• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pride buses in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon75

On Moderation
In the First Glasgow thread, it's says they have 5 buses in Pride colour's.
First Essex has 1. How many bus companies the UK have them, are they a good idea and worth the cost in painting/wrapping the buses ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dai Corner

Established Member
Newport Transport have, or have had, buses in many special liveries including Pride, the late Queens platinum jubilee, the King's coronation, the Ukrainian flag, the local football team and a cancer charity.

They seem popular and they keep doing them so they must think it's worth the cost.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
First Essex has 1. How many bus companies the UK have them, are they a good idea and worth the cost in painting/wrapping the buses ?
I'm not certain how you quantify that? However, can't see it being anything other than a positive, especially when they're relating it to making their workplace a more welcoming space (and so hopefully promoting staff recruitment and retention).

Think most First OpCos have at least one Pride liveried vehicle

SSmith2009

Arriva Midlands have several scattered across the area

VDL Pulsar 2's:
3742 @ Telford
3756 & 3757 @ Oswestry
3806 @ Tamworth

Volvo B9TL
4115 @ Thurmaston

First Eastern Counties has five Pride buses (two B9s, two Streetdecks, and a B7RLE), one for each depot bar King's Lynn.
The brand new Norwich Pride one (The B7RLE) is the best in my opinion. That one had much more detail then the others which are basically pride flags on either side of the destination board, One behind the branding on the side, and a large one on the wall under the stairs. This one they put some effort into. I'll attatch a photo below to see what you guys think (Photo credit Leyton Palmer on Flickr)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-15 16.30.30.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-15 16.30.30.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 110

Bayum

Established Member
I think the notion of ‘Pride’ advertising is supportive of the movement in general but that companies should have more vehicles in the wraps over a longer period of time.

Do I think it’s a good idea? One only has to look at the discrimination that takes place in the UK, the government and media’s clear ‘anti-trans’ movement, ‘Don’t say Gay’ laws in Africa and similar bills in Florida to know that more work needs to be done on LGBTQ issues. Yes, the buses are a start in pushing the message that acceptance is important and needs pushing.

Established Member
Arriva Midlands have several scattered across the area

VDL Pulsar 2's:
3742 @ Telford
3756 & 3757 @ Oswestry
3806 @ Tamworth

Volvo B9TL
4115 @ Thurmaston
Would of thought Derby would have done as well seeing that all the other areas in the Midlands seems to have pride vehicles.

First Wessex has a E400MMC as well which been to other depots at Portsmouth and Southampton as well.

Towers

Established Member
I recall the rather unfortunate incident involving Plymouth Citybus, who had a vehicle in Pride rainbow livery and rather clumsily attempted to ‘repurpose’ it as a “Thank you NHS” rainbow scheme instead during the pandemic, receiving much criticism as a result.

Linked news article below:

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I always smile when I see Pride rainbows on Stagecoach buses, given their founder and previous owner’s homophobic political campaigning in the past.

I think they’re a good thing, and the world is a better place for them.

Bristol LH

First Cymru has Volvo B9TL-Wright Gemini 2 36212:

busesrusuk

There are a number around and about although London hasn't had one for some time. The last couple from memory was a Borismaster and an E400 - pics below:

First Essex have this:

Nottingham:

Caught up with a Stagecoach one yesterday on a trip to Cambridge:

Hophead

Established Member
I'm sure it won't surprise anyone to hear that Brighton & Hove have such a vehicle. No. 439 is, strictly, in a Diversity wrap, and has been for several years, having earlier been just devoted to Pride.

As I write, the bus is on the 22 heading for Woodingdean.

I've stolen a couple of images for you off the company's fleet history pages, showing the evolution of the livery.

Attachments

• gem439l.jpg
    gem439l.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 54
  • gem439ooo.jpg
    gem439ooo.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 54

Ridercross

National Express West Midlands has ADL E400 4905 in Pride livery. This is actually painted rather than wrapped, so has been in service in the livery for a couple of years.

Strathclyder

Established Member
When promoting inclusivity and acceptance in (and out) the workplace? Beyond a shadow of a doubt, particularly with the pushback against the LGBTQ community both at home and internationally in mind. Pride buses/trains are a good step in getting that message across in a effective, far-reaching way.

The world is that much better for having them.

Dai Corner

Established Member
When promoting inclusivity and acceptance in (and out) the workplace? Beyond a shadow of a doubt, particularly with the pushback against the LGBTQ community both at home and internationally in mind. Pride buses/trains are a good step in getting that message across in a effective, far-reaching way.

The world is that much better for having them.
Have LGBT people ever felt excluded from catching the bus?

As a passenger I've never given a second thought about the sexuality of the driver or other passengers.

As a passenger I've never given a second thought about the sexuality of the driver or other passengers.
Well it is not bus travel in particular. Buses can work as a mobile banner to promote LGBTQ equality within their area of operation. And lets face it, it looks a lot nicer than standard operator liveries.

Strathclyder

Established Member

You personally may not give it a second thought, but certain sections of society do and have loudly and often violently done so for decades/centuries, which is the whole point of these Pride buses (and trains for that matter): to push back against bigotry, suppression and violence and promote equality and acceptance.

Well it is not bus travel in particular. Buses can work as a mobile banner to promote LGBTQ equality within their area of operation.
Mobile equality banners for the local LGBTQ communities is perhaps the best description I've yet heard for them. Put it better than I ever could.

JD2168

The majority of Stagecoach Yorkshire & Chesterfield buses on a near side window have gained a sticker which is a heart shape with rainbow colours inside it with Proud to Serve written underneath.

leedslad82

I wouldn't say excluded but I've had some really uncomfortable journeys due to homophobes on a bus - some of the vile things they were spouting. The problem is no one backs you up if you say anything. I've got off and waited for another bus before now

Last edited by a moderator:

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Afternoon, all.

I'd like to remind everyone of the need to be respectful when posting on the forum. If there is a specific post that you think is causing offence, please refrain from engaging and use the report link; by replying, you risk inflaming the situation and you make it more difficult for us to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.