• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Preserved railways: 2023 passenger statistics

railfan99

Established Member
In February 2012, YorkshireBear posted the below.

Does anyone have an update on any of these railways' patronage during the financial year 2022/23?

I suspect many carry fewer today, but hope I'm incorrect.

-------------------------------------------------------

1.All figures are for 2009/2010. Taken from 'Still Steaming-A guide to Britain's standard gauge steam railways 2010/2011'.
2.I may forget some so if i do no put it up it does not mean i do not think you are a big railway.

Avon Valley-80,000
Beamish-320,000
Bluebell-175,000
Churnet Valley-70,000
East Lancashire-110,000
Ecclesbourne-15,000
Embsay and Bolton Abbey-107,000
Gloucestershire Warwickshire-70,000
Great Central-150,000
Great Central (Nottingham)-15,000 (for comparrison)
Keighley and Worth Valley-150,000
Lakeside and Haverthwaite-170,000
llangollen-110,000
NRM Shildon-60,000+
NRM-800,000
Mid Hants-150,000
Midland Railway-130,000
North Norfolk-130,000
North Yorkshire Moors-330,000
Paington & Dartmoor-350,000
Peak Rail-60,000
Severn Valley-248,000
South Devon-100,000
Swanage-201,448 (exact figure for 2007)
West Somerset-220,000
ADDITIONS
Ravenglass and Eskdale-120,000
Northampton-20,000
Chinor-15,000
Wallingford-9,700
Crickdale-16,000

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lost property

It would be far more interesting, and probably revealing, if more contemporary figures could be provided for comparison.

Titfield

Established Member
It would be far more interesting, and probably revealing, if more contemporary figures could be provided for comparison.

Finding passenger numbers for heritage railways is exceedingly time consuming. The sometimes complicated corporate structure of heritage railways means that often such information is only published in the annual report of the senior corporate body. What I think will surprise many is just how few passengers some of these railways carry.
Many carry a sizeable number of passengers on their "Santa Specials" or similar services and dining trains. Arguably those should be excluded to get an idea of the core business.

The exile

Established Member
Many carry a sizeable number of passengers on their "Santa Specials" or similar services and dining trains. Arguably those should be excluded to get an idea of the core business.
Since the number of “genuine transport” journeys (interpreted as a journey that would be made by other means were the railway not there, rather than a “day out” round trip or single leg as part of a coach tour etc) is likely to be near zero for almost all of the railways- surely a Santa or a Dining Special is just as much core business as any other train?

railfan99

Established Member

I've no objection to splitting the patronage figures as you suggest. In their defence, Santa Specials and lunch/breakfast/dinner trains if properly costed should be fairly profitable, assuming sufficient bookings.

Corporate structures seem much more complicated than in my state/nation. It's not uncommon to find a 'Plc' entity plus a couple of 'trusts'. Some companies are exempt from lodging 'full accounts' via the UK's excellent Companies House.

Titfield

Established Member
Since the number of “genuine transport” journeys (interpreted as a journey that would be made by other means were the railway not there, rather than a “day out” round trip or single leg as part of a coach tour etc) is likely to be near zero for almost all of the railways- surely a Santa or a Dining Special is just as much core business as any other train?

My choice of words is poor but I think they should be split out for a couple of reasons1) it enables a like for like comparison to be made with railways who do not provide a dining train or santa special (or of course a like for like comparison of Santas), (2) some heritage railways talk of the effect passenger numbers have on the local economy. In my experience with one heritage railway Santa Special passengers have minimal effect on the local economy as they come for the ride and then go straight home. They dont spend money in the locality.

I've no objection to splitting the patronage figures as you suggest. In their defence, Santa Specials and lunch/breakfast/dinner trains if properly costed should be fairly profitable, assuming sufficient bookings.

Corporate structures seem much more complicated than in my state/nation. It's not uncommon to find a 'Plc' entity plus a couple of 'trusts'. Some companies are exempt from lodging 'full accounts' via the UK's excellent Companies House.

The corporate structures were designed around (1) the charity commission rules re trading enterprises (2) to try and separate operations from assets so if the operating company lost large amounts of money it precluded creditors seizing heritage assets.

Over time though these structures (ie having separate structures) appear to have created the opportunity for friction and division.