• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Preserved locos/stock hired back to mainline use?

5ArchBridge

Deltics were hired for freight and stock movements in the late 2010s if I remember correctly.

Are there any other instances of this happening with preserved locos/stock?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
One rarity was the hiring of 0-6-0ST 3 R.H.Smyth (Avonside, 1928), formerly of the Londonderry Port and Harbour Commisioners, for relaying works on the NIR system. Possibly the most recent use of a steam loco for proper commercial work in these islands.

High Dyke

Established Member
I seem to recall an Austerity made a foray from the East Lancs Railway onto the Manchester Metrolink network in 2015 working a ballast train. Admittedly not main-line use, but not a regular occurrence either. This thread was on the forum at the time.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
When it comes to main line registered diesels (especially 20s, 37s, 47s and 50s) over the last decade or so, the boundaries between being preserved and being in revenue earning service seem very fuzzy.

alexl92

Established Member
I seem to recall an Austerity made a foray from the East Lancs Railway onto the Manchester Metrolink network in 2015 working a ballast train. Admittedly not main-line use, but not a regular occurrence either. This thread was on the forum at the time.
It did indeed as the regular diesel was out of service.

On Moderation
125 Group’s 43048/089 were used briefly by DATS as part of their contract to test the MML electrification north of Bedford.

1Q18

Not the only one, also includes at least 37025, 37175, 37219 and 37254.
37025 was never owned by Colas, it was hired by them for several years from it’s owners at the Bo’ness & Kinneil Railway, and so is exactly the kind of scenario the OP is describing. The majority of the 37s that Colas have actually owned were indeed purchased from preservation.

Taunton

Established Member
City of Truro, after its 100mph record in 1904, was put into York railway museum (the old one) in 1931. But in 1957 it was taken out, and put back into mainstream service at Didcot shed to the end of steam, where it did various tasks, not necessarily lighter ones, as one time it took over The Bristolian from a failed Warship diesel. However its regular run, on the days it was steamed, was the gentle lunchtime run from Didcot, through Newbury, to Southampton, coming back on the 4.56 from Southampton, stopping at Eastleigh just after 5pm, and thus bringing back home to Winchester all the senior staff from the Southern's Eastleigh Works. Just to show them what a grand old loco can do.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
The then AC Locomotive Group owned 86101, 86401 and 87002 were hired to Serco for Caledonian Sleeper work 2015-2019. I believe they have all since passed from the AC Loco Group to Locomotive Services Limited (86101/87002) and West Coast Railways (86401) though.

Harvester

Established Member
Although not specifically hired, Jubilee 5690 Leander was removed from a CME to rescue a failed Class 40 hauled freight on the S&C in August 1980.

Strathclyder

Established Member
As mentioned by the OP, a Deltic was hired out for stock movements in the 2010s. Specifically, 55022 (owned by Martin Walker at the time IIRC) was hired out to GB Railfreight to work ScotRail EMU transfers between Yoker Carriage Sidings, Shields Depot, Glasgow Works and, during the 2012-2014 Class 334 refurbishment, Brodies in Kilmarnock (running via Barrhead outbound and Barassie inbound initially, then via Barassie both ways). This started in May 2013, taking over from a mixture of 57s and 66s (37685 appeared on one out-and-back turn in January that year, merely acting as extra braking force IIRC), becoming the sole loco employed on the workings from July onwards. After the 334 refurb was finished in November 2014 (two refurbished 334s went back south for corrosion repair work following this), 022 remained employed by GBRf on Glasgow area EMU moves as mentioned above until at least late 2015/early 2016 (can't recall exactly when the last working was), such as this example from September 2015 that I was on hand to catch at Springburn:

This wasn't the first time GBRf had hired 022 out however, as she had previously seen extensive use on Alcan workings between Lynemouth and North Blyth in April/May 2011 (and one especially notable jaunt up the North Clyde & West Highland Lines to Fort William; she worked the return trip as far as Mossend).

Mothball

In previous years the 03 and 08's have made a few voyages down the Bury line, aswell as 37109, 37418 and 37901 that took part in a major track renewal while preserved at the ELR.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Also not quite mainline use, but believe that in July 1964 the Bluebell railway were asked to hire out a couple of their steam locos (= possibly North London Railway 0-6-0T No. 58850 and definitely LBSCR E4 0-6-2T No. (32)473 'Birch Grove') to the demolition contractors based at Ardingly whose Ruston & Hornsby diesel shunter had failed on the first day it was required, and so the Bluebell ironically assisted in the lifting of the branch line from Ardingly to Horsted Keynes.

1Q18

Also not quite mainline use, but believe that in July 1964 the Bluebell railway were asked to hire out a couple of their steam locos (= possibly North London Railway 0-6-0T No. 58850 and definitely LBSCR E4 0-6-2T No. (32)473 'Birch Grove') to the demolition contractors based at Ardingly whose Ruston & Hornsby diesel shunter had failed on the first day it was required, and so the Bluebell ironically assisted in the lifting of the branch line from Ardingly to Horsted Keynes.
The NLR tank was used for the demolition of both the Ardingly branch and the line north from Horsted Keynes to East Grinstead, eventually ending up being marooned at East Grinstead and returned to Sheffield Park by road. Some much-needed financial income for the railway at that point in their development.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Regarding hired rolling stock; the loco-hauled Birmingham International - North Wales trains of the late '90s - early 2000s were formed of Mk1 coaches hired from a steam railway; I think, the West Somerset. At least one was in chocolate and cream.
The particular coaches hired were ones that had been in preservation a comparatively long time, and I was given to understand that later purchases form preservation had a 'not to be used for commercial purposes' clause but these earlier ones did not - and that the railway simply replaced the hired-out stock on their line with Mk1s by buying more.

jumble

Didn't 55022/D9000 work some of the last Virgin CrossCountry services into Kent back in the early 2000s?
It did in 1998 1999
I had the slightly bizarre experience of traveling on her from Kensington Olympia to Bromley South on a one day travel card
I also travelled to Oxford from KennyO on another day

Deltics were hired for freight and stock movements in the late 2010s if I remember correctly.

Are there any other instances of this happening with preserved locos/stock?
Does Tornado on the Settle and Carlisle Northern service trains in Feb 2017 count ?
I was there
Summer the Cocker Spaniel

Last edited:

ac6000cw

Established Member
Does Tornado on the Settle and Carlisle Northern service trains in Feb 2017 count ?
Tornado isn't really a preserved loco - it's a modern steam loco (completed 2008) built as an improved version of the Peppercorn A1 design. It's much younger than probably everything else mentioned in this thread!

steamybrian

Established Member
After Hastings Unit no. 1001 was restored in 1996 it was used many times
In 1998 worked between Norwich- Great Yarmouth/Lowestoft to cover stock shortages.
Many times between Ashford-Hastings
In 2002 it was used for 6 weeks on its former regular route between Charing Cross- Hastings.
It has also been hired by train companies to cover for their special public trains

1Q18

Tornado isn't really a preserved loco - it's a modern steam loco (completed 2008) built as an improved version of the Peppercorn A1 design. It's much younger than probably everything else mentioned in this thread!
At the time that it was operating Northern services it was substantially younger than anything else in the Northern fleet!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
It did in 1998 1999
I had the slightly bizarre experience of traveling on her from Kensington Olympia to Bromley South on a one day travel card
I also travelled to Oxford from KennyO on another day
Thanks for the correction, my timeline for when the Kent XCs finished was a bit off, for some reason I thought they ended at the same time as the Brightons (even though I know I know better!).

SeanG

After Hastings Unit no. 1001 was restored in 1996 it was used many times
In 1998 worked between Norwich- Great Yarmouth/Lowestoft to cover stock shortages.
Many times between Ashford-Hastings
In 2002 it was used for 6 weeks on its former regular route between Charing Cross- Hastings.
It has also been hired by train companies to cover for their special public trains
It was used on the Whitby line I believe

12LDA28C

Established Member
47798, donated by EWS to the NRM at York for preservation and display was hired out to West Coast for use on railtours some years ago which unsurprisingly didn't go down too well with EWS...

Similarly preserved 47580, preserved by the Stratford 47 group was also hired out for several years to West Coast for charter use and of course currently preserved 47712, owned by the Crewe Diesel Preservation Group is in main line use for LSL on charter work.

Peddles88

The Class 56 Group's Fastline liveried 56301 is currently on long term hire to DC Rail

DarloRich

Veteran Member
that was a very pleasing surprise! it ran for 14 months on the GY run

I have also heard tell it worked services on the Tees Valley line at one point - but I think that was simply a transfer to the NYMR

Last edited: