• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Preparation for a trainee driver course

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeatAndTwoMeg

Hi everyone,

I was hoping to get some advice on preparation I can do in advance of starting as a trainee driver.

I have already read on the forum that it is not advisable to read the rulebook ahead of the course. However, I wondered whether anyone has suggestions for any online resources that might be useful or something I could be doing to ease the learning curve when I start? The only thing I am doing at present is learning all stations on the routes the depot I applied for sign.

Also, is it likely that I will need to have my own laptop for the classroom based learning?

Finally, it would be great if anyone had any general tips for doing well once the course is underway - this can be for rules, traction or route learning.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheEdge

Established Member
Just turn up on the day. No need to prepare at all. You'll be given everything you need in the right order.

You can bring your own laptop if you want, but I'd advise against it.

Just learn the way you learn best, what worked for me and Joe Bloggs won't necessarily work for you. It'll seem absolutely overwhelming to begin with but you'll soon find it's all just going in.

Enjoy the last weeks of a normal social life and body clock.

AverageJoe

Folder, Paper, pens, pencil, rubber, ruler and highlighters.

Forget anything to do with route knowledge or traction.

Prepare for homework and revision, if you have jobs around the house/garden that need doing get them done now.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Keep an open mind.
Trust in the process.
Be curious.
Ask questions.

JunnyT

Hi everyone,

I was hoping to get some advice on preparation I can do in advance of starting as a trainee driver.

I have already read on the forum that it is not advisable to read the rulebook ahead of the course. However, I wondered whether anyone has suggestions for any online resources that might be useful or something I could be doing to ease the learning curve when I start? The only thing I am doing at present is learning all stations on the routes the depot I applied for sign.

Also, is it likely that I will need to have my own laptop for the classroom based learning?

Finally, it would be great if anyone had any general tips for doing well once the course is underway - this can be for rules, traction or route learning.

Thanks in advance!
Watch PTG Rail signalling on YouTube, explains about 25% of your rules

skyhigh

Established Member
Make sure you get an early night before your first day. That's really about all you need to do. You will be given full teaching of what you need to know - and more importantly in the way your assessors will want you to understand it.
The only thing I am doing at present is learning all stations on the routes the depot I applied for sign.
Don't bother. Route learning is a long way off, you will likely only start with one or two 'core' routes out of the ones your depot sign that you need to learn and you'll have plenty of time to learn your routes, so there's no point worrying over that at the moment.

ComUtoR

Established Member

Please don't.

Watching out of date content and content with opinion, rather than facts, as well as use of slang terminology, isn't suitable. I also watched him describe a few scenarios and give driving advice, which I found a little questionable.

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance!

Pretty much what everyone else has said... don't worry about learning anything beforehand as the course will be structured to provide all the information in a particular order. The only caveat to that its useful to know the phonetic alphabet but that's about it.

Hopefully the TOC will provide you with any electronic devices you need for the course (a tablet most likely) so don't worry about a laptop - it'll just be something else to lug around! Bring some pens coloured pencils and an A4 notebook and you will be fine.

Finally turn up in plenty of time on your first day and enjoy the course

skyhigh

Established Member
Please don't.

Watching out of date content and content with opinion, rather than facts, as well as use of slang terminology, isn't suitable. I also watched him describe a few scenarios and give driving advice, which I found a little questionable.
Seconded. If you learn something wrong it's harder to then forget and learn properly than it is just to learn properly when you're taught it by your employer the first time round.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

Really terrible advice.

The TOC's driving training team will have a schedule fully prepared for someone brand new. Teams have been crafting and refining the training package for years. Don't presume (or assume) anything and if you put the work in, it will pay off. You'll be given everything you need (or told what you need to bring in advance).

There's some very basic stuff you can do in advance such as learn the phonetic alphabet (good general life skill anyway imao!) but don't sweat it much. Many visit some stations for your TOC if you really want to get a "feel" for it. Go in with the right mindset.

philthetube

Established Member
agree with others, phonetic alphabet, only other possibly useful is have a idea about the routes, (not from a driving perspective) not essential but may help you to know what people are talking about sometimes.

MeatAndTwoMeg

Looks like I need to chill for the time being! Thankfully, I already know the phonetic alphabet very well after my years in the Air Cadets.

FNG

If you have a date for the course and if you have the time, can afford to etc etc then I would advise you to go on a nice holiday.

You’re in for an intense 12 or so months and even though you will have periods of leave built into your training cycle, you’ll probably find it very difficult to completely switch off during your downtime.

I had a couple of holidays when I did my training and they were ok but I still found myself doing a bit of studying or thinking about assessments, rules and other railway related bits.

Apart from that, what everyone else has said.

Good luck.

As others have said; don’t learn anything available online. You will be starting an intense 12 month course where you will question yourself and your own ability during its duration - its not easy but it is doable.

A tip that serves well is always spend an hour or so at night (after academy) to go over what you have learn that day. Just 1 hour and always remember on a weekend to try and take some time off from learning.

If you’re not 100% sure on an element of your training; ask.

Good luck

TheGoldfish

I’d say the best advice is to get yourself some good stationary… and make sure you have colouring pencils .. for the endless drawings of absolute block signalling lol…. Everything else you need they’ll give to you .. good luck !

Driver_wife

When do you start and with which TOC? I also learned my phonetic alphabet from years in the air cadets - transferable skills hey! Lol - I start my training on 7th November

Pilotman

Hi,

Just thought I'd add to the chain. When I was trained originally, dependent on what TOC, they will normally be prepared with a robust training schedule so like others have said, do not worry and turn up on the day. If however, you want to get the heads up, my trainer introduced me to the following website which we used in class and proved to be a good free resource to study around the training. Best thing is, this was designed by a trainer and most of all is free to use and study.

https://uktrainingsolutions.com

Hope this helps and if I can give a little advice, don't jump ahead. Only look at what is applicable at the time, so I assume PTS would be your first milestone.

Status
Not open for further replies.