• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

possible weekend out next month Bournemouth - Guildford - Amersham / (Aylesbury) / Leighton Buzzard / Milton Keynes Central

Status
Not open for further replies.

miklcct

On Moderation
I have signed up a race on 6 March in Rushmere. The start time will be between 10:30 - 13:00 but unknown yet as it's a high level race where we can't choose our own start time.

The race will be at Rushmere Nurseries, about 1.5 km walk from Sheepcote Crescent on the 150 bus route, running two-hourly between Aylesbury - Leighton Buzzard - Milton Keynes, and 4 km walk from Leighton Buzzard railway station.

I also hope to do some train bashing on the Met Line from Harrow-on-the-Hill to Amersham, which was my plan in this January but due to an incident I didn't reach there so I hope I can complete it.

Furthermore, I also want to go to Guildford on the afternoon in the preceding day, arriving about 13:30 and leaving about 16:00.

Therefore, I am looking for some fare advice here.

1. As there will be engineering work blocking Woking on 5 March, I will travel on a direct train to Guildford. Afterwards, I will continue my journey in the same direction on the New Guildford Line towards London, possibly boarding the train at London Road, alighting at Clapham Junction. I have no intention to enter zone 1 on that day, but will use the West London Line to get across London, possibly to have a buffet near Shephard's Bush, unless the accommodation I have found is in central London.
2. If I am doing train bashing, my line will be from Willesden Junction on the shared LU/NR line to Kenton, changing to Northwick Park, then on the shared LU/NR line from Harrow-on-the-Hill to at least Rickmansworth
3. If I can find cheap accommodation in Aylesbury, I will continue through Amersham there. Otherwise, I may need to return to Harrow to travel on the West Coast Main Line (the first 150 bus starts at Aylesbury at 08:13, earlier than the first Chiltern Railways train, but the second bus two hours later is already too late for an early start time).
4. After the race, I will go direct home. Google suggests the following routes:
Departing from even:02, bus 150 to Leighton Buzzard, West Midlands Train to Harrow & Wealdstone, Southern train to Clapham Junction, SWR to Bournemouth
Departing from even:02, bus 150 to Leighton Buzzard, West Midlands Train to Euston, Underground to Victoria, coach 035 to Bournemouth
Departing from even:42, Train to Euston, Underground to Victoria, Southern train to Clapham Junction, SWR to Bournemouth
Departing from even:42, bus 150 to MK Central, Train to Euston, Underground to Victoria, coach 035 to Bournemouth
5. I may decide not to do train bashing to Rickmansworth if the accommodation I have found is close to central London that it will take me too much time and fare to specifically go to zone 7 and back.
6. The only leg that I can use a fixed-time ticket is the Bournemouth - Guildford train. All others require flexible tickets as it's impossible for me to predict my timing.

Here are my questions:
1. What will be my best ticket combination (using a 26-30 railcard and its associated Oyster), and should I take a train or a coach home for cheaper fare, for each of the following scenarios?
a. Stay at Aylesbury for the night (Bournemouth - Guildford - Clapham Junction - Willesden Junction - Amersham - Aylesbury overnight - Rushmere - direct back home)
b. Stay at Milton Keynes for the night (Bournemouth - Guildford - Clapham Junction - Willesden Junction - Rickmansworth - Watford Junction - MK overnight - Rushmere - direct back home)
c. Stay at North London for the night (Bournemouth - Guildford - Clapham Junction - zone 2 or above overnight - Wembley Central - Leighton Buzzard - Rushmere - direct back home)
d. Stay at Central London (zone 1) for the night (Bournemouth - Guildford - Clapham Junction - zone 1 overnight - Euston - Leighton Buzzard - direct back home)

2. Which of the above is likely to have cheap accommodation (preferably hostels, but Travelodge-style hotels are also acceptable) under £30?

Status
Not open for further replies.