• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Preston to Liverpool Lime Street Northern Duo Ticket Reasonable Routes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil8715

I have to travel to Liverpool on a regular basis with my partner to attend clinics at Liverpool Heart & Chest Hospital I buy a Northern Duo ticket.

What do they class as a reasonable route?

we normally travel on a direct service from Preston to Liverpool Lime Street

I think I can go via Omskirk too. Is there any other routes I can take?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
As well as trains which involve no changes (ie, those trains you normally take), and the shortest route by rail (ie, via Ormskirk), permitted routes also include any routes shown as 'mapped' routes in the Routeing Guide

It's a complex document though (and ATOC are constantly changing it at present), but our Fares Guide (3.4 Routes shown in the National Routeing Guide) may be of some assistance if you wish to determine the mapped routes.

Any route for which you can obtain an itinerary on one ticket should also be valid, as the booking engines also interpret the Routeing Guide. The booking engines do not always agree with each other, and do not always interpret the Guide correctly (see 3.15 Routes permitted by booking engines)

Gathursty

Established Member
It may be better to stick on a direct service if you are using a Duo ticket from Northern actually.
I've had a quick glance at the terms and conditions and it seems to be unclear as to which route you must take between Liverpool and Preston. I'd still take the direct train as otherwise, the frequency on the Kirkby and Ormskirk lines aren't fantastic.

Last edited:

phil8715

So I take it that Preston to Liverpool via Crewe would not be deemed a reasonable route?

Starmill

Veteran Member
So I take it that Preston to Liverpool via Crewe would not be deemed a reasonable route?

Almost certainly not; but the routing guide can throw up anything.

I'd say via Southport with a walk across Burscough, or via Warrington are more likely.

phil8715

For the Heart & Chest clinic the nearest station is Broad Green

My train from Preston doesn't stop at Broad Green. I could change at Wigan North Western but I prefer to stay on a direct train.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

burns20

Change at Huyton, 5 minute same platform connection. Huyton-Broad Green is only 6 minutes. Preston to Broad Green in 56 minutes.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The Northern Rail web site seems to show that Duo tickets Preston-Liverpool are only offered via St Helens Central (to any station en route, eg Broad Green).
It appears you can travel on Virgin or TPE between Preston and Wigan as well as Northern.
There are time restrictions Mon-Fri: not before 0900 or between 1601-1759 from Liverpool.
http://www.northernrail.org/tickets/Duo+tickets#blackpool_liverpool

If you are heading to Broad Green (10min walk to hospital) changing at Huyton is much simpler than going on to Lime St and back out.

Last edited:

phil8715

I get the bus from Liverpool Queens Square as I have disabled bus pass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
The Northern Rail web site seems to show that Duo tickets Preston-Liverpool are only offered via St Helens Central (to any station en route, eg Broad Green).
It appears you can travel on Virgin or TPE between Preston and Wigan as well as Northern....

The tickets are routed 'Any Permitted', meaning no restriction on Train Company. Via Ormskirk and Via Warrington are permitted routes for the Liverpool ticket, via Crewe is not.

tony_mac

Established Member
According to the routeing guide, it looks like via Warrington involves a walk to Central. Although National rail enquiries allows the route changing at Bank Quay - I doubt it would be queried anyway.

(The 139 bus goes from Huyton Station to the hospital, although only runs every 30 minutes)

eastend43

Hi

I travel on the Preston / Wigan to Liverpool route quite regularly (doing it tomorrow again, not looking forward to it), and also accompany my partner to appointments at Broadgreen hospital (but by car). Looking at the 139 timetable, it's 16 minutes from Huyton to Broadgreen, but about 30 minutes from Queen Square to Broadgreen, so probably going to be quicker changing at Huyton. I would also think it's easier changing at Huyton. The bus station is just next to the train station and while they aren't as close to each other as you might like (and the walk is via an underpass), I'd guess the walk is probably a lot quicker once you factor in the walk from the platform at Lime Street, through the barriers then down to Queen Square.

I'd go via Huyton, but might not be that much in it, and if you are used to going via Lime Street then go with what you are comfortable with.

Best wishes

Statto

Established Member
According to the routeing guide, it looks like via Warrington involves a walk to Central. Although National rail enquiries allows the route changing at Bank Quay - I doubt it would be queried anyway.

(The 139 bus goes from Huyton Station to the hospital, although only runs every 30 minutes)

Probably best on the direct Warrington Bank Quay to Broad Green service rather than hiking Warrington Bank Quay to Warrington Central which can take a good 20 min walk.

You can also catch the Arriva 7 from Huyton which goes down Thomas Lane-Thomas Drive, also an Arriva 6 from Huyton which stops nearby at Broad Green Station.

Status
Not open for further replies.