• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Praha visit

Gordon

I am heading to Praha with my wife for the Bruce Springsteen gig on 28 May.

Rather stupidly I chose a hotel on the castle side of the river so won't be able to nip to Hlavni whilst my wife is 'powdering her nose'

Is there anywhere I could 'escape to' for an hour or so for real railway gricing? Is there a place where lots of freight passes through as well as passenger? Is there a particular loco or train type that is threatened with withdrawal soon?

Also, are there any good model shops where the prices are cheaper than average (for European outline models)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlbertBeale

Established Member
I'm afraid I can't help with advice for rail services on that side of the river. However, if you have some spare time, and other interests, the most fascinating and engaging museum I ever remember visiting in any capital I've spent time in is the Kafka Museum in Prague. It's by the river (below the castle on that side of the river). Everyone I know who's read even a little bit of Kafka has come out of the that museum with their head spinning.

Veteran Member
From memory, freight tends to avoid the centre of Prague and the bridge at Smichov is weight-restricted, so freight towards Plzen will go over Branik bridge, well upriver but reachable by tram.
So Holesovice is probably a better bet - Smichov is good for passenger but AIUI is a building site - depends which is nearer your hotel.
Otherwise, Masarykovo is a lovely station with some diesel services, and there are old-style suburban stations like Dejvice and Veleslavin on the secondary route west.

For something different, down to Smichov by tram, railbus up to Zlicin and back by tram. And the trams on Letenska in Malostranska go under a building - you can probably do that sightseeing though.

Zamracene749

Threatened locos out of Prague at the moment? Probably the gorillas, class 150. Work the peak Kolin sp services but due to be replaced very soon by new units. You won't see them on the castle side of the river though sadly.

Belperpete

Established Member
As 30907 said, the bridge over the river at Smichov is weight restricted, but also restricted to one train on it at a time, so the traffic over it has been significantly reduced.

I also strongly agree with his recommendation for a trip on the "Prague Semmering", the S65 local line from Smichov (platform 3 track 9 ) to Zlicin. Some superb views over Prague as the "Mouse" loops its way up the hill.

I seem to recall seeing a largish looking model shop a few tram stops from Zlicin, but haven't been in. I do recall going in a largish model shop in the centre of town, but wasn't too impressed.

Whisky Papa

Praha-Podbaba is on the line alongside the Vltava heading north, and is a bit nearer than Holešovice. There is a tram terminus over the road; depending exactly where your hotel is you might be able to get an 18 from Malostranská straight there.

The line also passes through the northern edge of Stromovka park, but is rather screened by trees, especially in spring/summer.

Belperpete

Established Member
It is worth going to see the Andel metro station, which still has its impressive Soviet-era architecture and sculptures like the Moscow metro:
Anděl metro station
The Anděl metro station was opened in November 1985, originally under the name of ‘Moskva’. The bronze sculpture with the inscription of ‘Moscow-Prague’ in the lobby of the metro station was to commemorate the alleged friendly and warm relations between the two capital cities. The propaganda at the time described it as a symbol of ‘eternal friendship’ between Czechoslovakia and the Soviet Union.

The adjacent big Nový Smíchov shopping centre is built on the site of the old Tatra tram factory that built all those T3 trams to be found throughout eastern europe. They recently put a plaque (with a pair of buffers) on the outside of the last remaining factory building, now a Humanic shoe shop. The road directly opposite (Stroupežnického) used to have a rail line along it, connecting the factory to the Na Knizeci rail yard. If you walk along this road, there is a weedy car park, that still has rails from this old connection.

If you are into model railways, Stroupežnického street also contains the "Kingdom of Railways":
Kingdom of Railways
Our giant model tracks on the lower floor of the exposition includes also famous sight from Karlovy Vary, Pilsen, Ústí and Labem, Liberec, Central Bohemia and Prague regions. So far, the model consists of 6 regions of the Czech Republic, which will be extended in the future by more. Already now the lower tracks take up more than 460 m2, and thus it is the biggest model trackage in Central Europe.

Gordon

Thanks for the replies.

My hotel is half way between Andel and Malostranska, so may well end up using Andel station. I am currently trying my best to underline to you know who that a train ride up the scenic line suggested is a touristy thing to do not just a 'boring trains' thing...

The exile

Established Member
Thanks for the replies.

My hotel is half way between Andel and Malostranska, so may well end up using Andel station. I am currently trying my best to underline to you know who that a train ride up the scenic line suggested is a touristy thing to do not just a 'boring trains' thing...
If you’re there over a weekend, they actually run extras up it using a heritage unit - with a “buffet” if that helps to convince…