• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Preserved class 60s.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I presume you're referring to the photo of the aperture for the engine room doors, located midway along the bodyside. No cutting of the bodyshell required.

Oh ok. When I looked at the photo I thought it looked a bit rough around the edges to be the doors. I’m not that familiar with the layout of a class 60.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
Oh ok. When I looked at the photo I thought it looked a bit rough around the edges to be the doors. I’m not that familiar with the layout of a class 60.
To be fair, I did gain the impression, perhaps incorrectly, from photos of the loco in store that damage was done around the engine room doors on that pictured side of that loco, as it gained a replacement door in grey and the adjacent area of the bodyside looked fairly 'dinged up'.

In fact looking again there does appear to be a patched section of bodyshell low down to the left of the door opening, which tallies with the area that looked to have suffered damage in earlier photos of the loco in store (apologies for the misunderstanding if it was this smaller area you were referring to).

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
To be fair, I did gain the impression, perhaps incorrectly, from photos of the loco in store that damage was done around the engine room doors on that pictured side of that loco, as it gained a replacement door in grey and the adjacent area of the bodyside looked fairly 'dinged up'.

In fact looking again there does appear to be a patched section of bodyshell low down to the left of the door opening, which tallies with the area that looked to have suffered damage in earlier photos of the loco in store (apologies for the misunderstanding if it was this smaller area you were referring to).

No I’m sure you’re probably right. I think I thought the damage was more widespread than that. Thanks for the extra info.

aem7ac

Anything about 60050 and 60086? Are they planned to return to Wensleydale or are they up for the cutting torch at Shires Storage (if they do such services there)?

sprinterguy

Established Member
Anything about 60050 and 60086? Are they planned to return to Wensleydale or are they up for the cutting torch at Shires Storage (if they do such services there)?
Neither, I'd imagine: The locos are privately owned, I believe they moved from the Wensleydale as part of a clear out of non-essential stock, the railway is unlikely to want them back in their current condition, and presumably the owner still has aspirations of restoration (starting with 60086, I believe: I could admittedly envisage 60050 becoming a spares donor).

D365

Veteran Member
It was the GEC alternator control cards, from memory. There were only 10 GEC alternators used in the Class 37 HGR programme, so they weren’t common to start with.
Unless I’m mistaken, the only ’GEC’ refurbished 37 still in mainline operation is 37800 for ROG.

On Moderation
Unless I’m mistaken, the only ’GEC’ refurbished 37 still in mainline operation is 37800 for ROG.
Correct. The only locos to use it were 37796-803 and RK270-engined 37905/6.

ExRes

Established Member
A couple of pictures on Class 60 Group facebook of a very shiny 60081 being loaded onto an Allelys trailer

Mountain Man

I don't see preservationists having much luck dealing with 30+ year old microprocessors. There might be some way to 'hack' a 60 to work in some sort of brainless low-tech manor like an earlier diesel locomotive, but I doubt it somehow.

The 58s in preservation don't appear to be progressing much, and I'm taking that as a yardstick for any future attempts at Class 60 preservation.
Given people can make all sorts of old tech work using emulation technology, I think you are over stating the complexity. The challenge will be money as always

12LDA28C

Established Member
Given people can make all sorts of old tech work using emulation technology, I think you are over stating the complexity. The challenge will be money as always

Money and manpower. Some preservation groups only have a small number of members and an even smaller number of volunteers who are prepared (and have the time) to get their hands dirty.

D365

Veteran Member
Money and manpower. Some preservation groups only have a small number of members and an even smaller number of volunteers who are prepared (and have the time) to get their hands dirty.
To add to the above - very few people who know a Class 60 inside and out, and would be prepared/able to give up time to support a volunteer movement.