• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Possible MMI fail and re-trying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waikikibaby

Hi all,

I've e-mailed for feedback and also asked RSS for more info but I'm anxious for any answers that anyone can give me. I received this e-mail after taking assessment 2:

We'd like to thank you for taking the time to attend the assessment centre for the Trainee Train Driver - *****.

Becoming part of the *** team involves a thorough selection process and unfortunately on this occasion, you haven't been successful. We receive lots of applications and although you didn't pass the assessment we'd like to hear from you again. Although you'll need to allow at least six months before reapplying for this role you can still apply for different positions and sign up for job alerts.

My questions are these:

I was told on the day that I'd passed the computerised tests and although the e-mail isn't specific, I'm assuming that I failed the MMI, could they have failed me on other things such as being late? The e-mail doesn't specifically say that I failed the MMI.

If I did fail the MMI does that mean I have lost a 'life'?

If I failed the MMI do I have to wait 6 months before re-doing it (as I have another assessment day in less than 2 weeks with another operator).

I appreciate that because the new assessments have only been in use for a short time that there may not be any concrete answers but I've almost exhausted my phone battery searching the internet! Many thanks if you can help.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

benno79

Hi,

I'm in the same boat as you, I passed the tests in the morning but failed the mmi in the afternoon.

To answer your questions.

My first email didn't say I had failed the mmi, just that my results hadn't reached the required standard. I contacted both the opc and the train company for further information who confirmed I had failed the mmi.

Yes you have lost "a life"

Yes you have to wait six months from the date of your first assessment.

I know how your feel but I felt better once I had got my feedback, I'm doing my best not to wish the next few months of my life away but it's not easy.

:(

tlionhart

The MMI is part of the stage 2 assessment. So in 6 months time, if you do apply for another trainee roll you would only need to sit assessment 2 and the DM interview/medical.
If you do sit stage 2 again you will need to do all of the stage 2 section again. Computer tests and SJE/MMI.
The once you have passed stage 2, your fairly safe. If you did fail the DM interview, it's not a life lost (on the plus side), downside opportunity lost.
As for being late, who knows? You could say they would find areas to mark you down so you fail or the alternative side to the spectrum is they treat everyone fairly. Hard to say, only the assessors on the day know this one. Don't try to beat yourself up about it. The positive outcome is you found out quickly the fate of the interview. I wouldn't dwell on it either, unless there was an area you were unsure about, then try and learn from this. :)

Last edited:

benno79

I was told I would only have to sit the mmi again, I would not have to sit the other parts of stage 2 that I passed.

tlionhart

I was told I would only have to sit the mmi again, I would not have to sit the other parts of stage 2 that I passed.

Even better :D
I know in the past it was the whole of stage 2. So things must have changed.

rob12

Let me tell you I have passed all tests with 3 good passes and 2 passes, I haven't heard yet but sure I failed my DM interview, To get all that way and for it to take over 6 months to get there then to stumble at the last hurdle believe me it is a horrible feeling to get so close and even though I passed all the tests I still have to wait 6 months again before I can re-apply which I don't get I just fluffed out in an interview not the tests but sailed through the CBI/MMI which was very simlar

Yes it is a life gone you only have one more chance to get it right
and yes unfortunately you cannot sit any assessments with any TOC for 6 months and if you do it will flag up and they do ask you at your first assessment if you have taken any tests and failed within the last 6 months if you lie buddy then my guess would be that your future apps will not even be entertained it sucks but thems the rules the earliest you can resit is 6 months from the last assessment you took

Waikikibaby

Thank you all.

I've heard back from RSSB who state that as it's part of the second assessment then I have to wait 6 months.

I've also heard back from the other operator who confirmed that I won't be able to attend my appointment for their second assessment, but they were very kind and stated that they would be recruiting again next year and to try again then.

Still awaiting specific feedback on which parts I failed. For those of you that failed assessment 2 and received feedback did they go into much detail or state which questions you 'failed'? A million and one things running through my head as to what it could have been but overall I thought it couldn't have gone better. Oh well.

DRFT101

Thank you all.

I've heard back from RSSB who state that as it's part of the second assessment then I have to wait 6 months.

I've also heard back from the other operator who confirmed that I won't be able to attend my appointment for their second assessment, but they were very kind and stated that they would be recruiting again next year and to try again then.

Still awaiting specific feedback on which parts I failed. For those of you that failed assessment 2 and received feedback did they go into much detail or state which questions you 'failed'? A million and one things running through my head as to what it could have been but overall I thought it couldn't have gone better. Oh well.

When I failed CBI first time round I got feedback on which area I didn't pass - for example what I must have given for following rules was a fail. Hopefully they will lay it out like that for you - it helped me. It does seem like you've 'missed the chance', but TOCs seem to be recruiting fairly regularly.

jamess115

Relating to this thread, could someone please clarify for me whether you have 'lost a life' if you fail 2 MM Interviews with or without the the same operator? It has been suggested that you have, and then suggested that you haven't.

I am therefore not clear on this.

Thanks

Last edited:

Waikikibaby

My understanding is that if you failed the old CBI then your two lives were reset once the new tests were implemented in November. If you've failed the MMI twice since the new tests were implemented then your two lives are lost and you cannot re-apply (unless they reset your lives if the tests ever change again).

It doesn't matter which TOC you took the assessments with, the results will remain on your 'file' for all Operators to see.

Last edited:

benno79

I was told which question I failed and I was suprised because I thought it was one of my better examples. They don't really tell you anymore. It made it better knowing where I had gone wrong but also worse because I only failed on one question.

jamess115

I am new to this industry and find the rules regarding assessments and interviews to be a train driver bizaar to say the least.

Obviously there have to be standards due to the responsibility involved and it works well for TOC's because it is a way for them to eliminate the huge competition who don't make the cut - however, i'm having a hard time understanding why people are being penalized for failing an interview..

Companies are obviously looking for proficiency, so if you fail the assessment then there is the 6 month rule. OK. However, why this also pertains to being unsuccessful in an interview, I find perplexing.
In addition, to take away a persons goal completely for failing an interview twice is completely beyond my comprehension.

I would love to know which genius came up with this idea..

uberslacker

Perhaps because it forms part of the psychometric testing you are required to pass in order to drive trains

The managers interview does not use any of your 'lives'

ash39

Established Member
It's the subjectivity which bothers me. The tests are quantifiable, a definite result either way, but the interview is down to an individual decision. Obviously these people are qualified and experienced but I still don't like the way it's counted as part of the 'two strikes and out'.

I have mine on Wednesday, and I'm a bit concerned after reading peoples accounts on here. Think I've only seen a couple that have passed!

jamess115

Perhaps because it forms part of the psychometric testing you are required to pass in order to drive trains

The managers interview does not use any of your 'lives'

According to previous posts on this thread, the MMI does use up one of your two 'lives' as its deemed part of assessment 2. In which case, if you go for an MMI with another company 6 months later and fail that, are you out?

Does anybody actually know for sure the answer to this question?

Cheers guys

Last edited:

Waikikibaby

Correct, if you have a look on the RSSB website or do a Google search for RSSB MMI there's a wealth of information. They put together the assessments for the TOCs and in table A on one of their documents, the MMI is classed as part of assessment 2.

Theoretically, if you pass everything, but fail the MMI, then next time you only have to do the MMI, if you fail it again, it's classed as failing assessment 2 and thus your two lives are spent.

uberslacker

Sadly it is the case. From what I have read does seem far more difficult than the CBI was.

According to a leaflet I read from the RSSB website it is used to measure your ability to work calmly and methodically under pressure.

It is annoyingly subjective as was the CBI.

Waikikibaby

With any luck they'll have made it so difficult that hardly anyone gets through and they'll relax the rules such as if you pass 5 out of the 6 questions then you pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.