• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pregnant!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fbihi

Morning forum.
Been in a dilemma of what to do and appreciate any advice!
I applied for MTR crossrail back in May. Passed the online tests etc and have now received an assessment centre date for late Jan 2019.
Between that time I found out I was pregnant and am due in Feb!
I don't know if I should let them know or waddle in the centre looking like a sea lion! I am hesitant as it took months for a slot to become available & scared I will be pushed to the back of the que; Also don't want to go and be rejected because I am pregnant.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ComUtoR

Established Member
You can't be discriminated against for being pregnant. Consider your due date and weigh your options. If you feel you are able to pass the assessment then I see no issue with you taking it. If you pass then you will move to the next stage like anyone else. Time off during training is generally frowned upon so you need to consider that. Also, when you drop you may not be employed and therefore not entitled to maternity leave or pay.

Personally I would let them know. You will need to at some point so its better to be proactive here. They may defer your assessment or get you assessed and defer your start date. There is usually a delay between assessment and starting. Working with MTR will give you more options and prevent any rash decisions.

Congrats on the ickle one.

bionic

Legally you don't have to tell them you are pregnant, but if you do and you subsequently pass the tests and then get told they don't want you, or they say you can't take the tests due to your pregnancy then it's automatic discrimination. Train driving being a safety critical role is not an excuse. I would like to think most company HR departments would be fairly clued up about this and treat you accordingly.

Check the citizens advice and TUC websites as they have loads of relevant info on pregnancy at work. Good luck with the pregnancy and good luck with the assessments.

Fbihi

You can't be discriminated against for being pregnant. Consider your due date and weigh your options. If you feel you are able to pass the assessment then I see no issue with you taking it. If you pass then you will move to the next stage like anyone else. Time off during training is generally frowned upon so you need to consider that. Also, when you drop you may not be employed and therefore not entitled to maternity leave or pay.

Personally I would let them know. You will need to at some point so its better to be proactive here. They may defer your assessment or get you assessed and defer your start date. There is usually a delay between assessment and starting. Working with MTR will give you more options and prevent any rash decisions.

Congrats on the ickle one.
Legally you don't have to tell them you are pregnant, but if you do and you subsequently pass the tests and then get told they don't want you, or they say you can't take the tests due to your pregnancy then it's automatic discrimination. Train driving being a safety critical role is not an excuse. I would like to think most company HR departments would be fairly clued up about this and treat you accordingly.

Check the citizens advice and TUC websites as they have loads of relevant info on pregnancy at work. Good luck with the pregnancy and good luck with the assessments.

Thanks guys.
I think I am more inclined to just turn up and take my chances.
I am sure I will be more than capable in completing the test, don't know about passing but will give it my best shot! Hopefully instead of being discredited will be encouraged for determination.
Have to work as soon as I have the baby regardless, so I guess will state the obvious and fingers crossed they won't think I'm mad! Unless I go into labour at the centre & become the conversation across the company!

FOCTOC

Why would you want to gain a job that you know obliges you to work long anti-social shifts?

Last edited by a moderator:

mafeu

Why would you want to gain a job that you know obliges you to work long anti-social shifts as a new mother? Most new mothers want to spend time at home with their new children, not fob them off onto others and go to work at all hours or would you be expecting the prospective new employer to accomodate you on shifts of your choosing?

Perhaps Fbihi is wanting to provide for their family? You do not know their circumstances, so to say they’ll be fobbing off child to others is not fair.

Good luck with your assessment!

Jonfun

Established Member
Why would you want to gain a job that you know obliges you to work long anti-social shifts as a new mother? Most new mothers want to spend time at home with their new children, not fob them off onto others and go to work at all hours or would you be expecting the prospective new employer to accomodate you on shifts of your choosing?

Perhaps Dad works part-time, or is taking a career break. It's personal decision based on each person's individual circumstances.

Fbihi

If fobbing them off to their father so that I can provide them with a better life is a discussion, then yes, i am guilty of that crime.
As I mentioned before, I became aware i was pregnant AFTER passing the assessment online.
I do not intend or expect anyone to lean backwards for my personal circumstances, as don't require any judgment or discrimination from individuals like yourself.

Fbihi

Perhaps Fbihi is wanting to provide for their family? You do not know their circumstances, so to say they’ll be fobbing off child to others is not fair.

Good luck with your assessment!
Thank you!

142Pilot

Do the tests.

You have nothing to lose and are not guaranteed to pass or even a job at the end of it.

Pass and it lasts 5 years anyway.

Although I suspect they will not allow you to train whilst expecting - a woman I work with had her safety critical status removed once she declared pregnancy.

RJ

Established Member

In this day and age it's not unheard of for the mother to be the primary breadwinner. Nowadays the "traditional" family model doesn't really work for everyone, especially if you're in London where the cost of living is crazy if you aren't fortunate enough to have low or no rent/mortgage outgoings. In many cases, both parents have to work or else accept a lower standard of living, reduce costs by pooling resources i.e with other family members or face an increasing amount of debt to stay afloat.

Having said that, I agree that with jobs that have a rota like train driver, it's very unfair for the favourable shifts to be removed from the cycle at the expense of everyone else who may well appreciate being able to do those shifts every few weeks and I'd hope this isn't done as a matter of course. Ideally a position should be found which offers static or family friendly hours.

As long as there's an adequate support network to ensure care of the child, what's the problem?

Last edited:

Stigy

Established Member
I will echo what others have said in that you should definitely do the assessments. Regarding discrimination, it’s true that one cannot be discriminated against for being pregnant, however, if you were successful in passing the assessments, you may find that an offer of a job is tailored around when you’ll reasonably be able to undertake the course which will be largely classroom based. (For example it would be pointless starting you when you’re due to give birth a few weeks later). Given you’re due in Feb, I doubt you’ll be on a course much before May or June anyway? Just judging by how Railway recruitment works rather than how MTR Crossrail works specifically.

AntoniC

Good luck to you all - I commend you for wanting to get this job !.
I hope you get a job and have a healthy baby.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
In this day and age it's not unheard of for the mother to be the primary breadwinner. Nowadays the "traditional" family model doesn't really work for everyone, especially if you're in London where the cost of living is crazy if you aren't fortunate enough to have low or no rent/mortgage outgoings. In many cases, both parents have to work or else accept a lower standard of living, reduce costs by pooling resources i.e with other family members or face an increasing amount of debt to stay afloat.

Having said that, I agree that with jobs that have a rota like train driver, it's very unfair for the favourable shifts to be removed from the cycle at the expense of everyone else who may well appreciate being able to do those shifts every few weeks and I'd hope this isn't done as a matter of course. Ideally a position should be found which offers static or family friendly hours.

As long as there's an adequate support network to ensure care of the child, what's the problem?
Very good post.

Many children these days are not only cared for by parents/carers but by other friends/family members too, such as grandparents etc.

It isn't right, reasonable or fair for anyone to automatically assume that arrangements aren't in place.

I wish the OP all the best, and good luck with the assessment.

Fbihi

Perhaps Dad works part-time, or is taking a career break. It's personal decision based on each person's individual circumstances.
I supported him in his career & am fortunate to have his support now. Well done and thank u for not limiting your judgement!

Last edited:

Fbihi

I thank you all enormously for your support.
You have given me the confidence & reassurance I needed.
Thank you all and good luck to everyone trying to persue their careers however hard the journey may seem!

Fbihi

I will echo what others have said in that you should definitely do the assessments. Regarding discrimination, it’s true that one cannot be discriminated against for being pregnant, however, if you were successful in passing the assessments, you may find that an offer of a job is tailored around when you’ll reasonably be able to undertake the course which will be largely classroom based. (For example it would be pointless starting you when you’re due to give birth a few weeks later). Given you’re due in Feb, I doubt you’ll be on a course much before May or June anyway? Just judging by how Railway recruitment works rather than how MTR Crossrail works specifically.
Fingers crossed I hope that falls in place! Thank you :)

dvdgrgsmt

As I think someone else said its worth doing anyway as if you pass it but didn't do so well at the interview stage you already have a pass for the assessments if you apply again later.

Good luck

Darandio

Established Member
I guess both good luck and congratulations are in order. Hopefully further down the line more congratulations are in order with a healthy baby and new job. Please let us know how it all pans out!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Why would you want to gain a job that you know obliges you to work long anti-social shifts?

Because it is the 21st Century. Perhaps mum earns more than dad so dad takes the paternity leave.

To the OP - good luck, go for it. Don't let anyone tell you you cant or shouldn't do something.

Fbihi

Thanks for the advice & encouragement. You all have given me the desperate direction & support I needed! Am extremely grateful!
I will definitely let you all know how it goes!
Wish you all, all the best!

FOCTOC

If fobbing them off to their father so that I can provide them with a better life is a discussion, then yes, i am guilty of that crime.
As I mentioned before, I became aware i was pregnant AFTER passing the assessment online.
I do not intend or expect anyone to lean backwards for my personal circumstances, as don't require any judgment or discrimination from individuals like yourself.

No aspersions cast, I was curious. As a driver, and also a father I just wanted to learn of your aspirations. The mother of my own child was in full time employment as a bank manager when she learned she was pregnant and continued until she went on maternity. On returning to work (and not 24hr shiftwork) she found she was unable to cope and adjusted her employment accordingly.

I just wondered what you expect having passed the assessments? I would find out how much of a hurry the prospective employers are to get people trained up to avoid possible dissapointment.

LittleMi

I wouldn’t worry too much as after being successful in the final interview with Crossrail it took me 10 months to start as a trainee driver and that seems to be the norm. All the best!

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Because it is the 21st Century. Perhaps mum earns more than dad so dad takes the paternity leave.

To the OP - good luck, go for it. Don't let anyone tell you you cant or shouldn't do something.

Yep - Shared Parental Leave is a thing now. Do it (or what ever you think is best for your family)

12guard4

They can't say anything if you are pregnant, check any contract though as you may not get full maternity pay.

krus_aragon

Established Member
They can't say anything if you are pregnant, check any contract though as you may not get full maternity pay.
If that should turn out to be the case, maternity allowance may be available from the government. (My wife was working for four different agencies when she became pregnant, and wasn't earning the required £116 a week for SMP with any one of them, so it was maternity allowance in our case.)

Hoyerman

I know someone who completed their training and passed out as a driver whilst pregnant. She then went home ready to drive on her own the next day for the very first time - and went into labour several weeks early later that night (granted, her pregnancy started shortly after she began the training course!). She didn't actually drive her first train alone for around a year after that!

It's entirely your decision whether or not to mention it, so you have to make the one that works best for you and your own individual circumstances.

My personal advice would be to make them aware of your pregnancy, unless its at a stage where reasonably you might not be aware yourself. If you're obviously visibly pregnant, I would certainly advise them in advance, because they will notice as soon you come in the door! You will probably then find that they will be extra careful regarding your assessments because to do anything else might leave them open to the possibility of discrimination. It's true that you don't have any legal requirement to make them aware, but my experience is that these people appreciate openness and honesty - and that won't harm your case for future employment. They can't refuse to employ you because of your pregnancy, but you need to be aware that they could potentially suggest that you defer either the assessments or any future employment for a period of time in the interests of your own safety.

From your own point of view, you need to make sure that you're happy to go through with the assessments on the day (this is where telling them in advance can help you. You could possibly have a chat with them about your condition and whether that might have an impact for you with any of the assessments). Once each section starts, it cant be interrupted. It can be a fairly intense and stressful day for some people and you need to make sure that any stress etc isn't going to cause you any problems at this stage. Don't forget that its just a job and family and health are always more important!

Best of luck to you and I hope everything work out!

Status
Not open for further replies.