• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Prague Travelcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonic2009

Established Member
Hello all - i'm a little confused with the websites mentioning Prague transport.

Is there a ticket for a certain number of days ie 48 hours valid for zones for all transport - a bit like a London Travelcard?

Are there any maps available?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Hello all - i'm a little confused with the websites mentioning Prague transport.

Is there a ticket for a certain number of days ie 48 hours valid for zones for all transport - a bit like a London Travelcard?

Are there any maps available?
https://www.dpp.cz/en/welcome-to-prague#jizdenky

Assuming you only want central Prague not the countryside, that should help.
It's a 24-hour or 72-hour ticket, but at £4 a day it won't bankrupt you :)

Should be a map (or several IIRC) on the site too.

BTW most of the cross River ferries are included but there's at least one private one. Quite fun!

Sultan

Hi, it's really easy with the App PID Litacka to purchase tickets for trams, buses and underground. Adult tickets cost 30CzK for half hour, 40Czk for hour and a half, 120Czk for a day and 330Czk for 3 days. Purchased in advance, they are activated as you use them (when boarding).

It also has an excellent journey planner and 'next bus / tram' bit.

Exchange rate is between 26 and 27 CzK to the pound at the moment.

sonic2009

Established Member
Thanks for the replies - i'm after something like travelling on all modes of transport :)

Established Member
I always buy mine from the kiosk on the concourse at the main Prague station. Just validate it on your first journey and you are good for the next 24 or 72 hours. They usually have paper maps available for the technically challenged, but the app is easy to use too.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Thanks for the replies - i'm after something like travelling on all modes of transport :)
I've been to Prague twice but am still not sure that the local DPP fares (24-hour ticket etc) cover local trains, nor the express airport bus.
For those, ČD will sell you a 1-day travelcard for the Central region (Prague and around) for CZK 279 - about £10.

dutchflyer

Established Member
LOCAL trains (labelled as S-as in Germany)-by CD are covered, since many many yrs, there is even the odd route wholly inside Prahy-city and subsidized by it, but as its a german-style zonal system only as far as last real stop of that train in the zones covered. Praha-local area counts as 3 zones, it is cheaper for those coming in (or going out) to nearby and not using the full extent of DPP (think of this as TfPr-old style LT, just a very few outsourced buslines, all electric tram/metro/trolejbus by the city DPP. The airport-expr bus is wholly out of it all and charges the usual for airpt much higher fares-it is partly integrated with CD for combined trips further onward.
As above: the info-post in the main ticket office inside the HN=main station is a always reliable and very extensive, maps, info, brochures incl even timetables-for those areas that have recently been reorganised. You can also help yourself if its closed-but CD still open. The whole ´Verbund´=PiD covers the whole province-as do most other provinces in CZ with their own Verbund-style transport. it is even not possible to buy CD-tickets anymore for such trips.
It is also half-price for those from 60, and free (DPP only) from 65-and more free (all) from 67 or 70 (ages are slowly rising) and for anyone, not just EU as in HU (BPest etc.) BUT you need to get a local fotocard proving that-at that office (canNOT be done at airprot)-bring a passpt foto, show ID/passpt, pay 60CzK.

Whisky Papa

I've been to Prague twice but am still not sure that the local DPP fares (24-hour ticket etc) cover local trains, nor the express airport bus.
For those, ČD will sell you a 1-day travelcard for the Central region (Prague and around) for CZK 279 - about £10.
The AE bus is not covered by the Prague local fares as you say, but local trains within Prague are. Try putting some single journeys into the DPP journey planner, and they will still come up with the CZK 40 single fare if trains are used or other modes.

There are DPP sales desks at the airport for those arriving by plane - I've used them for virtually every visit apart from one occasion when the terminal was being refurbished. I've never used the AE express bus, but the various service bus routes will get you to a metro or tram line pretty quickly.

It is also half-price for those from 60, and free (DPP only) from 65-and more free (all) from 67 or 70 (ages are slowly rising) and for anyone, not just EU as in HU (BPest etc.) BUT you need to get a local fotocard proving that-at that office (canNOT be done at airprot)-bring a passpt foto, show ID/passpt, pay 60CzK.
According to the PID website, it is possible to claim the 50% discount for those aged 60-65 on 30 minute, 90 minute and 24 hour tickets simply by showing your passport. I'm going again soon for the first time after I've turned 60 - has anybody any experience of using this method rather than getting the fotocard?
https://pid.cz/en/discounts/#senior
(My bold on item 4)

Senior from 60 to 65 years​

Prague – discounted fare​

Seniors from 60 to 70 years of age can travel in Prague for discounted (half-price) fare if they have one of the following passes:

1. A chip card with an appropriate application
  2. A PID pass for Senior from 60 to 70 years.
  3. National identity card (only for European Union countries)
  4. Passport

No other documents are accepted to grant these discounts! Please note that the issue of a chip card or a PID pass is charged and one needs to provide his personal information and photo. Therefore, this offer is profitable only for longer stays in Prague. If this applies to you, visit our information centers for more information.

Last edited:

Established Member
According to the PID website, it is possible to claim the 50% discount for those aged 60-65 on 30 minute, 90 minute and 24 hour tickets simply by showing your passport. I'm going again soon for the first time after I've turned 60 - has anybody any experience of using this method rather than getting the fotocard?
https://pid.cz/en/discounts/#senior
(My bold on item 4)

Last time the sales clerk rather sheepishly asked, in perfect English, “do you mind me asking if you would qualify for a senior pass?” I didn't know about the over 60 discount but as I qualify easily I took it as a compliment that she was embarrassed to ask :) Having assured her I certainly wasn’t offended she sold me 3x24 hour tickets at half price rather than the 72 hour ticket (no discount) I’d asked for. You just validate the next one after previous one expires. Simple.

Veteran Member
Last time the sales clerk rather sheepishly asked, in perfect English, “do you mind me asking if you would qualify for a senior pass?” I didn't know about the over 60 discount but as I qualify easily I took it as a compliment that she was embarrassed to ask :) Having assured her I certainly wasn’t offended she sold me 3x24 hour tickets at half price rather than the 72 hour ticket (no discount) I’d asked for. You just validate the next one after previous one expires. Simple.
And once you are 70 you go for free, except on the trains.

BTW one rail route that is within the central Zones is the "Prague Semmering" from Smichov up to Zlicin (beyond there is out-boundary).

Zamracene749

Area maps here https://pid.cz/ke-stazeni/?type=mapy

The zone maps show the rail services you can travel on- an all zones day ticket covers a surprisingly large area.

The standard 330czk 72 hour ticket covers Prague city and it's suburbs- Zones P, 0,B (all the trams and metro, plus the buses and ferries in the same area).
To roam further afield, https://pid.cz/wp-content/uploads/mapy/schemata-trvala/a1_primesto_pid.pdf you will need an extra ticket
For all the outer zones its 180czk for a 24 hour add on.
If you dont already have a 72 hour Prague ticket (I recommend that you do though) then its 300czk for 24 hours in all the zones in Central Bohemia.

Note also that if you avoid the AE bus and use local buses and the metro to get to the city centre from the airport, that unless you buy a 24 or 72 hour ticket your baggage is not included!

Whisky Papa

Thanks, that is very encouraging.
Note also that if you avoid the AE bus and use local buses and the metro to get to the city centre from the airport, that unless you buy a 24 or 72 hour ticket your baggage is not included!
There used to be a fare quoted on the DPP website for luggage, but I can't find it since last year's fare revision. The amount you can take for free is pretty generous before you need to pay extra - I've never had an issue but I usually only travel with a backpack or small wheelie case anyway. The lack of proper luggage space on the service buses means it often finishes up on your lap, in which the backpack is a much more comfortable option!
https://www.dpp.cz/en/travelling/public-transport-travelling/travelling-with-luggage
Again, my bold for the "additional fee" text, which suggests the fare should be somewhere on the DPP site!

Travelling with luggage​

• Max. 3 bags up to 50 kg in total and with dimensions of max. 25 × 45 × 70 cm
  • A rod max. 150 cm long or with diameter of max. 20 cm
  • A board max. 100 × 100 × 5 cm
  • Maximum two pairs of skis in one cover, or a snowboard
  • Mobile shopping bag
  • A pram with baby
  • Transportation fee is paid for a larger luggage
With 24-hour ticket, a passenger can transport 1 luggage for free (does not apply to a bicycle in a cyclobus)

Whisky Papa

Update to this as we've just returned from Prague. The clerk at the airport DPP desk was happy to confirm that my wife and I could travel at half fare, taking our word that we were (just!) 60 and 62. I did ask if we needed to have our passports with us (which we would have done anyway) which was again confirmed - as it happened, we didn't get our tickets checked at any point in six days. So a 24 hour ticket for us is now just CZK 60, roughly £2.50 at current exchange rates. Of course, the option of obtaining an ID card would work out much cheaper in the long run, CZK 130 for a month: I suspect few tourists realise just how cheap the regular long-term tickets actually are here!

Our only panic came when the desk at the airport was "temporarily closed" when we arrived, and as we were just getting singles into the city for that evening, we thought about buying those at the machine at the stop and getting the rest of the tickets the day after. However, to our (and no doubt his) relief, the clerk emerged from a presumed comfort break after a couple of minutes and opened up again.

Last edited:

sonic2009

Established Member

So Prague is now booked for next Feb 2024 - so i'm correct in thinking that this ticket you have mentioned is valid within this area shown here : https://www.cd.cz/assets/typy-jizdenek/vnitrostatni-jizdenky/stredocesky_1.pdf

The exile

Established Member

sonic2009

Established Member
Great - enjoy your trip.
Have you translated the legend on the map? The red lines signify "valid on ČD trains only" so hopefully that will not be a an issue for you?
I only plan to use CD trains - so i understand this excludes open access operators and others - not sure of them.
Yes - but note that the DPP day tickets DO cover trains but not,IIRC, the AE bus. No problem on the other buses to/from the airport, though.

I understood this covers the trains that are either S or R in front of a number, as shown on this map here : https://pid.cz/wp-content/uploads/mapy/schemata-trvala/a3_kolejova_doprava.png

Veteran Member
I only plan to use CD trains - so i understand this excludes open access operators and others - not sure of them.
It excludes the KZC excursions (not relevant in Feb!) but also any route that is wholly/partly operated by a non- CD franchisee, and that is a fair number.

sonic2009

Established Member
It excludes the KZC excursions (not relevant in Feb!) but also any route that is wholly/partly operated by a non- CD franchisee, and that is a fair number.

Is there a way to find this out? I'm guessing that the lines shown on the map shared are all Services operated by CD?

I'm generally after a day out of the city on one of the days, and after anything ideally loco hauled or small railcars.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Is there a way to find this out? I'm guessing that the lines shown on the map shared are all Services operated by CD?

I'm generally after a day out of the city on one of the days, and after anything ideally loco hauled or small railcars.
The S49 on the quoted map above (Praha-Hostivar to Roztoky u Prahy) is operated by Arriva. You're not missing much though - it's just a Desiro Classic.

Best Railcar experience will be the "Prague Semmering" between Praha Hlavní Nadraží and Žličín/Hostivice. Even more fun to board at Praha-Smíchov Severní Naštupíste (North Platform) which is effectively a couple of concrete slipways in some loco and carriage sidings.

sonic2009

Established Member
The S49 on the quoted map above (Praha-Hostivar to Roztoky u Prahy) is operated by Arriva. You're not missing much though - it's just a Desiro Classic.

Best Railcar experience will be the "Prague Semmering" between Praha Hlavní Nadraží and Žličín/Hostivice. Even more fun to board at Praha-Smíchov Severní Naštupíste (North Platform) which is effectively a couple of concrete slipways in some loco and carriage sidings.

I looked at the railcar - but it won't run when i'm in Prague from Monday - Friday. Is there anywhere someone would suggest I can go on a day trip for say a roundabout journey? I don't have to buy the CD ticket for one region.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
I looked at the railcar - but it won't run when i'm in Prague from Monday - Friday. Is there anywhere someone would suggest I can go on a day trip for say a roundabout journey? I don't have to buy the CD ticket for one region.
It runs all week. It's just the 'heritage' KZC-operated services that are restricted to weekends. On a weekday, you'll still get a little Class 810 Railcar bouncing merrily along, operated by Ceske Drahy.

As for a circular trip - a fairly easy-going one would be Prague - Plzen - Ceske Budejovice - Prague. It'd be loco-hauled throughout, with older stock on the Prague - Plzen trains that go to Klatovy/Munich, and almost-new 'InterJet' sets on the ones to Cheb.

Plzen to Ceske Budejovice is usually a Skoda-built 242 loco and a mix of older compartment and open carriages.

If you want to ride some little DMUs out in the sticks, there are plenty of lines to do that on. You could travel from Prague to Domazlice, then up to Plana u Marianskych Lazne on an 810 DMU, join a hauled service up to Cheb then another for the 'other' route back to Prague via Karlovy Vary and Most.

sonic2009

Established Member
It runs all week. It's just the 'heritage' KZC-operated services that are restricted to weekends. On a weekday, you'll still get a little Class 810 Railcar bouncing merrily along, operated by Ceske Drahy.

As for a circular trip - a fairly easy-going one would be Prague - Plzen - Ceske Budejovice - Prague. It'd be loco-hauled throughout, with older stock on the Prague - Plzen trains that go to Klatovy/Munich, and almost-new 'InterJet' sets on the ones to Cheb.

Plzen to Ceske Budejovice is usually a Skoda-built 242 loco and a mix of older compartment and open carriages.

If you want to ride some little DMUs out in the sticks, there are plenty of lines to do that on. You could travel from Prague to Domazlice, then up to Plana u Marianskych Lazne on an 810 DMU, join a hauled service up to Cheb then another for the 'other' route back to Prague via Karlovy Vary and Most.

Thanks for the detailed information - would i need to purchase individual tickets?

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Thanks for the detailed information - would i need to purchase individual tickets?
You don't have to - they're all Ceske Drahy trains so you could also buy the Celodenní jízdenka (day pass) for 699CZK/£25 if you want the freedom to do whatever you please. (Click the Czech name for purchase link).

The Czech Railways app (Muj Vlak) is great and does everything as eTickets - so it's good to just pop on your phone and buy as you please. Never had a problem with it.

Connections within reason are usually held. In terms of English spoken, staff on long-distance trains usually know some English (some perfect English!) but on local ones, the older staff likely won't speak any at all. The most you'll likely be asked though is Kam jdes? (where are you going?) on trains with request stops.

The exile

Established Member

I understood this covers the trains that are either S or R in front of a number, as shown on this map here : https://pid.cz/wp-content/uploads/mapy/schemata-trvala/a3_kolejova_doprava.png
Should also cover Sp . Ex and above may not be covered - I’ve never yet needed to check as I’ve always been on some other kind of ticket Further out so hadn’t thought of that!

Whisky Papa

Connections within reason are usually held. In terms of English spoken, staff on long-distance trains usually know some English (some perfect English!) but on local ones, the older staff likely won't speak any at all. The most you'll likely be asked though is Kam jdes? (where are you going?) on trains with request stops.
From a conductor or other staff member I would have expected Kam jdete? as the formal (or plural) 2nd person verb form.

Luckily, the odd times I got out in the sticks I was on an FIP coupon, or travelling with my son who spoke a little Czech. I've rarely encountered a language problem around Prague itself.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
From a conductor or other staff member I would have expected Kam jdete? as the formal (or plural) 2nd person verb form.

Luckily, the odd times I got out in the sticks I was on an FIP coupon, or travelling with my son who spoke a little Czech. I've rarely encountered a language problem around Prague itself.
My mistake - I can speak some Polish but Czech is both very similar and very different depending on what you're translating - I only know a little of it :lol:

Agreed Prague itself is rarely a problem. Even in shops - as I tend to get any supplies from the giant Tesco next to Andel Metro that has self-service.

Status
Not open for further replies.