• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Possible Movement in RMT Dispute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
Whilst obviously not wanting to start the usual massive long debate about the pros and cons of having a dispute and going on strike, I thought it worthy of mentioning that there seems to be some movement in the RMT dispute.

The following email has been received, which would suggest that the RDG is able to make a slightly different offer which the RMT would put to a referendum of members, something they have hitherto refused to do.

7 November 2023

Dear RMT Member

DEFEND JOBS, PAY & CONDITIONS - TRAIN OPERATING COMPANIES

I presented a report this afternoon to the union's National Executive Committee on recent discussions held with the Rail Delivery Group (RDG) with regards to obtaining a proposal document that can be considered by you and your colleagues.

I requested endorsement from the NEC on the following recommendations:

· That the NEC directs me to obtain a fresh proposal on the basis set out in his report

· That fresh proposals received on the basis set out in the report are put to a vote of our members in the TOCs via separate company-by-company referenda

· That rejection of the proposal by our members in a referendum would result in the continuation of the current approach to the dispute in the TOC including the current industrial action mandate

· That proposals that arise from subsequent discussions in each TOC will be subject to NEC scrutiny and decision

Your NEC endorsed the above and I will now be requesting the proposals from the RDG as soon as possible.

I will of course keep you fully advised when this matter is considered again by your NEC.

Yours sincerely,

Michael Lynch
General Secretary

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
Interesting, I do wonder if any ASLEF members who are members of the forum have received a similar email?

Towers

Established Member
General concensus seems to be that they’re doing this dispute ‘back to front’; that is they’re dealing with the RMT first rather than Aslef, which is the usual way of things?

kw12

Ah OK, thanks, interesting that the RMT has received a new offer from RDG but not ASLEF.
Has ASLEF been in discussions with RDG, as RMT has been? If it has not then this perhaps explains why this approach is solely for RMT.

DennisM

Maybe the government wants to resolve the dispute so they can claim it’s all thanks to their amazing new anti strike laws. They might even be able to push through more cuts to human rights legislation off the back of the great success.

Midlands5678

RMT were always months ahead on the dispute process/talks in comparison to ASLEF so it does make sense that the RMT would hear something first.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Maybe the government wants to resolve the dispute so they can claim it’s all thanks to their amazing new anti strike laws. They might even be able to push through more cuts to human rights legislation off the back of the great success.

Perhaps they're realising that they need to resolve all the disputes before an election, and following the outrage over proposals to close ticket offices and subsequently pretending it was the fault of the rail operators, perhaps they're going to pretend to save the day again.

The Government won't want to look defeated, so why not throw the RDG and TOCs under the bus once more?

GardenRail

Whilst obviously not wanting to start the usual massive long debate about the pros and cons of having a dispute and going on strike, I thought it worthy of mentioning that there seems to be some movement in the RMT dispute.

The following email has been received, which would suggest that the RDG is able to make a slightly different offer which the RMT would put to a referendum of members, something they have hitherto refused to do.
And it can all start again January 2024 with NR Members and TOCs when the RMT/ASLEF puts forward their respective claims for 2024 Pay Increase......

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
Has ASLEF been in discussions with RDG, as RMT has been? If it has not then this perhaps explains why this approach is solely for RMT.
They have met with RDG, but are behind in negotiations compared to RMT.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
I think a lot of people will just be glad that any future offers will likely be balloted on TOC by TOC basis. The one major stumbling block of having everyone in the same pot.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I think a stumbling block with ASLEF is that its constitution only allows recommended offers to be put to members.

RMT don't have that problem. The NR offer, which ended up being accepted by a sizeable majority, was put to members without a recommendation.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I think a lot of people will just be glad that any future offers will likely be balloted on TOC by TOC basis. The one major stumbling block of having everyone in the same pot.
All ballots have been on a TOC by TOC basis. Some of the TOCs had multi year pay deals which meant that their staff joined the dispute later than others. The level of support at each TOC has differed but the overall message is consistent.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
All ballots have been on a TOC by TOC basis. Some of the TOCs had multi year pay deals which meant that their staff joined the dispute later than others. The level of support at each TOC has differed but the overall message is consistent.
I am aware of that.

KM1991

Waiting for a slightly different offer by this time next week and then it’ll be time for a TOC by TOC referendum on the offers.

Bluejays

A very small chink of light, at the end of a very long tunnel. But encouraging all the same

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Perhaps they're realising that they need to resolve all the disputes before an election, and following the outrage over proposals to close ticket offices and subsequently pretending it was the fault of the rail operators, perhaps they're going to pretend to save the day again.

The Government won't want to look defeated, so why not throw the RDG and TOCs under the bus once more?
I suspect so.

There was a lot of chatter on Twitter about the King's Speech containing fewer bills than had been expected which, along with the last minute removal by No 10 of the most controversial bill ( the homeless tents thing ) makes me think they'll go to the country somewhat earlier than they have been saying they will.

dk1

Veteran Member
DfT to offer staff:
5% pay rise for 2022,20 months of uncapped back pay, No compulsory redundancies, No change to T&Cs.
Must go to ref.If accepted, strike ballot is over for now. Talks commence in Feb to discuss 2023 pay.

Just seen this posted on X.

Bluejays

DfT to offer staff:
5% pay rise for 2022,20 months of uncapped back pay, No compulsory redundancies, No change to T&Cs.
Must go to ref.If accepted, strike ballot is over for now. Talks commence in Feb to discuss 2023 pay.

Where's the yes box, someone give me a pen !!

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
DfT to offer staff:

Doesn't it now go to the TOCs?

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
Status
Not open for further replies.