• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Press, call, react

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
If it's what I think it is, we just call it press and call.

The company would like drivers to use it all the time, however personally I've found confining it's use to high workload areas (such as an ESR while running on close up yellow signals) is most helpful.

It's saying aloud the reason you are cancelling the AWS warnings as there's research that shows it helps your brain remember and reduces risk of incident.

Eg *beep* "double yellow", *beep* "ESR", *beep* "ESR", *beep* "single yellow".

dk1

Veteran Member
Just do something reactive when the magnet gives you the horn. Looks good on the tape ;)

Efini92

Established Member
If it's what I think it is, we just call it press and call.

The company would like drivers to use it all the time, however personally I've found confining it's use to high workload areas (such as an ESR while running on close up yellow signals) is most helpful.

It's saying aloud the reason you are cancelling the AWS warnings as there's research that shows it helps your brain remember and reduces risk of incident.

Eg *beep* "double yellow", *beep* "ESR", *beep* "ESR", *beep* "single yellow".
Is it that system the Japanese use?

dan4291

It's not a specific phrase I heard in my driver training but it sounds essentially like risk-triggered commentary which was heavily emphasised by my TOC, i.e. call out the signal aspect or speed restriction, etc.

AS1990

Press- Aws reset, upon receiving horn.
Call - call out associated reason for horn (double yellow, ESR, Morpeth etc)
React - brake.

I was always told it’s back to front tho, as in reality you usually react first, call out then cancel Aws, but I guess React, Call Press doesn’t have as nice a ring to it!

driverd

It's not a specific phrase I heard in my driver training but it sounds essentially like risk-triggered commentary which was heavily emphasised by my TOC, i.e. call out the signal aspect or speed restriction, etc.
Just to add in, the difference to RTC is the react bit. RTC doesn't imply doing anything where as reacting does imply doing something.

Slight bug bear with the concept is that react means doing something - but something isn't necessarily braking. This could be shutting off power, or on the NTS side of things, perhaps just sitting up and paying extra attention. There's plenty of situations where instinctively throwing the brake in on a single yellow could actually increase risk (eg: taking yourself below the brake curve on an approach to a station and then coasting (for the red) - zoning out to the station stop and over-prioritising a signal that should simply be acknowledged as a SOYSPAD risk).

Very much on the NTS side of things, this is essentially all about risk management and there's no specified right or wrong thing to do.

Sheridan

React - brake.

I was always told it’s back to front tho, as in reality you usually react first, call out then cancel Aws, but I guess React, Call Press doesn’t have as nice a ring to it!

You brake, then call out the reason, then cancel the AWS?

Wrexhamfc

Can any drivers explain this concept to me?

See it, Say it, Remember it.

Or don't say it, usually remember it, until the day you don't and you go through the Red because you forgot you were approaching it.

You have 1.7 seconds to cancel the AWS before the emergency brakes come on (TPWS/AWS 4). 2.3 seconds on TPWS/AWS 2.

Sheridan

You have 1.7 seconds to cancel the AWS before the emergency brakes come on (TPWS/AWS 4). 2.3 seconds on TPWS/AWS 2.

For that reason I would imagine it’s the usually the case that you cancel the AWS first, no? Exactly as in the first post, ‘press’ comes first. Unless the poster I was quoting is making the point that we’re constantly reacting to stimuli, therefore you can’t cancel an AWS warning until you’ve reacted to it. But in this case ‘react’ clearly has a specific meaning (i.e. take action appropriate to the warning you’ve just acknowledged and called out).

Established Member
At my place old school drivers were told 3 seconds, most of us were told 2.7.

Class 387s have TPWS 4 and nobody told me when I signed them that I had less time to cancel the AWS!

Wrexhamfc

For that reason I would imagine it’s the usually the case that you cancel the AWS first, no? Exactly as in the first post, ‘press’ comes first. Unless the poster I was quoting is making the point that we’re constantly reacting to stimuli, therefore you can’t cancel an AWS warning until you’ve reacted to it. But in this case ‘react’ clearly has a specific meaning (i.e. take action appropriate to the warning you’ve just acknowledged and called out).

I wouldn't get to excited about whether you must say it, before you cancel the AWS, or whether you say it as you're cancelling the AWS, or whether you cancel the AWS and look around frantically to see wtf it was for before saying it. (Yes, they do leave magnets lying around the track sometimes, and over powering it when there's rail in the four foot can get the AWS going off repeatedly). It would be a very exacting pedantic manager to pick you up for not saying it before you pushed the button.

And no, you don't apply the brake before you've pushed the button, unless you were already about to brake before you went over the magnet, because you don't have time.

Sheridan

And no, you don't apply the brake before you've pushed the button, unless you were already about to brake before you went over the magnet, because you don't have time.

That’s all I was asking, as the post I quoted implied that you did, even if that wasn’t the poster’s intention.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
It's all about engaging another sense essentially, you might act but speaking and then hearing yourself say it reiterates and reinforces those actions so you are sure about what you are doing and are less likely to make mistakes. It's why "repeat back" is also a common learning for safety-critical staff.

dk1

Veteran Member

That was extended slightly on our newer stock from what I recall a couple of years back. Definitely longer than 1.7.

AS1990

Dependant on the circumstance, but personally speaking if I see a cautionary aspect in the distance I’m reacting to it. Why wait until I hit the magnet to simply press, call and then react, just heightens the risk, no?

driver9000

Established Member
See it, Say it, Remember it.

Or don't say it, usually remember it, until the day you don't and you go through the Red because you forgot you were approaching it.

Really? We have 2.7 seconds to cancel the AWS on our TPWS4 fitted stock.

John Bishop

Dependant on the circumstance, but personally speaking if I see a cautionary aspect in the distance I’m reacting to it. Why wait until I hit the magnet to simply press, call and then react, just heightens the risk, no?
Absolutely. I wouldn’t be waiting till the magnet to brake in leaf fall season, I get the brake in well before the magnet. Even known slippy areas during the rest of the year, I won’t wait till the magnet before braking.

Sheridan

Okay, totally get what you mean now, thanks!

Efini92

Established Member
Exactly that. In some places braking at the magnet can be too late.

Exactly that. In some places braking at the magnet can be too late.
This.

It’s always beneficial to take a positive action sooner rather than later. This can be situational of course - depending on what type of signal sequence you’re on, where your red is and what the rail head conditions are at the time.

Everything is recorded so always try and show that you reacted prior to the magnet.

This is how I train my trainees and it works, just my 2 pence.

Zontar

React - brake.

Agree. On a download a positive action such as braking or shutting off before a magnet could be seen as more proactive and concentration levels high.

This.

It’s always beneficial to take a positive action sooner rather than later. This can be situational of course - depending on what type of signal sequence you’re on, where your red is and what the rail head conditions are at the time.

Everything is recorded so always try and show that you reacted prior to the magnet.

This is how I train my trainees and it works, just my 2 pence.
Yes agree entirely

Status
Not open for further replies.