days nearly all trains were walk on and nearly all overnight trains had day coach seats for no extra fare. I learned that the key thing to do to get proper sleep was to have a good evening meal before travelling overnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.