• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Price discrepancy between GWR and Trainsplit

Status
Not open for further replies.

HST274

This is a minor issue, but now my curiousity is piqued and I want to find out the reasons.

The 'problem' in effect is that an advance single for an adult from Worcester Foregate Street to St pancras on Trainsplit is £19.50, whereas on the GWR website it is £20.

Both are seemingly advance singles from Worcester to London Underground zone 1, but for some reason there is this 50p difference. As I say this is a non isssue, I just wondered what had caused trainsplit to find this 'discount' of £0.50. Thanks for any responses!

*Also trainsplit only seems to offer paper tickets, so maybe that is related? I have no clue.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
Are you sure they're for the same trains? For that journey, a £19.50 fare would be route AP HIGH WYCOMBE and a £20.00 fare would be route AP EVESHAM.

HST274

This is what I found, but yes identical trains, both to London paddington at 1008 in early July on a weekday, changing to the Underground.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Your post is a bit cryptic so required a lot of detective work, but I can answer that this is down to a pricing error by GWR.

Their 'W2O' Advance fare to London Zone U1 is priced at £3.50 more than to London Terminals; the correct additional sum to pay for Zone U1 should only be £3.

The GWR site is offering the defined fare to London Zone U1, including the 50p overcharge.

Trainsplit is correctly determining the through fare as a combination of the £19.50 price to London Terminals and the appropriate £3 supplement through to Zone 1.

https://www.brfares.com/!faredetail?orig=WOF&dest=PAD&grpo=0447&grpd=1072&rte=820&tkt=W2O
Standard
SINGLE
ADVANCE [QS]
W2O
From​
WORCESTER SH/FS
To​
LONDON TERMINALS
Route​
GWR ONLY (00820)​

PRICE
Fare set by:​
GWA GWR ADVANCE​
Passengers per ticket:​
1 adult OR 1 child​
Discount Status​
Status Code
(shown on ticket)​
Price​
ADULT​
£16.50
CHILD​
CHILD​
£8.25​

https://www.brfares.com/!faredetail?orig=WOF&dest=0785&rte=433&tkt=W2O
Standard
SINGLE
ADVANCE [IS]
W2O
From​
WORCESTER FGT ST
To​
ZONE U1* LONDN
Route​
AP EVESHAM​

PRICE
Fare set by:​
GWA GWR ADVANCE​
Passengers per ticket:​
1 adult OR 1 child​
Discount Status​
Status Code
(shown on ticket)​
Price​
ADULT​
£20.00

*Also trainsplit only seems to offer paper tickets, so maybe that is related? I have no clue.
If GWR are offering an e-ticket for this journey, that would cause problems if using it at a London Underground gateline, as LU staff deem such tickets to be invalid (even though, contractually, they are valid).

HST274

Thank you for that! Apologies if it was a tad cryptic. Interesting to see which was correct, and nice to know it was the ever so slightly cheaper option.

Status
Not open for further replies.