• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Postal Car Blind

Status
Not open for further replies.

slpeak

Hi, I'm new to this, so I hope I've posted in the right place. My parents were about to throw away a 1948 Postal Car blind my Grandad had got hold of. They didn't realise what it was. It's 5 metres long. I want to preserve it. I haven't got the money to have it framed professionally, but I did get a frame made to display a 1.5 metre stretch, which I now have. I intend to fold the blind, linen backed, in the best way I'm able. My parents are in their 80s and when I rolled the blind out, they recognised some stops and it got them reminiscing. I want to give it to them showing the ones most relevant to them. I feel responsible for a bit of history though, so I want to get it right. Will it fade because I've probably not bought the most expensive frame? I know they were illuminated by artificial light. Would it be OK to fold it? I don't want to cut anything as it doesn't feel like the right thing to do. The blind is nearly as old as my parents, so I want to look after it! Thanks for any advice. Sorry if this is a bit daft.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ashley Hill

Established Member
I wouldn’t fold it as the creases will be difficult to get out should you wish to change the destinations at any time. You are correct not to cut it. Some antique dealers do this with bus blinds and selling them to pubs and shops as novelty display items. Once cut the blind has gone forever.
If you can mount it so it’s not flush with the wall you could add a bit to the frame for the rolled up ends to sit in.
And yes keep it out of direct sunlight as they will noticeably fade if left in the same position for long periods of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.