• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pourtsmouth Harbour ferry connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveo

I will be travelling to IoW by ferry from Portsmouth Harbour in June. I currently have a bad knee which is impairing my walking speed. Two questions:-
* What is the walking distance from train (from Southampton) onto the ferry?
* What is the minimum time I should expect to comfortably make the connection?

Thanks, in anticipation

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

aar0

From Southampton there's a free bus to the RedJet ferry terminal.

From Portsmouth I think it's a ramp, perhaps 400yds?

Veteran Member
From memory, the distance is about 200m from the front of the train and it's ramped.
I can't instantly find the minimum connection time, but the shortest advertised one from Southampton is 9 minutes, with an extra change at Havant.
If you have walking difficulties you won't want the hassle, and all the other connections from Soton seem to be 20+ minutes which is more than enough.
You could book assistance, especially if you have baggage.

Chris125

Established Member
It's no distance at all, just a short ramp beyond the buffers down to the Wightlink waiting area.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I’m reading this question as getting the train from Southampton to Portsmouth for the ferry. Most off-peak hours this will be quickest using GWR which normally arrives in platform 1, the north side of the station. The ferry terminal is effectively across the end of the station but to seaward, perpendicular to the platforms. If you are at the very front of the train at Portsmouth Harbour it is very near the ramp down to the terminal which is at a slightly lower level than the station platforms, then there’s a bit of doubling back and another ramp to the ferry boarding point, slope is dependent on the tidal state. I don’t think it’s quite as far as the above poster reckons, I’d say around about 150m max including the short distance from the front of the train.

Journey planners should include adequate transfer times, I’d have thought. Selecting a via point of Portsmouth Harbour, they suggest GWR at xx-05, arr xx-52, ferry departs xx+1-15, around 22 or 23 mins to transfer.

May be worth giving Wightlink a ring in case they provide assistance within the terminal.

daveo

Thank you for your replies.
To clarify, the connection time I am asking about is from leaving the train to reaching the ferry (boarding point).

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Found a decent aerial view showing a ferry alongside, there’s a SN service in P1.

https://goo.gl/images/hDGFiQ

To get your bearings the windows in the end of that ‘shed’ are above the ramp down to the ferry terminal, and you can see what I meant about sort of doubling back towards the boarding ramp that is about half way along the ferry?

daveo

Thank you again folks.
"swt passenger" has given me exactly what I need

Daveo

Status
Not open for further replies.