• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Price EUS to BHM with FIP Reduction??

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpDr60

Hi,

how much is a Standard Class Ticket London Euston Birmingham New Street with FIP Reduction for Virign Trains for the 17th June 2013? Departure from 16:23h. I arrive at 15:57h with the Eurostar from Bruxulles, i hope on time. Thank's for any help. For me also an interesting Question is, how much is a Frist Class Ticket EUS-BHM from the same Time with standard Calss FIP-Card.

Cheers

Stefan

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chester025

Have you thought of travelling out of Marylebone because as well as being cheaper it is also operated by DB (allowing comparison with services on the continent) and certain services use a Cl.67 as depicted in your avatar?

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Depending on your FIP entitlement the best ticket may be a "Euro High SVR Single" priced at £24.50 (FIP discount does not apply). This can be bought through Eurostar and needs proof of a connecting international (i.e. Eurostar) ticket. This ticket is valid on any permitted route - the quickest routes are Virgin (from Euston) and Chiltern (from Marylebone).

Alternatively an Anytime Single from London to Birmingham, routed Any Permitted (valid on Virgin) costs £79 in Standard and £127 in First Class - depending on your FIP card you will get 50% or 75% off making them £39.50/£63.50 (50%) or £19.75/31.75 (75%). A return is double the price.

An Anytime Day Single routed High Wycombe, for travel with Chiltern, is £30.50/15.75 and the Anytime Return is £47.50/23.75. Standard Class only on Chiltern.

NB: I don't know exactly how FIP discounts work - hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong. In particular, I don't know if a "standard class FIP card" only gives discounts on standard class fares - if so then you will pay the public rates for 1st class travel.

edit: there's also a £10.00 ticket from London Eurostar (CIV) to Birmingham Via High Wycombe.

Last edited:

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
If you hold a standard (2nd) class FIP card and wish to use first class then you are required to pay the difference between the full public first & full public standard plus your FIP standard rate.

Only French, Belgian, & Irish rail staff get 75% discount the rest inc. Germany get 50%.

50% FIP in my opinion is not good value in the UK esp. on Intercity type journeys but as far as I'm aware you do get a discount on Rover tickets.

Here is a screenshot from BR Fares.com

Done a bit of checking not sure if FIP valid with Rovers. Please check locally.

Last edited:

SpDr60

Hi,

thanks for your help. Well very difficult, but there is some time to think about it. To Marleybone i would need to take Bus 205 or the Tube with a little wlk, to Euston i can walk from St. Pancras.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
................but there is some time to think about it.........

Maybe you have enough time to get an FIP free coupon? You would still be able to return & use the remaining boxes if you were only making one trip this time. It all depends if a) you are entitled to a coupon & b) if you wish to use one.

Gook luck anyway.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Maybe you have enough time to get an FIP free coupon? You would still be able to return & use the remaining boxes if you were only making one trip this time. It all depends if a) you are entitled to a coupon & b) if you wish to use one.

Gook luck anyway.

Returning is not actually permitted. The conditions do not allow returning to your home country and then using the vouchers again on another trip.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Returning is not actually permitted. The conditions do not allow returning to your home country and then using the vouchers again on another trip.

Isn't that just neighbouring countries? A RENFE employee not being allowed to use a SNCF coupon after returning to Spain for example.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor

Not true. See below:-

Isn't that just neighbouring countries? A RENFE employee not being allowed to use a SNCF coupon after returning to Spain for example.

To be fair to Haywain RSTL@ATOC did not make this very clear until a few years back. RSTL used to state that once used a coupon could not be reused once you had returned to your issuing network. However, this only applies to coupons for neighbouring administrations. For ATOC/GBPR that would mean France [SNCF], Belgium [NMSB], Netherlands [NS], Norn Iron [NIR], & Ireland [CIE]. I'm not sure about Stena Line bv [StL]. NB that all these neighbouring administrations are much more generous in their allocations of coupons, most give at least two, and all except the Dutch & Stena give 75% discount on tickets.

I am sureSpDr60 will confirm the rules for German railstaff. Do rail administrations neighbouring Germany offer greater discounts on tickets and additional free coupons to German staff?

SpDr60

Not true. See below:-

To be fair to Haywain RSTL@ATOC did not make this very clear until a few years back. RSTL used to state that once used a coupon could not be reused once you had returned to your issuing network. However, this only applies to coupons for neighbouring administrations. For ATOC/GBPR that would mean France [SNCF], Belgium [NMSB], Netherlands [NS], Norn Iron [NIR], & Ireland [CIE]. I'm not sure about Stena Line bv [StL]. NB that all these neighbouring administrations are much more generous in their allocations of coupons, most give at least two, and all except the Dutch & Stena give 75% discount on tickets.

I am sureSpDr60 will confirm the rules for German railstaff. Do rail administrations neighbouring Germany offer greater discounts on tickets and additional free coupons to German staff?

Hi,

the Rules for German Rail Staff are, thet we can only book free coupons one time at the Year and that we are not allowed to return to the contry when once left. We get only 50% off for Tickets all over Europe. No bigger Disocunt on any Contry, and we have to pay Taxes for the free Coupons so they are not realy for free, for ATOC eG that are 13€ Taxes to pay for one Copoun for 2 Days. German Rail Staff get only First Class FIP Card, when they have studied at a university all others have to travel standard class even in Germany. So all the Railstaff from Italy and France get 75% off for normal Tickets and have to pay no Supplement most have First Class and if i from Germany would like to travel in France or Italy i have to pay big Supplements for High Speed Trains (TGV, Eurostar Italia,...) and get only Standard Class and 50% off, waht a nonsense. For Italy eG the Supplement is:

10€ for InterCity Trains
20€ for Feccribianco (old SuperCity)
30€ for Feccaricosa (old tilting Trains)
40€ for Eurostar Italia

Status
Not open for further replies.